Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default New, but NOT so new!

Hi, I'm Lyndsie. And I wanted to give a brief in-site to my experience thus far. I live in Central Illinois and was working religiously with another bariatric surgeon, Dr. Sajida Ahad. I started working her with her about two years ago, and since that time, it has literally been the most awful time I've ever been with a physician. My journey started by attending a free seminar, where she went though the expectations and procedures in brief detail. After leaving that night, I knew that this was something that I was going to commit myself to. I went through the physical examination, mental examinations, and EGD, EKG, blood test, and any other requirement she deemed necessary. Then I was told AFTER I'd been though all of this and paid my out of pocket expenses (what insurance didn't pay) that I would have to lose 40-50 pounds on my own, just to show my determination. Now as I'm sure most of us here have struggled with our weight almost half or more of our lives. And it seems no matter what or how well we made changes, they're not permanent and the weight came back on! I was seeing Dr. Ahad's nurse and dietician monthly just to feel like I was making no progress and that I was nothing but a burden and waste of time to them, literally! And Friday morning, I received a certified letter in the mail, stating that I've been discharged from her her program for "NON COMPLIANCE". I've tried time and time again to lose weight, and believe me I didn't pay all the time and money just to be "discharged" from her program. And now for the real kicker!! I work for a hospital and due to our insurance, Dr. Ahad is the only bariatric surgeon, my insurance covers. So this is where I've found myself. I'm looking for all other options to help in this journey! If you have any suggestions or information please feel free to share!

Heres to wishing everyone a happy, healthy and safe journey to a better life! Cheers!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member savagegrace's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/26/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-12-2016 07:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default Re: New, but NOT so new!

Wow, that is a load of crap! That is a lot of weight to lose in order to get a weight loss surgery. Why in the world should you have to prove your dedication by losing that amount of weight? Her requirements don't seem like they were surgically necessary, and unless she was doing it for free to begin with, then she shouldn't drop you like that. She set you up for a quick failure, and I don't know who you should talk to about her, but I would stay on top of it. Not to be rude, but how much do you weigh anyhow?

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Ya that is a load of crap. I weigh 260 and was told by my firt doctor to lose nothing. My second doctor, the one I am using said to lose 5 pounds. Is there another doctor in a nearby town you could travel to?

Gastric Sleeve Member brightnessofhope's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Reynoso
    Said "Thanks" 297 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry- that is really disheartening. Hugs. I hope you find another option.

Surgery Weight: 287

Gastric Sleeve Member awholenewme77's Avatar
    Name
    D
    Surgery date
    12/30/2013
    Surgeon
    John Marsden
    Last Activity
    05-06-2015 03:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 77 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 66 Times
    Blog Entries

my dr only made me by less than where i started... i did end up losing like 10 lbs... look for another surgeon

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I would report that doctor to the medical board if they didn't refund 100% of your money.

I'm not sure what your out of pocket expenses would have been if you were allowed to follow through with the procedure, but, if they would have been in the $5,000.00 range, then going to Mexico or Canada is probably your best alternative. Loads and loads and loads of people (me included) have had the procedure done in Mexico with incredible success. I won't tell you who to use. You need to do your due diligence and choose for yourself.

Most folks have a deductible that is in the $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 range and and then 80/20 after that up to around 10K. So, right there your out of pocket is going to be close to 4k at a minimum and 6k max if you have the procedure done locally and use your health insurance. If your deductible is the family kind, like mine is, then the deductible is much higher and the out of pocket is too.

I tell you this so you won't be discouraged. The only barrier you will find in getting the surgery done out of the country is the ability for you to get there.

These folks make it about as easy as you need it to be to get this done.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 132 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,927 Times

I'm so sorry! That is a load of crap.

Yes, at the very least file a complaint. Your insurance or employer or both should have some guidelines for filing a complaint. Maybe it will save someone else from this surgeon.

I would look at it as a blessing-in-disguise. I wouldn't want that surgeon operating on me....but PLEASE file a complaint.

Gastric Sleeve Member gregorygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. "Pop"
    Last Activity
    09-22-2015 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 235 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 545 Times
    Blog Entries

I would fight her decision!

Gastric Sleeve Member teddtlove's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Wegner
    Last Activity
    05-17-2015 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

That is crazy. That much weight to lose on your own is a lot. I hope it works out for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lyndsie
    Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their words of encouragement! It truly does mean a lot to me. A common theme to the post that I've read is for me to look for other providers. Unfortunately, due to my insurance and being an employee of a particular hospital, my insurance ONLY COVERS THIS ONE PHYSICIAN. This is why I am at such a loss as to what to do! I have looked into Dr. Almanza, but I am petrified of going to another country for surgery. Anyone with anymore insite and or suggestions please please please share, I'm going nuts! thanks!

lynz