Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    12-16-2015 11:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Mexico sleevers & other self pay question

Mexico Sleevers & Other Self Pay

My insurance specifically excludes bariatric in their contract, so I’ve been thinking about going the self pay route. Since surgery is so expensive in the US, I’ve been researching having it done in Mexico because I would be able to get it done there for only $4,500. Everything I’ve read on here from people who have had surgery in Mexico is 99.9% positive and I believe them, but the fact of the matter is, is that it’s still in Tijuana, Mexico. All my friends and family strongly advise against it and their negative thoughts are starting to worry me

Anyways, my question is would it be possible to find a brand new health plan with a new insurance company? Yeah, you would probably be paying a lot monthly, but even if your health insurance was $400 a month, that only adds up to $4,800 a year which is either slightly more or even much less than what you would pay to have it done in Mexico. Is this possible?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mexico sleevers & other self pay question

I am not sure about finding a new policy. I personally am a self-pay patient and I was able to finance the whole thing. The surgeons office here also has different rates for self-pay versus insurance claims. It cost me 14,500 for the procedure and that is including the anestheologist and one night stay at the surgical center. Have you spoken with a surgeon in the area about options? I am not going to say for you not to go to Mexico, it just wasnt for me due to my wife having fears of me being a medical tourist. She was more comfortable with me having a local surgeon. Godspeed on your journey and remember this is YOUR journey and you have to do what is right for you.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member amyswisher's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Idk, maybe my research was not on point, but I did look into that. I actually did a google search like "affordable care act and bariatric surgery"... It was saying that the plans in the "marketplace" (at least here in ky) do not cover weight loss surgeries. Now, having said that, each state's plans are different. Surprisingly if I had qualified for Medicaid, it covers the entire thing with no issue...alas, I am planning Tijuana. It was a tough decision for me too, and my family and boyfriend are still pretty nervous about the decision. I am an RN...my boyfriend is a paramedic...one thing he insists on is accompanying me just to make sure I'm safe (no complaints here). There are other cities like Puerto Vallarta and Cancun that usually run between $5500-$9000 depending on the surgeon (Dr. Lopez is one for instance). These are more resort and tourist locations. I would advise to just fill out a ton of those request info thingies on a bunch of sites. Then sit down and make a list of the questions you want answered...ie cost, locations, itinerary, financing?, facility (hospital or clinic), how many surg done in one day...stuff like that.

Now, when it came to convincing my family and loved ones, I have discussed with them a lot of the info that I have found concerning US vs Mex... First, experience. Yes, there are a ton of Drs in the US doing this surgery. BUT it still seems fairly new to them..they are still preferring the band or bypass route. The Docs in Mex have been doing this for quite awhile. Secondly, from the info I have looked through, it seems a bit more common to have a leak from US vs Mex... I'm not sure of this info, but it's seeming that way...I also discovered that a lot (everyone I looked at in the US from local to 3000 mi away) of the US doctors just keep you in the hospital overnight. I was amazed. Even some of the Mex docs that send you to a hotel to recover, still have you come back after a couple of days for leak tests and to have the drain removed...maybe this is the reason for so many US leaks?! Also, cost is a factor. The facilities (most) are comparable if not superior to the US, and yet you do not deal with all of the corporate or governmental costs down there. Finally, if you do get insurance that will pay (yay), go ahead and plan to wait a bit for surgery. There are usually the nutrition appts (even classes), psych evals, and other (red tape) requirements that have to be met.

I spent several weeks buried in info. I did searches on here for Docs. I did google searches. I also did YouTube searches for videos (several people chronical their journey including opinions, and reviews of facilities and companies). I made lists, a spreadsheet comparing costs, and have a dedicated email folder for all of the info I was sent lol. If you want any info on anything, PM me...

Good luck on your journey, you will find a ton of info and support on here. Along with many people who are VERY strongly opinionated about their doctor . Take your time in looking, but realize that there are MANY good choices...I've only seen one Mex Doc that I just refuse to go to

Sorry so long...insomnia tonight lol

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

I was a self pay as well. Had my surgery with Dr Borland in New Iberia,Louisiana for 9800.00. Its done as an outpatient and you pay to stay in a local hotel a couple of days and he comes there to see you. Great experience and I couldnt be happier:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    04-16-2014 10:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Just FYI. I paid 5600 for mine in the US. 90
    Percent of over weight patients have a hyiena hernia. My insurance covers this hernia 100 percent. My Dr repaired the hernia and performed the sleeve saving me half the cost. Check with your surgeon about this.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bigworm882001's Avatar
    Name
    Bert
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nicole Basa
    Last Activity
    07-25-2014 10:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

Best of luck to you. I only say this. Do what's right for you. Your family obviously doesn't understand why you want to have the surgery or need to have the surgery. It's your body and health to consider not theirs.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

I didn't go to Tijuana. I use to go there all the time when we lived in San Diego. So I went to Puerto Vallarta. beautiful place and I felt like I was on vacation. I also had thought about Cancun but I wanted to go with Dr Lopez so PV it was and it was awesome

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigworm882001's Avatar
    Name
    Bert
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nicole Basa
    Last Activity
    07-25-2014 10:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

Really? More leaks in the US...okay please show the statistics that prove this.

Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gluck
    Last Activity
    11-28-2015 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgeon has did over 2800 bypass and 750 sleeve surgeries, national US average is 2% have leaks (according to my surgeon) and my surgeon has .2% leakage, national average is 2 out of a 100 leak and my surgeon has 2 out of a 1000. My clinic also has a relationship with a company that finances the surgery and the clinic also charges less for self pay. Luckly I am 65 years old and Medicare paid eveyting. I had no complications tions and thrilled with results.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

i've read about people having surgery in Mexico and when they have complications their US insurance won't pay. Doesn't seem worth it. When i have my stomach cut out I WANT to be in the hospital for at least 2 days - not in a hotel just in case. Call me crazy.

Gastric Sleeve Member happyhabit's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    05/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-28-2015 08:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery with Dr Quinones in Mexico. I had a great experience. Fantastic, caring Doctor. He only did 2 other surgeries that day and both of them had a fantastic experience as well (We are facebook friends now and keep in touch over the last 10 months). I belong to a facebook group private group and a good number of people have had surgery with Dr Quinones and NONE have had any serious issues with surgery. He is very skilled, does a limited number a day of surgeries and has taught the procedure to other Doctors down there.

I am happy to answer any questions you have, just PM me. I am almost 10 months out and down 108 pounds. Thrilled I had my surgery for only 4500 and my HUGE success Best of luck to you

21. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    DR. Younan Nowzaradan
    Last Activity
    03-11-2015 09:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

I was self pay. I had my surgery in Houston, Tx and I paid approximately $4,500.00. My coworker and two of her family members had the gastric sleeve in Tijuana Mexico in 2012. They are all doing and looking good. They had no problems. Also my friend had her surgery there on the 9th of this month. As of this morning, she went through surgery with no problems. I was going to have my surgery there also, but my doctor did if for almost the same price. I also received negative comments from family and friends. But I was determined this is for ME only. I didn't care what anyone said.

When in doubt, always pray and ask God for his guidance.
    Good luck

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dayton
    Surgeon
    not picked yet
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I to have been in contact and I am planning on going to Mexico I have all the same fears, Here in Canada the wait list is 10 years or over 15,000 dollars if i went to another private clinic out of province. I am finding that the more I read and ask question the more confident I have become in Making a choice to head to Mexico I am still researching the Dr I want to do it and working out the financial end of things, Everyone I have told is discouraging me from going to Mexico but is based on opinions they have not facts from speaking to some one who has made the Journey to Mexico so I take it with a grain of salt. I have decided to take the necessary steps for me to be healthy. With any procedure there are risks.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jay
    Surgery date
    04/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    05-20-2014 03:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

So which doc in Mexico are you going to go with? I'm looking for a recommendation.