Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-21-2014 02:30 AM
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sleeve Gastrectomy Benefits

One of the greatest benefits of this type of procedure is that no intestinal bypass is performed, which avoids long-term complications such as vitamin deficiencies, ulcers or intestinal obstructions in patients who undergo more traditional forms of lap banding, stomach stapling or gastric bypass procedures.

Removing nearly 85% of the stomach along a vertical line following the major curve of the stomach, opened edges are reattached to form what may literally form a "sleeve" in the shape of a banana. The procedure may be performed laparoscopically, which helps to reduce surrounding muscle and tissue damage and reduces hospital stays.
    Reason: wrong spelling

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleeve Gastrectomy Benefits

Vitamin deficiency and acid reflux are a part of the concerns tied to this procedure actually. I don't have the particular numbers off hand, but you're not out of the woods with the gastric sleeve. Also, strictures are among the concerns with the sleeve.

I'm 4 days post op and have been prescribed an anti-acid, which I must take for a minimum of 2 months to prevent damage to the lining of the stomach (which of course can lead to ulcers). Also, taking vitamins is a life-time dedication. If you're considering the procedure, definitely research the risks and talk to a surgeon (multiple if you can) and your GP as well. I don't have enough posts yet to share some links with you, but I can certainly follow-up if you wish.

If you are talking to a surgeon, you're being mislead if that's the information you were given. Good luck!