Dr. Garth Davis
    Last Activity
    03-03-2015 08:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default NEW. Not Sure About Getting Sleeve

Hi to all.
    I just received a series of new diagnoses related to my morbid obesity. I am a 62 y.o female. I always had blood pressure that ran kinda low. But, past 2 weeks, it has been running very high. I have been pre-diabetic for 4 years running. Now, the doctor wants me to start diabetic meds---tablet. She also wants me to get tested for sleep apnea. I am 5' 3.5 " and weight 231 lbs. there is a long family hx of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes (mom, dad, 3 brothers). I've had breast cancer. I know I have been in denial about the impact of my wgt. For the past 30 years I have lost and re-gained 70 or 80 pounds---time and time again. For the past 2 years, I have been "tryng" to stay on the last diet---South Beach---that I used to lose the previous 70 pounds. I cannot stick to it. So, right now I vacillate---one day, I am good to go to getting the sleeve----the next day I tell my self that willpower will get me there and to just stop fooling around. Then I don't know what to decide. I just got back from spending a week in Paris (lifelong dream--saved $$$ for a long time) with my sister and brother (8 & 7 years younger). It was a wonderful week, however, I was always lagging behind, had to take frequent breaks from walking or climbing steps. At night, I had to practically slather all ofmy body with pain ointment and take muscle relaxers b/c my feet, ankles, and knees hurt so much. I am most afraid of life after the surgery. Will I be one of the ones that violates the requirements and again stretches my stomach? How will I be different when eating with others? Please help me with your stories, thoughts. I just joined so I have not explored this website thoroughly. I appreciate your willingness to share and help me.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Smolik
    Last Activity
    01-23-2015 08:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Default Re: NEW. Not Sure About Getting Sleeve

It is life changing, for most of us , POSITIVE,
    We all can decide to sabotage ourselves, it comes down to 2 words
    "I Decided"

Decide to Not sabotage yourself, it is so worth it! To go shopping and Want to try on clothes! Lol

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

Welcome:-) Only you can decide what works for you. I do not regret getting the sleeve one bit! Im 5 feet tall and was 219#. In three months, I am down 47#! It is a life changing event but the change in your stomach size is just part of the solution. You have to change your thinking about food. Thats the hard part for many. Yes there are folks that stretched out their pouch and regained. But, there are many others that have not. Every decision you make about what to put in your mouth is YOUR decision. Yes, having the sleeve is challenging at times but for me, the good far outweighs the bad. Best of luck in your decision:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad you are here! The people are really supportive here and full of great information! Best wishes as you go through your journey!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-26-2014 11:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 125 Times

I weighed 383.6. Had high blood pressure, fibro myalgia, sleep apnea, plus I have asthma. I had the gastric sleeve done August 23rd. I lost 48.6 lbs. Before my surgery. I've lost 108 more since my surgery. I no longer have to take blood pressure pills. My breathing is way better. My fibro myalgia doesn't seem to flare up as often and I feel great!!! This is something for each person to decide if it is right for them. But honey This woman is so thankful she had it done!!! I have more energy. I Don't huff and puff. Lol Take care

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 132 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,927 Times

Most people look into this surgery and it takes them a while to wrap their heads around it and then make a decision. I went to the first seminar back in 2008. Then I condemned myself for even considering it, as I "used" to be a runner. Also, I kept telling myself that I was not big enough to have the surgery (I am around 37 or 38 bmi). Fast forward several years and the health problems have bombarded me. For me, the hardest part (so far) was actually deciding that I didn't want to be miserable anymore, so I am going for it.

I am pre-op and I feel a sense of relief that I feel like I've made a decision.

Only you can make the decision. Arm yourself with knowledge first and then decide.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garth Davis
    Last Activity
    03-03-2015 08:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Melrose,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to me. I am definitely having to deal with the same negative judgements about taking this route. Even with the health issues I'm still in the---"do I really need to do this stage?"I wake up one morning and I am good to go. Then the next day---oh, no. no, no. I am blessed to have the most wonderful husband who has loved me through all of my "sizes" and always tells me I'm beautiful. He is being completely supportive and has encouraged me to---go for it. He said, "I need you in my life. The health issues might take you away from me."

I did submit all of paperwork today to the Bariatric center---while I continue to research and make an informed decision.

I am so excited for you that you made the decision to celebrate you and are now pre-op. What is the next step for you?

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-04-2014 12:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Parisslim,
    Welcome! Getting past sleep apnea is GREAT -- and easy. Initially, I was in denial (that I needed to wear a mask to sleep) but dealt with it when I ended up in the hospital with fluid on one lung and atrial fibrillation (irregular/racing heart) -- because of the unattended Sleep Apnea. I was my own worst enemy!

Sleeping with a CPAP mask is great because of the absolute feeling of wellbeing that results.
    pmhlb

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

Parisslim ... I am just over 3 weeks post-op. I understand your feelings of uncertainty . I think we all have them to a degree. I am 62 and decided it was time .. Lower BMI but several health issues. I felt as time went on that I would gain more weight and the health issues would get worse.
    That being said if you have health insurance , there wrestles that your insurance and your doctor have you complete before surgery. You can start these steps and learn more as you go through them . Remember you will have until the day of surgery to change your mind . This was a good choice for me. I started the process in Jan.2013... Needed several medical clearances and three months with a dietitian. By starting the process , I was able to e sure that I had insurance coverage and that medically I could have the surgery .. Did not want to stress if. I would get it done until Iknew that health wise and insurance wise I qualified... And as I said the time involved answered many of my questions and doubts .. Good luck on whatever you decide is best for you
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...