03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    10-29-2020 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Default Hi my name is Deb and I am obese... but not for much longer!

Hello all,

I had a gastric sleeve on March 7 at the INT Hospital in Tijuana with Dr. Ismael Cabrera and his team from the Mexican Bariatric Center.

I am 46, weighed 238 lbs when I started my pre-op diet on February 22, and have had a life-long love affair with food. At my heaviest, I was between 260 and 270 lbs; at my lowest in recent history (within the last 20 years) I made it to 188 lbs. I have bounced up and down within that range far too often, and recent issues with my knees and ankle that virtually stole my mobility made me decide to take the plunge into weight loss surgery. I know several people who have had bariatric surgery - 2 had RNY and three had the gastric sleeve. I chose the sleeve because it was less invasive and less expensive, and has a faster recovery time.

I can't say enough about how awesome the Mexico Bariatric Center and my coordinator Cindy are! They take excellent and thorough care of you. You stay in hospital (yes in hospital, not shunted around to a recovery home) for two nights after your surgery. The nurses check your IV, administer your meds, change your dressings, check your vitals regularly and with diligence, and they are all so kind and gentle. TRUST ME - if you are considering Mexico for the sleeve, Mexico Bariatric Center is the place to go.

So here I am at the end of day thee post-surgery, feeling amazingly well and so happy I made this decision. I'd like to say that New Whey Protein shots taste like artificial fruit flavour mixed with liquid aminos (that means they are foul, btw), Isopure clear protein drinks are da bomb (especially apple melon), and the Grand Hotel Tijuana has a great post-bariatric section on their room service menu (Zero vitamin water, chicken broth, sugar-free gelatin). Also, if you drink just the broth from their Healthy Tlalpeno Soup, you will find it is nutritious and delicious!

Wow... I guess I really went on a spiel there, LOL. Oh well, I've gotta share with someone, right? I think I'll go have some jello now

Deb
    Reason: fix date
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi my name is Deb and I am obese... but not for much longer!

Welcome to the losers bench. We surely do look at things differently from this side of the fence. Godspeed on your recovery.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hadar spivak
    Last Activity
    04-02-2014 05:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Hi my name is Deb and I am obese... but not for much longer!

Hey welcome to this forum.

I wish you a very fast recovery.

Take care!

6. Said thanks: