Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    01-12-2015 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default after having your surgery in Mexico question

After coming home from surgery in Mexico, did you have any type of follow up? How do you know when they say after "doctor release" from surgery? Just curious on what to expect after I come home...
    2 week Pre Op: 276 - Lost 10 pounds total
    1 week Post Op: 259 - Lost 17 pounds Total
    1 month Post Op: 248 - Lost 28 pounds total
    2 month Post Op: 234 - Lost 42 pounds total
    3 month Post Op: 226 - Lost 50 pounds total
    4 month Post Op: 215 - Lost 61 pounds total
    5 month Post Op: 210.8 Lost 65.8 pounds total

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    JENNIFER
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    12-03-2014 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: after having your surgery in Mexico question

you should have that set up with your PCP....They should be your after care doctor.

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Does your PCP know are having surgery in Mexico? If so, have they agreed to do your aftercare if needed? I am very lucky as my PCP was extremely supportive of my decision to have surgery in Mexico. She knew that I did my research and came from a medical family so she was completely on board. Your surgeon in Mexico should offer some type of follow up care in the form of a survey, etc... that asks you how you are feeling, symptoms, making sure you are keeping hydrated etc.. Honestly.. there really wasn't anything that I needed from my PCP once I got back home. I had 3 very small incisions that were sutured and covered with surgi glue so there was nothing that needed removed. I took over the counter Priolosec for my heartburn meds so didn't need a script. I did go and see her about 4 weeks post-op just to make sure my chart was updated with my weight loss etc.. She was thrilled with my success and so impressed with my experience that she asked my permission to mention my story to other patients of hers that were struggling with their weight. 9 months after my surgery I started to experience horrible pains which I assumed were my gall bladder. I called my surgeon in Mexico (Yes, I have his cell phone number) and he told me to tell my PCP to order a gall bladder scan and upper GI to rule out any "sleeve issues". She agreed and ordered the tests right away. The upper GI was perfectly fine but my gall bladder was full of stones and sludge. I went to a local surgeon with the results and had my gall bladder removed a month later. No issues since.... Here I am almost 2 years out and 8 months pregnant with my first baby... No issues at all.. Great pregnancy and have picked up 23lbs..... I feel fantastic!!

I couldn't have asked for a better PCP... She is truly a blessing!

Best of Luck!!

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-27-2015 09:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barrbdoll View Post
    does your pcp know are having surgery in mexico? If so, have they agreed to do your aftercare if needed? I am very lucky as my pcp was extremely supportive of my decision to have surgery in mexico. She knew that i did my research and came from a medical family so she was completely on board. Your surgeon in mexico should offer some type of follow up care in the form of a survey, etc... That asks you how you are feeling, symptoms, making sure you are keeping hydrated etc.. Honestly.. There really wasn't anything that i needed from my pcp once i got back home. I had 3 very small incisions that were sutured and covered with surgi glue so there was nothing that needed removed. I took over the counter priolosec for my heartburn meds so didn't need a script. I did go and see her about 4 weeks post-op just to make sure my chart was updated with my weight loss etc.. She was thrilled with my success and so impressed with my experience that she asked my permission to mention my story to other patients of hers that were struggling with their weight. 9 months after my surgery i started to experience horrible pains which i assumed were my gall bladder. I called my surgeon in mexico (yes, i have his cell phone number) and he told me to tell my pcp to order a gall bladder scan and upper gi to rule out any "sleeve issues". She agreed and ordered the tests right away. The upper gi was perfectly fine but my gall bladder was full of stones and sludge. I went to a local surgeon with the results and had my gall bladder removed a month later. No issues since.... Here i am almost 2 years out and 8 months pregnant with my first baby... No issues at all.. Great pregnancy and have picked up 23lbs..... I feel fantastic!!

I couldn't have asked for a better pcp... She is truly a blessing!

Best of luck!!
    awesome job lady!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Adair
    Surgery date
    11/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    10-12-2017 12:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 112 Times
    Blog Entries

The company I went through to go to Mexico is starting to develop an after care program. They have a coordinator that has had the surgery that keeps in touch with us. It is very important that your PCP is on board with your choice because a lot of them are not and will be difficult should you have any issues. The surgeon you ahve chosen should have some kind of post op schedule or guidelines you should follow.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents