Surgeon
    Dr. Cantu
    Last Activity
    03-30-2014 11:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Mexico sleevers & other self pay question

No complaintswith having it done in mexico...I too was wanting to go to tijuana, but de ided not to because I live in tx at a border town myself, so decided to go to the mexico which was closer for me...n my case it was Reynosa, Tamaulipas. I was self pay aswell hkwever my surgery cost 6,9000...BUT the decision is solely yours, dont let anyone discourage u....goodluc,

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    02/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-16-2015 07:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Everyone...research your doctor, talk to people who have had the surgery done in Mexico and get their experience. I had the surgery done in Mexico by a great team of doctors and nurses and would highly recommend it. I was in the hospital for 2 days and stayed in a hotel for 3 days after. I was very well taken care of. I would recommend the dr I used in a heart beat. Good luck on your journey.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Belinda
    Surgery date
    09/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-12-2014 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 175 Times

You might want to point them to this article: These 5 Countries Provide The Best Health Care In The World | InternationalLiving.com
    The US is not on the list.

Anyhow, Tijuana is pretty much like any other big city. Your coordinating company will pick you up at the San Diego airport, drive you to your hotel/hospital and take care of you throughout. There's a very good reason that medical tourism is flourishing in Tijuana, and its not because of violence! You can also go to other cities, you aren't limited to Tijuana.

I'm a veteran of hospitals, as my mother has had about 10 major surgeries in the past few years. I can honestly say the care I recieved far exceeded the US standards I've come to expect. Sanitation was superior, nursing staff was superior, the surgeon not only consulted beforehand, but twice a day afterward, and after my 2 days in the hospital, he came to the hotel to check on my and give me post-surgical instructions. He also dropped everything in the middle of the night when another patient was having nausea and needed to be seen.

In fact, I'm considering going down for my dental next. Certainly can't afford it here! LOL!

As to medical plans, you do realize we have Covered California now? <g> But the deadline for signing up for new plans is this month. Consult an insurance agent and see what plans cover bariatric.

There are a LOT of excellent surgeons in Mexico, and a lot of really good companies who arrange the surgery. My best advice if you opt to self-pay is to make sure your US facilitator is BBB certified, takes credit cards, and is transparent about what services they provide and that they give you a breakdown of included and extra costs. Some of the "sales" don't include x-rays, records to take home, accomodations in the hospital for a companion, etc. Coordinators troll these boards looking for clients, so be aware of that. Some surgeons do factory line surgeries; to some that's an advantage because that surgeon obviously has a lot of experience. Others prefer surgeons who have a light schedule. I chose a surgeon who had a history of laproscopic experience beyond bariatric. Also check into what companies cover with follow-up care. Some offer none at all, others provide post-surgical counseling and nutritional counseling.

Anyhow, best of luck with your journey!
    Sleeved September 4 with Dr. Elias Ortiz!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anthony Petrick
    Last Activity
    10-08-2017 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SethP View Post
    I am not sure about finding a new policy. I personally am a self-pay patient and I was able to finance the whole thing. The surgeons office here also has different rates for self-pay versus insurance claims. It cost me 14,500 for the procedure and that is including the anestheologist and one night stay at the surgical center. Have you spoken with a surgeon in the area about options? I am not going to say for you not to go to Mexico, it just wasnt for me due to my wife having fears of me being a medical tourist. She was more comfortable with me having a local surgeon. Godspeed on your journey and remember this is YOUR journey and you have to do what is right for you.
    Did you get your surgery in LA? Also what portion of the cost did you have to pay prior to the surgery?
    I'm currently fighting not to lose my insurance which does cover the surgery even though its Medicaid and need a back up plan in the event that I do lose the coverage. The bariatric program I'm currently in runs upward of $14000.00 but it must be paid in full prior to surgery. I'm desperate for a Plan B because Mexico isn't an option fr me right now because I don't even have $5000 upfront.

I'm curious about your details.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    12-16-2015 11:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks everyone! All your responses have been super helpful and encouraging! Mexico it is!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents