Dr.S. Hughes
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 01:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,573 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy I fell off the wagon!!!!

Yes I am a food addict my name is Kate. I fell off the wagon. Eating the wrong things. I have only dropped 8 pounds in two months how sad. I have a reason not an excuse. My dad has had two heart attacks in a little more than two months, my stepmother has lost the ability to stand and walk more than a few steps. I live three hours away from them, so the travel time in my car lately ( two to three times a week) has been so trying. I have been eating the wrong things. I had burgers fried chicken, French fries etc , not getting in enough water. I went for a checkup today and the truth was on the scale. So I must get a grip on things get back on track. First thing in the morning ,one egg, two slices of turkey bacon, 30 minutes later water and vitamins. I must get a handle on things. Please help. By the way my dad isn't doing well my stepmother doesn't know me sometimes. I'm just spread so thin that I have resorted back to letting food comfort me. I must stop this craziness. I know I'm not the only one on here that is or have going through family illnesses. Some encouragement would sure help. I need all my sleeve family to help me jump start the plain again. Yes my name is Kate and I am a food addict.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Nilish Patel
    Last Activity
    08-08-2014 11:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I fell off the wagon!!!!

You are human. It's okay to not be perfect all the time. All you can do is take it one day at a time. Today is almost over. You'll start fresh tomorrow. You have a good tool. You will get back to better habits in no time. Take a deep breath.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

These are the times that test us. Eat healthy and you will be able to handle it better and won't be beating yourself up. Try to preplan your meals and snacks if you can, don't do it on the run. My prayers are out for you. hugs

Surgery date
    04/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gersin
    Last Activity
    01-23-2017 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,157 Times
    Blog Entries

I to have gone through alot of changes with major events happening in my life at the same time I was sleeved. I've had to become an instant caregiver which has been and continues to be very stressful. It's important that we are there for our family but it's more important that we take care of our health so we can be there for them. Try to keep things handy that you enjoy eating that will keep you on your journey as this will make it alot easier for you to stay on track. This will inturn help you be there for the ones you love and especially yourself. I have protein shakes on hand that I include in my smoothies to help get in my daily protein. I take my vitamins twice a daily as well. All the best to you.

I would like to add that I got in touch with the Senior Citizen Center here in my town and was given a grant for a certain amount of hours for the year that I can have a home attendant come in and sit with my loved ones so as I may have a couple of hours to myself. I greatly appreciatede this gift.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

You've lost over a hundred pounds in less than a year - to me that sounds awesome. I am sorry your Dad & Stepmom are going through this. I hope they rally and bounce back some - you never know. I lost my Mom suddenly and then my Dad over the next 5 years - he was the sick one & my poor Mom was caring for him until she lost her life out of the blue. Taking on the role of being responsible for their health was hard - emotionally, physically, every which way. I still don't know how I got through that time with my Dad - I never knew from day to day or minute to minute when I would get the call that he was headed back to the hospital. It affected my home life, my work life, my health and I had to put all my other relationships on the back burner. I feel for you. Try to take care of yourself, make some time for you because you can't be there for them unless you take care of yourself.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pomp
    Last Activity
    05-03-2014 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Wow!! This site is amazing! I have been so frustrated! I not only have fallen off the wagon, but I have actually gained weight! I keep telling myself everyday to get back on the wagon, but it is not much different as it was before the surgery. I was hoping that this would all change with the sleeve but it has not. I am still addicted to food. All food good and bad. I am struggling and hope that I can somehow pull it together. I understand and good luck to us all!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member maynardkhalo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boghossian
    Last Activity
    12-23-2017 05:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Hang in there, it is imperative that you take care of yourself. My prayers go out to you and your family, you are not alone.

Gastric Sleeve Member Narasweet's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    07/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Dumbrell
    Last Activity
    07-10-2017 03:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times
    Blog Entries

Just keep starting each day and do your best, try massage or some form of relaxation therapy to nurture yourself rather than food. I have times when old habits hit too, just do some strong self talk and try harder, sends hugs to you!! Xx
    Christine. :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Shaquayla's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Last Activity
    01-26-2014 07:12 PM
    SUNNY WA AUSTRALIA...NEAR THE BEACH N LOVING IT.
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi love I had gastric sleeve and since, my mum had major shoulder reconstuction,then she took a stroke and I moved in to care for her, tho Im a carer for two adult children with mental health issues, from past traumas.I lost 31kg fast, but lost momentum..I was 131kg got down to 100kg..my schedule of weigjt loss was,this I was supposed to be 90kg a few months ago..but I to fell of the band wagon for 5 months, Ive gone back to 105kg,down to 100kg and back to 105kg..Im supposed to be at least 90kg now...So I finally realized the food wasnt just the issue..I said "No" to people..I with drew for a week..stayed at home n just rested and closed the world of.Relivant services were put in place to shop n care for loved ones.Resting the body gave the mind chance to reaces,I booked back into water physio and went.I had a massage and acrylic nails done.I never do this.It was the boost I needed.Im back caring and broke into double figures.Im 98kg n loosing again.A tired mind reaches for eazy food...So rest was the answer for me.I hope it helps..

Gastric Sleeve Member Forestgalice's Avatar
    Name
    Lynette
    Surgery date
    10/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmad
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 11:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I so relate to still being a food addict, reaching for food for "comfort", eating the wrong stuff because it tastes good (chocolates over holidays!!),ice cream which I avoided before surgery because I'm lactose, but it goes down easily.........grrrr...........eating crackers and peanut butter and jelly, the crackers go down easily........I am human and I make mistakes, but I'm trying to do better. weighed in yesterday with my surgeons (they are two and always see their patients together....double trouble) I have not lost as much as they think I should, of course I know why........now to face up to my mistakes and move forward again............learning my lessons.......good luck to us all

Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 04:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times

My prayers go out to you and your family. I agree with the others. I keep a survival bag of healthy goodies with me at all times. I try to keep some string cheese, jerky and high protein bars with me whenever I go anywhere. If I don't I will make a poor choice and eat something I shouldn't. It is so hard to be prepared all of the time, but if you keep a stash in your car and in your purse with a 24 pack of water bottles in the car too you should be safer than if you don't have anything. I bought an insulated bag to keep my stuff in so it doesn't freeze or get too hot. I hope your life slows down soon, but in the meantime it will help you if you are prepared. At least you will feel more in control of things if you are in control of what you eat. I'm sure it makes you feel worse after you eat those bad foods too. Good luck!

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

kate, are there others in the family who can help pitch in? Like your Step-Moms kids or relatives, or siblings of yours? I hope so. Speak up if there are, it isn't fair if it all falls on one person if there are others who could do something. I was there. My brother was in town - I would ask him if he could go with Dad to the hospital sometimes. He would say "no, I'm supposed to be at work today." Uggh. Like my job, doing conscious sedation on a small hospital unit where we didn't even have float pool to replace us - was less important. He sells freaking cruises for travelocity. I hope you have others who can pitch in - it can be a long road so if there are others who can participate make it clear that it is only fair. Some will be happy to stand back & let you shoulder it all if they can get away with it.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Katente,

Hard words here, from the heart and from LOTS of experience.

As someone who has been there, you can't keep up what you've been doing. You have to figure something else out. This won't work long-term. And if you're like many people, you will grind yourself into the ground and destroy your own health trying to doing something you will eventually fail at -- trying to do everything yourself.

You're going to have to find local help for your parents. YOU can't do this. Finding others to help them does NOT mean you don't love them. But it does mean that you love yourself. Your choices probably include some options you don't want to consider, but that eventually will turn out to be the very best option for them, as well as for you.

You've got some very important decisions to make here. Don't throw your own life away.

Good luck to you.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84