10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen, Gainesville Ga
    Last Activity
    08-15-2014 09:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default I have cheated.... BAD and I am so digusted and depressed with myself!

I had surgery on Oct 8th at 245. Today I weigh 206.6. I am so down on myself. I fell off the wagon in Dec and am having a hard time getting back on! Tuesday I started my food log again and I have been going to jazzercise 3-4 times a week. I weighed at 205.5 on Wed morning and then this morning weighed 206.6. This week I have not cheated until tonight, when I got so down about gaining 1 pound in 24 hours when I have been busting my butt at the gym. Some people have lost cravings, etc, but unfortunately my taste or desire for sugar is still present. In between meals I am still SOOOOO hungry!

Any suggestions about rebooting my metabolism and losing weight again. My goal WAS to be in onederland by Valentine's Day. I need all the advice I can get. My husband is such a wonderful support person.

Keeping the journey real,
    Michelle

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lesley
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Cabrerra
    Last Activity
    01-26-2014 09:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: I have cheated.... BAD and I am so digusted and depressed with myself!

Stay off the scale! Everyones weight can fluctuate 3+ lbs in the same day. Keep up the good stuff, track your food, go to gym, find healthy between meal snacks to fight off hunger. Love yourself, get in front of that mirror and praise yourself for all the good stuff you have already accomplished. Tomorrow is a new day, one day one meal one minute at a time. When you prepare your food, pour all the love you have into the meal, make it healthy and yummy. When you sit down to eat. Sit down turn off all distractions and focus on the food. How it tastes, smells, feels and makes you feel. Enjoy it. Good luck. You are doing awesome!!!

Name
    Joanne
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zeni
    Last Activity
    12-01-2015 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I have cheated.... BAD and I am so digusted and depressed with myself!

Try to only weigh yourself once a week. In addition, many people have had great success doing the 5 day pouch test when they "fall off the wagon". It is a process to reboot the sleeve eating schedule.
    Joanne

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

Okay, it happened. Now pick yourself back up. You can do this! Weight will fluctuate, it is good to have a goal, however it is better to avoid placing time constraints on yourself. You didn't gain the excess weight all at once. I think it is great you are working out. Remember muscle weighs more that fat, so even though the scale may have showed you being up after working out, try not to fixate on the scales. Inches and weight do not cone off at that the same time or rate. As Lesley mentioned, tomorrow is a new day. Make it a great one! You really can do this!

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a newbie and have not been sleeved yet.. What is a 5 day pouch test????

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Jerzygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. O
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,500 Times

It's normal for the scale to fluctuate. Remember 16 ounces of water equal 1 lb. But there is no need to get down on yourself. If sweets are your problem, then you need to low carb it ... Kick the habit by going cold turkey to cleanse your system. After 3 or 4 days, it's out and you can get back on track.

I have a horrific sweet tooth too, and going and staying low carb has been the best avenue of attack. Good luck.

Surgery date
    10/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Naim
    Last Activity
    02-10-2018 02:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

So what if you gained a pound, look at the big picture, you are down. You need to stay off the scale and get re -focused on what you want to do.
    Go back to the basic diet that brought you here for a few weeks and you will be fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Surgery date
    09/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Estifanos Debru
    Last Activity
    06-07-2015 08:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

I find if I deprive myself I cheat more…I tell myself I can have 3 hershey kisses a day…and sometimes I eat 5…but most the time I eat none or 1…for me it's about the ability to choose, and everyone is different. I don't like sweets nearly as much as I used to, and Christmas was hard for me too…but I still like them. I weigh myself every single day because that's what my surgeon wants but I always do it the same time of day and I recognize there will be fluctuations….sometimes I gain…sometimes I lose…but overall I'm losing and that's what matters!! Get back on, record EVERY SINGLE THING you eat, record your water intake and make sure you get enough protein!! If I don't get at least 65 grams of protein in a day I'm starving…but if I do I'm fine!! Sometimes when I think I'm hungry I'm really thirsting. Don't be too hard on yourself, this is a journey…you've got this!

Surgery date
    06/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    02-26-2017 05:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,130 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel the same way some days but I swell up then go down I don't get over 7lbs
    I thought about getting diet pills. But after I weigh up options, I have too many clothes sixe m,l,xl or size 12 and under that I refuse to let the DEvil take me back.. Besides I am not giving these items up!

Just a refusal, if you have to fast, and I mean like Chicken broth, or ensure or something.. Do it.

I know I cant get like that again.... I look at old pictures and a security tape of me wait better one,
    My man is a heart patient and I am his care giver and I had to stop half way down the stairs to go call the ambulance for him,
    THATS WHEN IT HIT ME , he could have died because I could not get to him fast enough...

TO ALL NEVER GIVE UP.....ITS HARD TRUST ME.... BUT I GIVE MY SELF TO GOD AND THE BOTTLE OF MILK OF MAGNEISUM OR CITRO AND THERE YOU GO..
    Imagine I throw up at least twice a day because my stomach and or throat rejects what ever I swallow, including water and I haven't even over eaten..or drink. I feel like I am going to die.... I try to be encouraging but most time its hard because I struggle and I am so feeling like I can be smaller and yes I am still Fatt on the inside....But I just get lost and self pity isn't on my plate shit if it was I probably be eating that too...

Love to all and Great not just good Night!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen, Gainesville Ga
    Last Activity
    08-15-2014 09:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

The forum is great! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. What is the 5 day pouch test?

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Michelle....

What wagon did you fall off of? Was it a little red wagon or one of those big old wooden ones you see in all of the westerns? Were the horses walking or galloping? Were you formally a non drinker and started drinking again?

Seriously, I posted that to get your attention. What I am about to tell you is what worked for me. It's also worked for many, many other successful sleevers on here. As with all advice, take what you can use and throw away the rest.

So, first off, who put you on a diet? Please don't tell me its a NUT. If it is a NUT, what are his/hers credentials and experience with sleeves? The only correct answer would be that they have been sleeved and have first hand knowledge of what it takes to lose weight with a sleeve. They can certainly opine about how to lose weight with a traditional diet, but not how to lose weight with a sleeve.

So, let's deal with your issues one at a time. You have terrible cravings. Your cravings are your body's way of letting you know it needs something. In this case, since you are craving sugar, it's carbs your body wants. So, give it some. Carbs are not your enemy. In fact, in this new lifestyle, they are your friend. Need proof? Look at your scale.

Your body's metabolism has shut down because it feels like it is being starved. Not starved in the sense of no food. But, starved in the sense that it's missing certain items it traditionally needed in order to keep functioning "normally". You mentioned exercising your butt off. That's the culprit. Your body senses it is having to dip into reserves (fat) to keep going while you exercise. If you deprive it of the fuel it needs to run (carbs) then the metabolism will shut down and then go into a mode where you actually gain weight back. Think of it like a doomsday shelter. Your body is laying in for a long, protracted siege. Not only is it refusing to dip into the reserves, it is actually adding to the reserves with every little bit of nutrition it can.

Result?

Stalls....which you are having.

Weight gain....which you are having.

So, feed your body what it needs.

And pound this into your head.

You are not on a diet

You have not cheated

Carbs and sugar are not the enemy

Overeating is the enemy.

Vary your diet and stop exercising for awhile. Stop listening to those who have not been sleeved and start looking for advice on this forum. There is loads and loads of info on here. My way is definitely not the only way. Your job is to experiment and find the way, or combination of ways, to lose weight and keep it off all while using this amazing tool.

But, one universal truth is carved in stone.

You cannot, must not, overeat.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Realize that you would have had to eat 3500 calories to actually gain one pound....now really, you didn't do that. You said you are exercising much more now and I'm pretty sure that's probably the answer here. The muscles, in order to repair themselves when we exercise, store WATER. So it is my thinking that the one pound, which again is NOT REAL WEIGHT GAINED....is water stored in the muscles.
    Yes, STAY OFF THE SCALE and weigh once a week, same time, same place, etc. Concentrate on the non scale victories.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr, Vorha
    Last Activity
    05-01-2014 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Stay positive and don;t give up. There are so many good suggestions here i just wanted to send you some hugs, focus on all the good and positive items in your life and be gentle to yourself

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Read tinman's post. Then read it again, and again, and again. He knows what he is talking about and has said this same thing to so many people who feel like you. Tyen read it again.
    Hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race. Be patient with yourself.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Personally you don't need a 5 day physical pouch test nearly as much as you need a 5 day emotion check.

Weight loss takes dedication on a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual level. Let's look at the topic of your thread:

I have cheated.... BAD and I am so digusted and depressed with myself!

Thirteen words and 4 of them are your negative voice speaking. That's 30.7% negative. If you're feeling like this about life in general, please see a therapist or doctor SOON. If it's just about your weight loss, you need to adjust your attitude. Okay, so you didn't lose weight. So you gained a pound or two. Own it. "Yes, I did that." Forgive yourself, "But that doesn't make me a bad person". Let it go. "Now I'm going to start again."

Now I know that's a whole lot harder than the six sentences it took me to write. I have biploar disorder and I can relate to that since my negative voice tries to do that to me on occasion. On this sleeve journey I've learned to be gentler with myself than ever before.

You might be one of those people who shouldn't weigh on a daily basis. Your scale might have not been exactly flat. The chances that you gained a pound overnight are slim, unless you managed to pack on a pound of muscle in that time. Try different things. There is no right or wrong way to do this. There are always options. My mantra these days is "I'm NEVER out of options."

Please don't deprive yourself, not completely. In my journey most of my diets have failed because my brain felt I wasn't being fair because I couldn't eat anything 'good.' If you've got a sweet craving, try skinny cow chocolate rather than another chocolate because it's got about 1/3 the calories and a lot less fat. Dark chocolate can be better because people usually can't eat as much at a sitting. Chips your thing? Go baked or popchips and buy the single servings.

Also, try and find ways to celebrate without food. That's been really hard for me since feeling good was always associated with eating. Actually, feeling bad was also associated with eating but that's a whole other tangent. If your budget allows, take yourself out for a movie or throw some gas in the car and go for a drive. Rewards don't have to be huge, in fact the best ones are often the little ones.

Don't give up. We haven't given up on you. If you need me, message me. As I said before, I'm never out of options.