Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I want to hear the BAD stuff no one is talking about

So I have read a bunch of post all speaking of amazing out comes from surgery. I am trying to make an informed choice. I would like to hear some negative feed back. The bad stuff no one tells you.. Besides death or leakage.. You know what I mean

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Misti
    Surgery date
    08/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samshadeen
    Last Activity
    02-18-2015 01:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to hear the BAD stuff no one is talking about

I had a pretty easy surgery and recovery. No serious issues. My main problem has been constipation and had to start taking a daily stool softener.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Omayra
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Judd
    Last Activity
    11-11-2014 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times
    Blog Entries

I was throwing up for days. Dizzy, nauseous, pain and just general horrible feelings, but I would do it again.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member peachy_just's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr L DiMarco
    Last Activity
    02-18-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Post op 12 hours I had a lot of Nausea and Vomiting. My abdomen was very tense and it took a whole lot of meds including IV Valium to relax my abdomen. My potassium and magnesium levels were off and I needed some IV bolus of both. Finally on post op day 2 I was able to tolerate clear liquids in very small quantities. I'm now on full liquids post op day 5 and only struggling to get adequate protein intake. I've lost 12 lbs but it hasn't been easy from a recovery stand point. Best wishes on making that difficult decision!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

Bad stuff - my breath and body absolutely stunk for a couple weeks after surgery. Not sure if it was from the gas they pumped in, the anasthesia or what, but it was nasty. I also, on occassion, actually miss "eating", although I recognize it as mental desire, not physical. The negativity of others, both on this board, and in real life can be a drag. You must be mentally strong within yourself to be able to deflect it. You will look older. Fat smooths wrinkles. When you loose weight, the wrinkles and sagging skin can age you. Enough?

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

-I have to take a daily stool softener
    -I have to take lots of supplements
    -I have to drink a lot of water, sometimes annoying
    -I have little to NO appetite. You may be wondering why this is a bad thing. It's both good/bad. I don't crave or mindless snack but I have to FORCE myself to eat sometimes, which is irritating because many times, I'd rather just not eat at all!
    -Can't eat bread/pasta. A bite makes me feel like I'm going to die.
    -Going out to eat is not that fun. I can't eat much and then I get bored and want to leave ASAP.
    -Feeling a little isolated because I turn down outings that involve going out to eat/drink
    -Had to dump a couple friends because they were not supportive, so screw 'em, don't need 'em
    -Can't drink alcohol for a long time.
    -My stomach is noisy and grumbly when I eat, which I dislike

Food is not enjoyable, food is not as pleasurable. Mealtime is not something I dread but I don't look forward to it either. Your love affair with food will end. Maybe you will be "just friends" with food but me and food, food is like an awkward ex-boyfriend that I need for some reason.

I forgot to add, I hope you like leftovers because that's 60% of what I eat everyday. Just leftovers.

Looking older can be a negative. I look younger now that I've lost weight but I am 24 and much of my skin hasn't sagged...yet.

I love my sleeve!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

-I have to take a daily stool softener
    -I have to take lots of supplements
    -I have to drink a lot of water, sometimes annoying
    -I have little to NO appetite. You may be wondering why this is a bad thing. It's both good/bad. I don't crave or mindless snack but I have to FORCE myself to eat sometimes, which is irritating because many times, I'd rather just not eat at all!
    -Can't eat bread/pasta. A bite makes me feel like I'm going to die.
    -Going out to eat is not that fun. I can't eat much and then I get bored and want to leave ASAP.
    -Feeling a little isolated because I turn down outings that involve going out to eat/drink
    -Had to dump a couple friends because they were not supportive, so screw 'em, don't need 'em
    -Can't drink alcohol for a long time.
    -My stomach is noisy and grumbly when I eat, which I dislike

Food is not enjoyable, food is not as pleasurable. Mealtime is not something I dread but I don't look forward to it either. Your love affair with food will end. Maybe you will be "just friends" with food but me and food, food is like an awkward ex-boyfriend that I need for some reason.

I love my sleeve!

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    02/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Jayaseelan
    Last Activity
    07-24-2014 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 54 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't had my surgery yet but I've read about people losing their hair.

My fiancé had the surgery and the only thing he struggles with now is remembering to eat regularly. Old habit is to be busy and working all day, come in starving and stuff himself until he fell asleep. Now he can't stuff himself and he gets weak if he doesn't at least eat a protein bar every three hours or so.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member monkey67girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chris Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I will share my experience with you...I actually get depressed reading all the people on here always being so upbeat and rainbows about the surgery...While I do think that eventually I will be glad that I have made this decision, at this point, not so much...

I was sleeved Dec 17th..so I am 6 weeks out...the surgery was good..no issues at all...the pain level was mild. After the first 4 days of liquids I was able to add back in my protein shakes and start pureed foods.

Getting the right amount of liquids in is HARD....I cant drink more than just small sips at a time, and if I drink too fast it comes back up or hurts for like 10-15 minutes...sooo...

In addition, I was having uncontrollable diarrhea, which is not normal, usually people are constipated....After 2 1/2 weeks of it, I was almost completely dehydrated, (my saving grace was I kept pushing powerade zero) My Doc and his Nurse decided that I was having an allergic reaction to the whey protien...So they suggested that I try egg white protein. Since I switched it has helped tremendously, but I still feel tired and week all the time. Even on a good day when I think I am having a good day, if I over do things 9like just go to the mall or the store) I am just exhausted.

I have lost 43lbs, and for that I am thankful, however I am not certain that if I knew then what I know now that I would do this again. It is not something to be taken lightly at all....Once its done its done...Its not like a diet where you can cheat or just stop...it is a whole new life....Which is why I chose to do it in the first place..I read/studied everything I could get my hands on, But living it is totally different from knowing it...

Oh..and last week I was a crying wreck...like totally irrational....It was like every emotion I ever had was back and magnified 100 times..I ended up missing a days work....Called my doc....My nurse said that I had hit what they call the "oh shit moment"...The moment when the new and shiny is gone and reality has set in...you miss your old friend (food) and you are questioning everything...She also said that estrogen is stored in fat cells and as your body lets go of the fat, it is releasing the estrogen....SOOO your hormones are very messed out....Thus the crying mess....Great,,,cant eat....irrational...mess.... just not what I had planned..

I am not trying to be a Debbie downer, I know that typically this site is all sunshine and rainbows...but you asked for honestly...and honestly this is way different that I was mentally prepared..

I hoe this helps you. I am sure (at least I hope) that in time I will be grateful but for now I am just going thru the motions...

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

For me there was and is no downside. No vomiting, no bad breath, all my hair is where it should be, can drink water. Only things I must do now post surgery - and no way is it a negative is take a multi vite with iron, take calcium and Vit D, watch I'm getting sufficient protein and watch that I'm pooping regularly. Frankly all things that you'd likely have to do even without the sleeve.
    Most challenging time for me was about 4 weeks to 8 weeks out - it was a struggle to get both fluid and protein in, but once that time passed all good.
    Different for everyone, but I went in with a positive outlook and came out the same.
    PS. There may not be any bad stuff for you either.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

20. Said thanks:

Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Go to You Tube too, you will see people who did not do the program and gained, regained or only lost minimal weight. One lady I saw could not stop losing weight and she had to eat all the time to keep weight on. I think that was only a hand full of people and I am sure there are more, but for the most part what you are hearing here and on Youtube is about right if you have a good Dr. and surgical team and you are going to a good facility and you follow the program and don't give up. I don't think anyone is hiding anything. Some of the blogs crack me up and some make me wonder about this thing and let me know, don't go down that road. Do what you can do to control your outcome and let God and your body do the rest. I am determined to be a success story. I Hate Nausea,Pain, needles, etc, but it will be temporary I pray. I expect the norm for this body and I am not sure what that is. That is why this thing is such an indiviual journey. We will all be successful we will settle for nothing less!

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-13-2014 09:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

The only thing I think was bad is the fact that I can't eat certain foods without getting nausea. I miss some of the foods, but I would rather take life just the way I am with my new sleeve. You will not regret it!

24. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

26. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone has a different experience. There are no two experiences a like. If you keep reading this forum, there are plenty of negatives that go along with the positives. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-07-2014 11:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I haven't had surgery,so I have no negatives yet. However, from what I've been reading on the blogs and seeing on youtube, more people are having their gallbladders removed due to gallstones after the surgery. There seems to be an intense and sharp stomach pain that may happen at random times. If you experience this, go to the ER immediately. I didn't know this before, but thanks to my extensive research, I know now. (Not everyone has this problem. Every individual has different experiences with their sleeve)

30. Said thanks: