12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Teaching hospital

If approved, I will be having my surgery done at a teaching hospital. I don't want anyone "learning" on me. Has anyone experienced this same situation? When I had my C-section and hours later a group of "newbies" came to "learn about me" and I was in no mood I told them that I had a private Dr. and didn't want to be bothered. I am going to tell my Dr. the same. I want to be able to rest when I am in the hospital with the exception of nurses activities and my Dr.'s visits.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teaching hospital

I am at a teaching hospital also. Shands at UF. I was very concerned about that also and was going to raise that question to the doc himself. But once I met his fellow and saw his confidence, I asked the fellow a ton of questions. I really did not care at that point any more. I mean, I care dont get me wrong but either way I know a very highly qualified medical team will be all around to make sure nothing bad goes wrong. I feel very safe.

I think you can request no students.

Name
    Misti
    Surgery date
    08/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samshadeen
    Last Activity
    02-18-2015 01:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

You can request no students BUT how else will they learn? I always welcome to be the students patients. Usually they will give me more up front and honest answers then the actual doctors also. lol

Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    02/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-16-2015 07:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

The best care I ever received was from students. I think I would put a limit on it though. LOL Like don't bug me when I'm sleeping. The students also learnt that I gave myself my insulin and that was the end of that. In Canada we little or no choice when it came to students but I'm with you. At this stage of my journey I want the Dr. and nurse and no one else to bug me. LOL

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

My hospital was a teaching hospital and my surgeon's fellow was present at the surgery and might have opened and closed and assisted but the actual procedure was done by the surgeon himself. Most of my aftercare was done by the fellow in the hospital (and also my PCP's student) and I was perfectly happy. My cardiologist is a different story, I won't let his fellow near me because of her attitude. It all depends on the person. If you have concerns, meet the fellow beforehand and ask exactly what input they will have to the actual surgery. If you don't like them, don't have them perform, just assist.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

As a old nurse ,I was a student at one time . I have never minded students in my room .. They have to "ask" you permission to do my procedure so rest assured your doctor will operate.
    I have left them do same non invasive procedures .
    When my son was about 11/ 12 ,he had been going to a "Children's Hospital " it was a learning hospital .
    They were very good about asking the child how they felt about some things. A young intern came into the room and ask my son if he would mind him doing another short exam and asking him some questions.. At this point maybe. 6/8 months of doctors and not to many answers my son said,
    "I do not care." It was that exam and that intern that asked THE QUESTION that gave us atleast a clue of what was going on!
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    01/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jerome Schrapps
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 10:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I was asked if I wanted to allow students to observe/etc. I agreed because I know firstly, they have had a lot of schooling. They've also had to watch the procedure several times, and they will be under strict supervision of the surgeon. Nobody wants to have someone "practice" on them, but really, the only way to learn in the medical field is through experience.

How are these people going to learn unless they're allowed to observe and participate? They won't. If we all deny them, surgeons will become extinct :P

It's also not like they're going to say "Here you go, person with no education who has never seen this procedure before. Operate on her. Have fun. We'll be out doing something else. Page us if something happens!" It's not as scary as it sounds. I promise!

Gastric Sleeve Member teddtlove's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Wegner
    Last Activity
    05-17-2015 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

It is your body and you have to do what you are comfortable with. I also agree thought that students have to learn sometime.