John Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    05-04-2020 11:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Curious about RESULTS for 5 Day Pouch Test

I am almost 9 months post op, and have done the 5 day pouch test three times. It always helps me break my stalls and helps me get over and carb cravings I may be dealing with. Definitely works! Good Luck

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Craig
    Surgery date
    12/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anthony McCluney
    Last Activity
    07-28-2014 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

What is the test? I have not heard of it before.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bombshell2Be's Avatar
    Name
    Erren
    Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    John Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craigm68 View Post
    What is the test? I have not heard of it before.
    I just typed it in the search bar above, and found info on it, if you can't find it, let me know, and I can explain it

Surgery date
    01/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pomp
    Last Activity
    05-03-2014 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

GOOD LUCK!!! Anxiously awaiting your results so that I can begin my own 5 day journey!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    09-29-2015 09:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell2Be View Post
    I am almost 9 months post op, and have done the 5 day pouch test three times. It always helps me break my stalls and helps me get over and carb cravings I may be dealing with. Definitely works! Good Luck
    Bombshell2be, when did you do your first? My thought has also been to do it to get out of a stall.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bombshell2Be's Avatar
    Name
    Erren
    Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    John Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

I think I was about 4 months post-op, I initially did it because I starting snacking on carbs, and wanted to get rid of my craving, and re-focus... It really helped

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

Yeah...uh...in my opinion, the pouch test is just another rule based gimmick.

At the end of the day, what does the pouch test do for you that you can't do for yourself?

The secret to losing weight with this procedure is portion control. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you don't over eat, you will not gain weight...period. I know this because I eat anything I want, whenever I want and prepared the way I like it. I have maintained my goal weight for the last six months and have never gained or lost more than three pounds along the way.

However, I have learned what my signal is for being full and I absolutely, positively refuse to over eat. The sleeve is designed to help you lose weight by controlling how much you can put into it at one time. It has nothing to do with good or bad carbs, good or bad choices, or anything else designed to restrict your caloric intake.

It has everything to do with you putting your fork down when you know you have had enough and walking away.

If you over eat, your sleeve will stretch. If you don't over eat, it won't. Problem solved. TADA!!

Gastric Sleeve Member webblarsk's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Pouch test has worked for me. Getting me back to basics and into the mindset I had immediately post surgery. I'm 11.5 months out and was stalled for 2 months. I kept losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I'm happy to report on the morning of Day 5 I am 5 pounds lighter. I'm just 6 pounds away from my goal weight. So excited.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/28/2012
    Surgeon
    dr josh roller
    Last Activity
    03-30-2015 03:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm starting the 5 day pouch test Monday and I'm hoping for great results! My surgery was almost 2 years ago and I have noticed a 20 pd gain over the last few months and frankly I'm scared to death! The thought of spending thousands of dollars not to mention all the anguish I went through and then to gain it all back! I get angry at myself and cry all at the same time. The sugar is what is killing me I think. I began to notice that protein such as meat, (chicken, turkey, beef) would literally hurt my stomach when I ate even a small amount, but sugary foods didn't hurt so therefore, I would tend to grab them. I had never heard of the 5 day pouch test until I came across this thread and I really believe it was meant for me. I need to do this, to regroup and re boot myself, sort of speak.

Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck For me it was all about getting my mind back to where it needed to be. Some don't agree and have their own opinions. I know that for me it worked to cut out the carbs and get me back to protein first like I should have been doing all along. The first few days were rough, I'm not gonna lie. But push through. By the 4th day I felt much better. Today I feel fantastic Let me know if I can offer any support. You got this!!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/28/2012
    Surgeon
    dr josh roller
    Last Activity
    03-30-2015 03:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your support. I realize the first couple days are probably the hardest on the pouch test. I don't know why I worry about 2 days of only liquids since I went 30 days of liquids right after surgery! You would think 2 days would be a snap! I guess losing 80 lbs in the first 8 months and then maybe 10 more later on and then nothing in the last year, has gotten me very depressed and gaining 20 of that back , I'm just disappointed in myself I guess. I did so good there at first and then all this snacking and grazing started and then the weight started coming back on. But I'm going to give this 5 day pouch test all I have and will post the results! thanks again.

Gastric Sleeve Member BigDogMom's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Yeah...uh...in my opinion, the pouch test is just another rule based gimmick.

At the end of the day, what does the pouch test do for you that you can't do for yourself?

The secret to losing weight with this procedure is portion control. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you don't over eat, you will not gain weight...period. I know this because I eat anything I want, whenever I want and prepared the way I like it. I have maintained my goal weight for the last six months and have never gained or lost more than three pounds along the way.

However, I have learned what my signal is for being full and I absolutely, positively refuse to over eat. The sleeve is designed to help you lose weight by controlling how much you can put into it at one time. It has nothing to do with good or bad carbs, good or bad choices, or anything else designed to restrict your caloric intake.

It has everything to do with you putting your fork down when you know you have had enough and walking away.

If you over eat, your sleeve will stretch. If you don't over eat, it won't. Problem solved. TADA!!
    There's really not a need to be ugly about it, or talk down to someone. That's great that you've had so much success with your weight loss, so have I. But try to keep in mind that everybody struggles with different things, in different ways. We have ALL had difficult issues with food in our past. And there seems to be some lingering demons that lots of people have to fight with, myself included. I applaud anyone for taking the huge step of having a sleeve, in order to get a grip on their health! Let's try to be supportive. Not pompous. Just a suggestion.
    "We walk by faith, not by sight."

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigDogMom View Post
    There's really not a need to be ugly about it, or talk down to someone. That's great that you've had so much success with your weight loss, so have I. But try to keep in mind that everybody struggles with different things, in different ways. We have ALL had difficult issues with food in our past. And there seems to be some lingering demons that lots of people have to fight with, myself included. I applaud anyone for taking the huge step of having a sleeve, in order to get a grip on their health! Let's try to be supportive. Not pompous. Just a suggestion.
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if I was just overreacting to that post or not. I was pretty offended but thought maybe it was just me.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

First off, I apologize if I offended. However, you need to understand that this is a public forum and as such, differing public opinion is welcomed. The way I presented my viewpoint is how I am. Disagree with me if you like, but don't try to limit or direct what I say or how I say it. This place should be about information first and support second. Almost every person coming on here is looking for information....then they find the support. But, at the end of the day, if the information isn't available, the support will mean nothing because these folks will still be lost and looking for answers.

If your skin is thin enough that my post caused you distress, then you need to take a look at what you are trying to get from here. My post was not intended to ridicule or belittle anyone. In fact, I started out by saying that what I was typing is my opinion. It was intended to get every one's attention and make you and them look at alternatives.

This pouch test hooey is a load of you know what.

Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Opinions are fine but when you come into a thread where people are actually doing the pouch test and spout off what a "hooey" it comes off as pompous. To me this thread may have started off asking about the pouch test but soon turned into some people actually doing the pouch test and looking for support. You came in and offered your "opinion" which totally felt like you were discounting the effort we were putting into this. Have you tried the pouch test? How can you offer an opinion if you haven't tried it? For me it wasn't about "shrinking" my sleeve. It was mental and to get me back on track. I just don't understand how you can come into a thread and spout off an opinion about something you haven't tried.

21. Said thanks: