Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

Default Today is my 3monthversary!!!

I can't believe time flies just like this, on August 10th I was having surgery and here I am 3 months after very happy of what I have accomplished.
    Yes, some people may think or say that if we go the bariatric surgery path we are lazy or lack will power, but let me tell you something all of us have struggled with weight problems most of our lives and have tried about everything and have additional health situations related or agravated by our weight.
    Bariatric surgery is not magic, we have to diet and be disciplined too, the VSG is just a "tool" that will help us achieve our goal. If we don't change our life style, eating habits and rely everything on the sleeve we can eventually re-gain weight. I have in fact seen people that haven't been able to reach their goal because of this.
    The most shocking words about the VSG I've heard so far came from my psychologist, she told me, we will operate your stomach, not your brain... that is so true, and I think about that every day because even though I don't feel hunger sometimes my brain plays tricks on me...the anxiety to eat is not really in the stomach but in the brain, and that's what we have to control.
    I have had my episodes but when that happens I talk to a friend or send her an email (she understands because she had a gastric bypass) it is good to have someone that understands how you feel.
    I've been so happy these days watching my body shrink, getting compliments from everyone, even people that are not really my friends but work in the same building come to me and tell me how great I look...
    When I was 216 lbs I had to wake up 1 hr early to find something to wear because nothing fit me anymore...now I do the same but because all my clothes are bigger and I have not bought a lot because I am still loosing a lot of weight. I went from a size 12-14 to a 7-8 and this feels great!!!
    In 3 months I've lost a total of 52.5 lbs...I can't wait for this Christmas shopping I am not severely obese anymore, just overweight...and I am only 9.5 lbs (4.2 kg) away of my healthy weight, my goal...although I will be loosing a little more not to be borderline.

I've seen people dying or going into coma due to bariatric surgery, I've seen people who haven't lost all the weight they should have with a procedure like this or people who have gained back weight after bariatric surgery and none of this made me change my mind about doing it...every person is different and I have the determination to succeed, I think that's the key.

I am enjoying every minute of this new life I have, so if you're thinking about it, don't hesitate, just make sure you are well informed, find a good experienced surgeon and go for it. But remember, he will operate your stomach, not your brain...he will do 50% of the job, the other 50% is only in your hands...

Good luck!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today is my 3monthversary!!!

Inspirational! Thank you for posting this!!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2010
    Last Activity
    04-12-2011 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoyingmynewsize View Post
    I can't believe time flies just like this, on August 10th I was having surgery and here I am 3 months after very happy of what I have accomplished.
    Yes, some people may think or say that if we go the bariatric surgery path we are lazy or lack will power, but let me tell you something all of us have struggled with weight problems most of our lives and have tried about everything and have additional health situations related or agravated by our weight.
    Bariatric surgery is not magic, we have to diet and be disciplined too, the VSG is just a "tool" that will help us achieve our goal. If we don't change our life style, eating habits and rely everything on the sleeve we can eventually re-gain weight. I have in fact seen people that haven't been able to reach their goal because of this.
    The most shocking words about the VSG I've heard so far came from my psychologist, she told me, we will operate your stomach, not your brain... that is so true, and I think about that every day because even though I don't feel hunger sometimes my brain plays tricks on me...the anxiety to eat is not really in the stomach but in the brain, and that's what we have to control.
    I have had my episodes but when that happens I talk to a friend or send her an email (she understands because she had a gastric bypass) it is good to have someone that understands how you feel.
    I've been so happy these days watching my body shrink, getting compliments from everyone, even people that are not really my friends but work in the same building come to me and tell me how great I look...
    When I was 216 lbs I had to wake up 1 hr early to find something to wear because nothing fit me anymore...now I do the same but because all my clothes are bigger and I have not bought a lot because I am still loosing a lot of weight. I went from a size 12-14 to a 7-8 and this feels great!!!
    In 3 months I've lost a total of 52.5 lbs...I can't wait for this Christmas shopping I am not severely obese anymore, just overweight...and I am only 9.5 lbs (4.2 kg) away of my healthy weight, my goal...although I will be loosing a little more not to be borderline.

I've seen people dying or going into coma due to bariatric surgery, I've seen people who haven't lost all the weight they should have with a procedure like this or people who have gained back weight after bariatric surgery and none of this made me change my mind about doing it...every person is different and I have the determination to succeed, I think that's the key.

I am enjoying every minute of this new life I have, so if you're thinking about it, don't hesitate, just make sure you are well informed, find a good experienced surgeon and go for it. But remember, he will operate your stomach, not your brain...he will do 50% of the job, the other 50% is only in your hands...

Good luck!
    Thanks for the post, I just have a few questions for you.
    You say you have seen people that has died from this surgery and people that has went into a coma because of the surgery.
    Can you give us some more information about this, like how many people has died and why did they die??? and what happend to the people in the coma's and how many people in the coma????
    Are you a Dr???
    I would like to know what Dr was this and etc.
    Thanks,Lisa

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

Hi Lisa,
    I knew a person who died during bariatric surgery and another one who was in a coma for 3 days during bariatric surgery but for a different procedure called gastric bypass. Any type of surgery, bariatric or not has risks, obese people usually have co-morbilities which may complicate any type of surgery. Your question is too broad as far as how many people died and when, I can't give you those numbers. There are statistics in the world which I don't handle and every surgeon has his own personal rate of death or success.
    I decided for gastric sleeve over other bariatric procedures such as the bypass because the sleeve is a much less complicated surgery and was a recommended procedure for me by my surgeon. But not every person is a good candidate for a sleeve, that's something you should discuss with your doctor.
    I am not going to give you the doctor's name because I didn't mention about these persons death and coma to give bad publicity to any doctor. Bariatric surgery in experienced hands should not be dangerous. I only brought this issue up because death is a risk in ANY type of surgery.
    If you are considering the sleeve you should do your own homework, get to know your doctor and ask many questions, you can also research on the internet.
    And no, I am not a doctor, so that's why I don't give any medical advice.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

Hello Enjoying my new size. On the day of surgery, I was 160lbs. I am presently 141lb. The weight is coming off effortlessly. However I am following the rules and eating protein and avoiding junk foods. I will have a few goodies on the holidays but I will try and fill up on proteins and then limit myself to a pie of pie and a few holiday cookies with tea.
    I never thought I would see the day I would go smaller than size 10/12 but apparently that will happen soon. I was 200+ pre-band. Of course that was over 10 yrs. ago.
    Best wishes and good luck, Lorna Doone

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roberto Rumbaut
    Last Activity
    01-06-2018 10:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 463 Times in 230 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 248 Times

I too have heard of people dying from or during surgery. But they were usually severally obese people that had several co-morbidities going on and finally had WLS as a last resort because they had no other choice.
    After my surgery I spoke to a family in-law who had a brother that had 2 gastric bypass's and died. Apparently he over ate and ruined the first bypass. Then he had a revision bypass. Then his two elderly parents died. His diet went to hell. He continued to eat mass quantities till he made himself sick. Infection finally set in and he died. But let me tell you folks. A story like his is the exception rather than the rule. According to his family when he started going down hill they called his surgeon and the doctor told them to get him in but he didn't follow orders and went down hill and finally died. When his parents died he no longer had the will to live and he had no wife & kids so he had nothing to live for. When his mother was alive she was cooking for him and he was doing well. So it all goes back to state of mind. Lorna

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2010
    Last Activity
    04-12-2011 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

That is just to bad, that is terrible, sorry to hear about that.

15. Said thanks: