Surgeon
    Dr. Sung B. Kim
    Last Activity
    03-07-2016 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 400+ lbs Sleevers

I'd like to hear from those who were 400+ prior to surgery. A lot of info I've gotten so far has been from people who have been 299 or less with a few less than 350. I'm wondering how the whole process has been for those of us in the super fluffy range. Please don't hold back. I'd like be prepared as best I can. Everything from surgery complications, to how weigh loss progressed to how things are now. Especially those who are several months to a year post op. I'd also like to know if you are happy with the sleeve, or do you wish you went with RNY. If you could change anything, what would it be?

I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I'm just over 2 months away from fulfilling my insurance requirements, so I'm getting really close! Both excited and nervous!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr, Vorha
    Last Activity
    05-01-2014 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: 400+ lbs Sleevers

Hi, I was 401 when I went in for my sleeve. I am so happy with it! I think the hardest part for me was the liquid diet pre-op but after that I was good. I can pretty much eat everything just a lot less of it. I only got sick once and that was very early on. I learned very quickly never eat and drink at the same time. If I eat to fast I get nauseous. I didn;t exercise in the beginning but I am now, walking and riding a bike.
    I did not have any complications from the surgery except that now I am loosing my hair. But I'll take that over where I came from, failing health.
    I am off all of my medications except the vitamins, iron and calcium I take since the surgery. Good luck !

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

HAH!!! I got everyone beat.....lol.

Dubious Honor. I was 530 when I went to Dr. Almanza. Take a look at my before and after photos. The before photo was the morning of my surgery. The after picture was on my 1 year anniversary. As a hugely obese person, I can tell you that I had more than a couple of reservations. But, as my favorite saying goes, I would do it again every day and twice on Sundays.

It is absolutely and positively amazing the things you forget you once did. Almost every day I remind myself that 18 short months ago, I couldn't sit in a booth or go sit in pool side furniture, or exercise without killing myself.

The only thing I was really worried about pre-op was my EKG. It was fine and so was I.

So...good luck to you. I can say for certain that this procedure saved my life. It will save yours too.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SummerDew's Avatar
    Name
    Stacey
    Surgery date
    05/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sung B. Kim
    Last Activity
    03-07-2016 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you for the input! I started at 415 lbs...my heaviest was 423. I'm right at 395 now, after doing what I can to lose the 5% prior to surgery. Still no surgery date since I'm 2 months away from insurance fulfillment. But its been on my mind the closer it gets. I'm trying to prepare myself as much as I can, but haven't found a lot of info on how the surgery has been for those of us in the 400 range. Thanks!