Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-26-2018 04:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Default I don't clean my plate!

As I am approaching my 9 mo. surgiversary I find I am able to eat a bit more than I could in the early months. Portion control has always been my biggest problem. When fixing my plate for a meal I put a small amount on a small plate but most times I still put too much on. I know that feeling when 1 more bite will be too much. I grew up with " don't waste food- clean your plate". It's still hard sometimes to leave food on my plate. At times I know I could eat those last few bites but I always leave a little just to remind me I DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN MY PLATE! When I toss that last little bit I remind myself it's a lot better off in the trash than in my FULL body. I worry when I hear about people who have had this surgery only to regain. When I reach goal the scale will be my best friend. I know weight fluctuates but I feel if I keep to a 5 pound range I will never again need to lose over 100 lbs! After all for someone who has lost that much ( less than 20 lbs away from losing 100) 5 lbs. should be a breeze! Loving my new body, new clothes, and incredible energy!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jennie from the block's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jennie
    Surgery date
    06/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Potter
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Default Re: I don't clean my plate!

I am afraid that I can eat more now, and I am afraid that the amount will keep increasing. I was brought up the same way, you must eat it all, do not waste, there are starving kids, yada yada yada. I still use a dessert plate as a reminder I do not need to eat a lot, I cannot eat a lot. Keep up the good work, those 20 lbs will be something to celebrate!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Jennie, hopefully you have topped out by now. My wife's surgery was 4/14/13 and she topped out at about six or seven months. I know my capacity has gone up significantly but I am hoping its topped out now as well but I am afraid it may still increase. I adjusted what I eat as capacity has gone up and I have significantly increased exercise accordingly as well.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Debbie, its definitely different not cleaning a plate. In the past, I could put two or three pounds of food on a plate and I wouldnt stop till the plate was empty. Now, I have become much better at knowing when its time to stop, though primarily out of necessity, because it will become uncomfortable otherwise. I think its good at the point where you are, myself as well, to now weigh daily and make adjustments to exercise or nutrition to keep weight in desired range. I log all my food and exercise and try to monitor how it affects my weight. This isnt as easy as I thought it would be before I started. It definitely requires diligence and discipline. But those who havent had the surgery will probably never understand that.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

I have dogs that help me very much with cleanning my plate and they really like that I got the sleeve too LOL! I can't eat that much still. (less then half a sandwich) but you know I think I have learned most with this sleeve is that food is not my life. I don't need to eat that much and that often so by learning that I really don't think I will regain. I couldn't beleive how much I ate thinking that was normal and if I didn't eat or skipped a meal I thought OMG I'm going to die of starvation or something... American Portions are WAAAAAAY to big and I never knew that till now. Congrats to your weight loss I can't wait till i hit the 100 pound lost (and never return) mark!!! We are almost There!!!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents