03/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    12-01-2015 08:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Re: A sleeve for 60 lbs. Am I insane???

You asked my 2 cents, here it is.

The devil is in the details. If you're 6'-4" and otherwise healthy, 60 pounds is not that bad.

But if you're shorter and have co-morbidities (diabetes, potential for diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc), then I think that 60 pound is rather bad.

What I am coming to grips with, along with everyone else here, is that gastric surgery is merely a kick start to a healthier person. Changes will be needed to lifestyle to get you where you want to be.

Best of luck.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-21-2014 12:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am in the same boat as you. I have not had surgery yet and that is exactly what I need to loose, 60 lbs. I also don't have co-morbidity health concerns other than high triglycerides. With that being said, my epiphany happened when I knew that if I could have lost the 60 lbs AND KEPT IT OFF for the rest of my life, i would've done that already. One of the previous posts mentions how yo-yo dieting is so bad for you. It is!!!!
    I don't want to wait until I have diabetes, heart problems, high cholesterol or weight starts creeping up more than it already has. I am 36 years old. I can only see my weight starting to creep up. Do i want to be heavy another 10 years or do I want to start living free of weight???? I answered my question and currently interviewing doctors. However, this is such a personal decision because only you know how comfortable you are with your weight. I have a 9 and 2 year old and for me, expanding my life another 10-15 years (per a study i read about) is worth it. 60 lbs to be gone and out of my life FOREVER coming up....

Best of luck and hope your decision is the right one for YOU!!!!!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    01/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had the sleeve surgery to lose 60 lbs. My PCP stated that I was a good candidate for the surgery. I have high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and prediabetes. My body became resistant to losing weight. I tried every diet and would only lose 5 lbs over a 3 month period! My mother passed away at age 54 from heart disease and diabetes complications.
    People would say to me, "you're not big enough for WLS" I think people are too quick to judge and/or they are jealous. I have not made my surgery "public info." I have only shared with my closest friends and family only.
    I think you need to choose what will make you happiest. Don't let negative people get you down.
    My belief is that once I have lost the weight, I will not be gaining it back....My stomach is so small. My fear is that I will lose too much weight.
    Further, the good thing about not needing to lose as much is that you shouldn't have the loose skin issues that many face after the huge weight loss. (Age dependent, of course)
    Do what you feel is right for you. Do your research in selecting your surgeon. I had a great experience in Mexico; feel free to message me if I can answer any questions.
    My best to you.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I don't think it's crazy at all. I was told it was "ridiculous" to have this surgery done over wanting to lose 60 or 70 pounds. By a former friend who had the surgery herself.
    I got to a point where I was only gaining or dieting to stay stuck at that same spot on the scale. Others don't have to live your life with the overweight or feel bad about themselves. I think also keep in mind - that 60 pounds could be 80 or 100 or more if nature takes its course.

So I was thinking - yeah - former friend might approve if I gain another 50 pounds, but I decided I did not want to get even heavier in order for others to decide if they approve of my decision. It's my life. My cholesterol was already high, apple shaped body that is at high risk for developing heart disease or diabetes.
    Nothing wrong with being proactive and doing this before you are morbidly obese, rather than wait and go into surgery with even more comorbidities.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

raycharles921...I expect to lose 60 lbs. You betcha!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 08:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

I "only" had 65 to lose on my 5'1" frame, it might as well have been a 100,at least thats what it felt like!
    Ive said it on this forum before, I would do it again in a heartbeat, only sooner. Just like some have said it is a very personal decision, I didnt want to gain anymore weight to justify having this surgery in the eyes of others. I wanted a tool to help me lose the weight once and for all and keep it off! Im 1 1/2 years out and am confident with the way ive been eating, I will maintain my weightloss.
    I say your not crazy, go for it!!!
    Ill be here for you if you have any questions.
    Surgery day weight 9/26/12 187lbs, 10/26 167lbs 18" lost, 11/26 160 lbs 24" lost, 12/26 151 35" gone, 1/26/13 145.6lbs 41.5" lost, 2/26 140 lbs. 6.5" lost, reached goal weight 10 months out , 66 lbs and 62 total inches gone!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alamanza
    Last Activity
    09-05-2014 10:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Actually, there are many journal articles/studies regarding GREAT patient outcomes with patients that undergo gastric sleeve surgery with BMI's under 35. The current recommended guidelines for a "minimum" BMI are dropping.

If anyone is interested in the articles, I can give you the information.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

My weight loss hasn't even reached 60 pounds yet. But one thing I know for a certainty is that if I had to go back in time and make the decision again, I would do it in a heartbeat. Any day of the week. Absolutely.

Name
    Jason
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Wizman
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

If you really want to have the surgery think of it this way, it's not that your just want to lose those 60 lbs but you want to avoid the extra 10-20-30 lbs extra that your "future" self might have gained in addition to the 60 lb. Before the surgery I was at 360 lb. I'm 37 at 260 now and my goal is 200, which would be pretty lean on me. I would love to hop in a time machine and tell myself to do this surgery 10 yrs ago when I was only 27 and weighed the same 260 lb. That would've saved a lot of physical problems that have come up the last 10 yrs (most of which would've helped avoid if I didn't gain so much weight). I have YoYo'd 50-60 lb at least 5-6 times in those years and every time I gained it back I'd gain an extra 10 lb. I could always lose the weight, but it would always come back. With the surgery, at this point I would really have to force myself to mess this up.

So to sum up, you're thinking of getting a gastric sleeve when you have to lose 60, then try 2 questions. Can you lose it on your own? Can you keep it off on your own? If either of the answers are No, then I'd say it's worth a shot.