Dr. Matt Mancini
    Last Activity
    07-15-2015 09:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Default fit bit or jawbone?

I have considered purchasing a Fitbit or a jawbone to help with fitness goals, any of you pre sleevers or those who have been sleeved have any experience with either? Any pros and cons? Which do you recommend and why?

Jan 2014: Starting weight 282
    April 1, 2014: First major milestone pre-surgery, weigh 252~ total of 30 lbs lost!!!
    June 3, 2014: Final appt to submit to insurance company for surgery date (the official two week wait!)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: fit bit or jawbone?

I just went through this and bought a Fitbit Force. First, I went with the Force instead of the Flex or the Jawbone because of the information it provides while directly on your wrist. It tells you time, how many steps, miles, calories, flights of stairs, and how many minutes of being very active.

Though I do look at my computer dashboard and also the one on my phone, sometimes it's just easier to look down at your wrist and get an update.

I also went Fitbit for a very simple reason; I don't have an iPhone, I have an Android, so as of right now Jawbone doesn't make an Android app. I did hear they are coming out with one soon.

I have read tons of bad things about the Fitbit and how it's so hard to put on your wrist. I frankly don't have that issue, but I could see why some people do.

I don't have much information about the Jawbone, but I really do like my Fitbit. I wasn't going to go to the mall one night with the family until I realized that my steps weren't very high, so I went and did a lot of walking. That is why I wanted one, I needed the constant reminder on my wrist and I really think it helps. I notice that I take the stairs more because it automatically gives you a 10 flight goal each day.

There were a couple of things that I liked about the Jawbone; I think the sleep feature is better (though Fitbit does have one and I like it) and I also think it looks nicer.

Name
    Mica
    Surgery date
    08/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Rincon
    Last Activity
    01-22-2014 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the small belt fit bit, it worked well for me, but syncing to the computer was a pain. I bought the smaller of the wrist units they now sell and I found it to be to large and clunky, i returned it. i did see several reports where the fitbit bands was causing some folks rashes. Maybe a latex reaction or something. I think any model you get you have to get used to the quirks and make it work for you. I loved seeing how far I went each day that was pretty awesome

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Garmin is about to ship their new ViVo. I like it best because the battery lasts for a year and it's meant to be worn 24\7. It is compatible with their chest strap for heart rate monitoring during a workout.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Name
    Erin
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Last Activity
    10-08-2018 11:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times
    Blog Entries

I have the Fitbit Force and love it. There are issues with getting the band to snap on and it can catch on things - so buyer beware on those issues. Otherwise, I love being able to track my step, calories and sleep. I sync it with MyFitnessPal, that information downloads onto my FitBit page and because I have the premium package, I get a weekly summary of calories,steps, sleep stats. It also breaks down the calories in to piecharts showing protein/carb/fat breakdown by day, graphs showing activity spikes by hour...all sorts of things my geeky self loves to look at.

10/21/13 - My Journey Starts - 341
    3/17/14 - My Birth/Re-birth Day -313
    3/23/14 - discharge day - 331
    3/27/14 - 1st post op visit - 319
    4/7/14 - 3 weeks out - 298
    5/2/14 - 6 weeks out - 287
    6/17/14 - 3 Months -

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member short sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Karie
    Surgery date
    07/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Kim
    Last Activity
    10-24-2014 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

I originally got the fitbit force, but because I tend to talk with my hands this was giving me the appearance of taking so many steps in the course of a day that I should be rail thin. So I returned it for the fitbit one. This really works for me. I found it to be really user friendly and gave me the information that I needed to stay on track.

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

The recall for the FitBit Force was announced today, due to the number of people reporting rashes and irritation. Fitbit Is Recalling All Force Wristbands

I have a BodyMedia Link band, and absolutely love it! Very accurate, but drawback is that it cannot get wet like the Force could. I have had NO issues with it. This referral link will get you 15% off: http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/2371nx BodyMedia has recently been acquired by Jawbone, and the BodyMedia bands the ones used on The Biggest Looser program.

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

The recall for the FitBit Force was announced today, due to the number of people reporting rashes and irritation. Fitbit Is Recalling All Force Wristbands

I have a BodyMedia Link band, and absolutely love it! Very accurate, but drawback is that it cannot get wet like the Force could. I have had NO issues with it. This referral link will get you 15% off: http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/2371nx BodyMedia has recently been acquired by Jawbone, and the BodyMedia bands the ones used on The Biggest Looser program.