Michelle Toder
    Last Activity
    11-24-2015 09:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 85 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,617 Times
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up The alien within

So far I've had a remarkable recovery, no gas, no nausea, no pain, just a soreness like doing too many sit-ups. Until I sneezed - ouch!
    However, I have had this alien in my belly, it growls & gurgles every time I eat or drink. It doesn't hurt per say, but it is a strange feeling like my stomach has teeth and is chewing on everything I swallow, and I "felt" hunger when I didn't expect to after the surgery. I spent the morning yesterday reading other recent surgical experiences I noticed some others were having the same symptoms, but with more pain or not being able to eat at all. One seasoned sleever suggested it was acid, not hunger or issues with our sleeve. I went and got some Pepcid and took a pill as soon as I got home, WOW, the alien was appeased, no more growling or gurgerly hunger feelings. I wish I could remember the handle of the person who mentioned the possibility of the acid so I could thank them directly, but to those of you who have gone through this process and share your knowledge and experiences I say a big thank you!

Entered SWLP 8/2/13 (289)
    Surgery date 1/13/14 (260)
    Onderland 9/1/14 (197.8)
    Century Mark 11/7/14 (189.8)
    11 Mo Ck in 12/19/14 (184.6)
    Anniversary 1/13/15 (181.0)
    18 months out 6/25/15 (173)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ProHeadhunter's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Valerie Halpin
    Last Activity
    02-02-2017 10:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The alien within

My doctor gave me a three month prescription before I left the hospital for an acid reducer. I don't take them very often but if I have hunger pains-similar to the monster you were referring, it kills it.

Today is December 10, 2013
    Starting Weight: 251
    Surgery Day Weight: 242
    First Goal: 199 by March 27
    {Update 207 March 27}
    Second Goal 175 by June 30th
    Ultimate goal- 165.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I could have written this! I too have had a great recovery. Seems to good to be true! No pain-just sore, no nausea, and no problems at all 'till a sneeze caught me by surprise. Ooooooh!. The growling and rumbling noises kind of remind me of being pregnant, when your belly was not your own! Glad your doing so well!

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Mark Pleatman
    Last Activity
    02-26-2017 05:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,130 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Khartt View Post
    So far I've had a remarkable recovery, no gas, no nausea, no pain, just a soreness like doing too many sit-ups. Until I sneezed - ouch!
    However, I have had this alien in my belly, it growls & gurgles every time I eat or drink. It doesn't hurt per say, but it is a strange feeling like my stomach has teeth and is chewing on everything I swallow, and I "felt" hunger when I didn't expect to after the surgery. I spent the morning yesterday reading other recent surgical experiences I noticed some others were having the same symptoms, but with more pain or not being able to eat at all. One seasoned sleever suggested it was acid, not hunger or issues with our sleeve. I went and got some Pepcid and took a pill as soon as I got home, WOW, the alien was appeased, no more growling or gurgerly hunger feelings. I wish I could remember the handle of the person who mentioned the possibility of the acid so I could thank them directly, but to those of you who have gone through this process and share your knowledge and experiences I say a big thank you!
    I called it the Monster within
    I have had this since after 7 weeks when I started eatting fruit. Yogurt, lettece, ect.
    I figured the doctor told me it happen sometimes and that it can happen up to 6months or so.
    My pain came when I ate and it was embarrassing now becuase it is so loud.
    I dont understand what it is but it sounds like it is coming out, I also suffer with drinking water, get heart burn every time.
    I am almost 2 years post op.
    Acid reflux idk but nothing works for me.
    I am use to it, I just stopped eatting somethings I like, fruit is one. I think it rumbles when i look at it lol.

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Acid is often mistaken for hunger. Weird, but true. My post-op prescriptions included an acid inhibitor for the first 2 weeks so I didn't have that issue. Have since though developed horrible acid reflux so my doc gave me a prescription inhibitor (prescription cheaper than OTC).

Anyway . . . my stomach likes to talk. Growl. Make itself known. Particularly at night. Well, anywhere really, but more often at night. And she's loud. It feels pretty funny too (now that a lot of fat is gone, I can feel the rumbling).

Not sure if this will always be the case, but it's a good reminder that this is a new life!

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Leann
    Surgery date
    04/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Emma Patterson
    Last Activity
    09-18-2016 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 323 Times

I had had heartburn for many years and then I discovered Prilosec. After Prilosec I went 6 years without heartburn. During my sleeve surgery I also had a hiatal hernia repaired (which was supposed to stop the heartburn post surgery). I did leave the hospital with a perscription for omeprazole (generic prilosec) and took it twice a day. 2 months later I had heartburn so bad everyday that I would almost throw up. I got so that the only thing that I could eat without getting sick was soda crackers (ate them while doctors were figuring out what was wrong). A couple of doctors and several tests later it turned out to be gallstones (discovered during ultrasound). I had no physical pain (when pushing over the gallbladder). Needless to say, I had my gallbladder out in July.
    Wrote all this to say acid reflux can be an indication of several things. Pay attention to what is causing/releaving it and talk to your doctor.

Dec. 19, 2012 - 309 pounds
    April 10, 2013 - 266 pounds
    April 12, 2013 - 272 pounds (I gained 6 pounds after surgery but have been steadily losing since then)
    November 21, 2013 - 209 - 100 pounds lost!!!!!
    January 1, 2014 - 205 - down is down after the holidays
    January 30, 2014 - 199.4 - first time in the 100's in over 30 years!

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm cracking up at the title of this! LOL. I could have written it myself!! I get an occasional grumble when I try something for the first time or if I go a little too fast (I've now recognized the grumble as the warning before the pain of overeating!). It stopped being so loud and terrible at about 10 days out for me.
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

13. Said thanks: