Surgeon
    Dr. Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    12-07-2017 01:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default 3 Month Post-Op (Going Bananas)

So, I have my 12 Week (which actually ends up being 14 week) Post-Op follow-up with my surgeon on Thrusday, The last time I saw him was at 6 weeks post-op - and I was in the middle of a 2 week weigh stall - and here I am again, in yet another stall - I've only lost about 25 lbs in the last 8 weeks (i guess in perspective, that's a good thing) but I feel like I should be losing more, I don't have a high enough calorie intake to not be losing weight. I always get nervous when I have to go visit the doctor. I think I'm always worried they are going to tell me I'm doing something wrong, b/c it doesn't feel like I'm losing very much lately. I do need to workout more, but my work life has been ridiculous (I know, it shouldn't be an excuse, but I'm exhausted - something needs to give) I'm right around 65lbs weighloss - it fluctuates from day to day slightly. Is this all in my head? I feel like a crazy person. I was food obsessed before the surgery, now I'm weight obsessed. I traded one mental challenge for another.

Starting Weight: 313
    Pre-Surgery Weight: 303
    Day of Surgery: 292 (10/30/13)
    Current Weigh: 222 (5/20/14)
    Goal Weight: 150

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member curvygalgettinsmaller's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. James McGinty/St. Luke's/Roosevelt, NYC
    Last Activity
    07-27-2014 01:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 Month Post-Op (Going Bananas)

Ummm....65 pounds?!! Are you serious - that should be cause for celebration!! I think we are all too weight-obsessed!! This is not a competition, and I know for myself when I start comparing myself to others, it is a slippery slope! My doctor & Nutritionist both stress health, exercise and eating properly. Not once have they emphasized how much (or how little I've lost). I know that they are happy that I am doing well - and I think you should feel very proud too!! Many of us wish we have lost 65 pounds in 3 months!! But the main thing is, that it will all come off eventually. That is what you need to think about.

And you can remind me of that the next time I'm stressing too!!

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    07-23-2016 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I really dislike these posts...you've lost 65lbs in 3 months and don't think you've lost enough...please.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member princessdi's Avatar
    Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You have to remind yourself that 10 lbs a MONTH is average. Youre doing great!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times

I never said that I didn't think it was enough, i said that it I feel like a crazy person b/c in my mind, i feel like maybe it should be more, and that the weight stalls are frustrating. If you're incapable of positive interaction, then don't feel compelled to post. These are my own thoughts, on how I see myself and how I feel about MY journey, you don't get to sit on the other side of this and judge my feelings. We are all struggling with our own demons that surround our weight, and our journey. This is supposed to be a place for positive reinforcement and encouragement, not negativity and judgment.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chung
    Last Activity
    02-08-2016 12:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 149 Times in 131 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,381 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Lauren,

You hae been a member of this board long enough to know how silly you sound. You answered your own post in the middle of it.
    I hope I don't sound rude because I don't mean to be but dang.............your killing me Smalls (The Sandlot)
    You look great, your losing jut fine, and this is your journey!
    Take control sista! It's your year! Be Selfish!
    Don't let "Life" be your excuse to not do what you know you need to be doing.

For the love of GOD---put the scale away and stop weighing yourself daily!

Name
    Adair
    Surgery date
    11/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    10-12-2017 12:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 112 Times
    Blog Entries

I completely get the obsession! Obviously that is why we got to the places we are because we tend to obsess and yours has clearly changed...as has mine. The scale moved so fast at first and now as it slows down and regulates itself, fear and self doubt can sneak its way in and freak us out!

I too give you a high five and a huge hug at your success so far! Try not to doubt yourself, its something most overweight people have a harder time giving up than food! You are doing terrific! Good luck with your appointment and take good care of yourself!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

First of all congratulations!!! 65 pounds in 12 weeks! wow!!! I think that you know you are doing a wonderful job, but its always nice to be told. You are doing a wonderful job! Keep up the good work! I am sure your doctor feels the same way!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/31/2013
    Surgeon
    DR STEVEN LIEBMAN
    Last Activity
    05-14-2014 03:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,410 Times

I wish I'd lost 65 lbs in 3 months. My surgery was on 31/10/13 and I have lost only 37 lbs. Yes, I am slow loser and I will get to my goal eventually, hopefully by my birthday in May! I have to admit that I am still obsessed with food and like to be surrounded by food, the funny part is I roast a chicken and lasted me 2 weeks, I had to debone and freeze some portions before it goes bad, I used to consume a small chicken in one sitting.
    You are doing really well, girl friend, don't stress over the numbers, your cloths are the best judges, I bet they are hanging on you! Take care!

Gastric Sleeve Member teddtlove's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Wegner
    Last Activity
    05-17-2015 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I totally get you. No matter how much I lose it is not enough. I always second guess myself and say could I have eaten better or could I have walked more. When I hit a stall even though logically I know it will end, I have seen post of people who have lost thirty pounds and stalled for months. I know I am doing everything I should be but I am a perfectionist and I always think I should do more. I am 7 wk out I have lost 45 lbs and I still wish I had walked more or gone back to work sooner. I am working on this. Learning to find pride in little things and not be so hard on myself. You are doing great be proud.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lo_227 View Post
    I never said that I didn't think it was enough, i said that it I feel like a crazy person b/c in my mind, i feel like maybe it should be more, and that the weight stalls are frustrating. If you're incapable of positive interaction, then don't feel compelled to post. These are my own thoughts, on how I see myself and how I feel about MY journey, you don't get to sit on the other side of this and judge my feelings. We are all struggling with our own demons that surround our weight, and our journey. This is supposed to be a place for positive reinforcement and encouragement, not negativity and judgment.
    Stay positive. Im only 3 weeks out. Love my progress, but part of me feels not enough. Everyone sees the changes, got off my BP meds already, and scale and clothes show loss. But my head still says "Fat Guy", it will take awhile, 1 day at a time. Its a journey. not a race.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times

Thank you to those that understand the obsession... I think that my past "food obsession" has tunred into a "Loss Obsession" and I have really figured out how to manage that for myself yet. I am very aware of myself and what is real issues and what is "crazy" issues, but I still wake up every morning thinking I'm 300+ lbs still. I am still navigating my fears and insecurities about my journey, which are very real for me. I don't think that there is a time frame on when someone should "know better" when it comes to how they feel about their journey. I am proud of my progress, but there are days I doubt myself, my progress, my own inner demons... but that's just it... this is my journey. The whole point of posting our thoughts in these forums is to share how we are feeling about whatever it is we are going through and hoping that there is someone else out there that might be feeling the same way about themselves. We are supposed to be lifting each other up and not being bullies or negative & judgmental towards someone else's journey. I hope any of you are going through days of struggles that you find comfort through positive interaction and ignore the negative. Haven't we all beaten ourselves up enough? Isn't that really how we all got to the place we were in the first place? I hope that each and every one of you, has an amazing day today, and that your journey today was better than yesterday. &&&&& if you ever find yourself in need of some positivity just message me, I'll lift you up!

Much love <3 Lauren

Gastric Sleeve Member curvygalgettinsmaller's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. James McGinty/St. Luke's/Roosevelt, NYC
    Last Activity
    07-27-2014 01:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone on here was "bashing" you - if anything, I don't know if you realized that some people might have felt worried about not keeping up with your astonishing loss! I think part of being a friend to someone is pointing out where they might be fooling or hurting themselves! I've only seen people be good spirited and supportive on here. We all have our self-doubt and worries, and need no additional encouragement!! One thing I have learned about this process is that sometimes the brain takes a while to catch up with the body! I am only 3 months out (and only about 46 pounds) and I struggle every single day. I am learning how to not focus on the scale - an obsession hard to break!! Many people have talked about this issue, so you are not alone!!

We need each other to look at ourselves from all angles, (even if we don't always want to hear it), cuz sometimes we miss something!

Have a great day!!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Perez
    Last Activity
    02-20-2014 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Wow...my surgery is march 3. Hope I can get off to such a great start. Keep goin sistah....ur on ur way. Happy for you!

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Perez
    Last Activity
    02-20-2014 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think you are very self aware. Apon reading your most recent post i cant help but ask myself..must there not be a drop of self loathing and deep self doubt in all of us. Better yet, i will speak for myself. There must have come a time when i was putting the weight i worked so hard to take off back on that i could have gone in the other direction towards stoping all that went into getting back here. Much of my weight came from medication i no longer take that made he truly ravenous at night. Even so, maybe i didnt think i deserved the happiness i found at being thin. I can either have food or my health/weight and not both. I hope i learn to fill my needs in other ways to make the most of my upcoming surgery. I need to work on feeling worth it... I have beaten myself up over my weight and appearance soo much it will be a huge shift. Im glad your post has made me think about this because its really important stuff. Its about health and happiness after all, isnt it?

27. Said thanks: