Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Caruana
    Last Activity
    07-06-2016 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How healthy or unhealthy were you before surgery?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying not to get worked up here. I need a heart and lung clearance from my doc before I can be submitted for insurance approval. The fact that I have atelectasis and a mildy enlarged heart freaks me out even if I do get approved. What if my crappy health causes complications during surgery? (I also have PCOS and sleep apnea on top of that)

So I am wondering if anyone who was really unhealthy beforehand do ok during surgery, or if everyone was in relatively good health? If you were mostly healthy beforehand, did you find your recovery relatively easy? And if you were pretty unhealthy, how did it go? Thanks in advance for your input

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How healthy or unhealthy were you before surgery?

I had high BP, controlled with 3 medications, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, over all pain, hip displasia, anxiety, controlled with light medication, and "asthma" that was not well controlled, (on 3 meds). They were concerned with "uncontrolled asthma" as it can be dangerous to receive anesthesia so they sent me to a pulmonologist for more tests. Turns out my chronic cough was not from asthma, but from silent reflux, (they also found a small hiatial hernia and evidence n the EGD. Despite all that, I think I was in reasonably good shape pre-op. I'm 47. I could walk a couple of miles at a decent pace, but didn't have the energy for more.

They put me on omeprazole 2x day and fixed the hiatial hernia during the sleeve procedure. I was only in the hospital overnight. I was back at work, (desk job), the next week. Today, three months later, I have plans for a spin class to be followed by a yoga class, followed by an active Saturday ending in an actual date! The only medication I'm still on is the omeprazole. The chronic coughing is gone.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Name
    Cathie
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Caruana
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well! I also have a chronic cough and have an appt with a pulmonologist in Feb. I am also worried about the anesthesia. Hopefully they will figure out the problem. Thanks so much for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by bikrchk View Post
    I had high BP, controlled with 3 medications, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, over all pain, hip displasia, anxiety, controlled with light medication, and "asthma" that was not well controlled, (on 3 meds). They were concerned with "uncontrolled asthma" as it can be dangerous to receive anesthesia so they sent me to a pulmonologist for more tests. Turns out my chronic cough was not from asthma, but from silent reflux, (they also found a small hiatial hernia and evidence n the EGD. Despite all that, I think I was in reasonably good shape pre-op. I'm 47. I could walk a couple of miles at a decent pace, but didn't have the energy for more.

They put me on omeprazole 2x day and fixed the hiatial hernia during the sleeve procedure. I was only in the hospital overnight. I was back at work, (desk job), the next week. Today, three months later, I have plans for a spin class to be followed by a yoga class, followed by an active Saturday ending in an actual date! The only medication I'm still on is the omeprazole. The chronic coughing is gone.

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

My only problem presleeve was my weight. No blood pressure issues, no diabetes, good blood work problems. The surgery for me was easy peasy:-) No pain at all, slept on my side right out of the gate, no gas pains. I did get the flu two days after being sleeved and the three weeks after I felt awful from that. Just be honest with your docs and do what they tell you. It is important to walk after surgery. I did that in the hotel ( my surgery was outpatient two hrs away from home). I was back to normal outside of the flu two days after surgery. Best of luck!
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Even if those things were a problem during surgery, the alternative of doing nothing will only leave you worse off. That's how I looked at it. I was fearful too but I knew that I wasn't going to be around a long time if I didn't get this weight off. And now no more diabetes, high blood pressure, gout, etc.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I was basically completely healthy before surgery. All of my blood work was perfect, my breathing was perfect, my heart was perfect. I was even in shape - I could easily run a mile (or more if I was being chased Lol). I only resorted to the surgery because I injured my back a few years ago and the extra weight was making it harder and harder to exercise. My blood pressure was juuuust starting to creep up - 135/90. Right after surgery it was 123/73, so I'm not sure what that means! Lol. I don't know if my health had anything to do with it, but my recovery so far has been flawless. I had virtually no pain - some slight discomfort for the first two days, but even that was fleeting. My experience couldn't have been more positive. At this point, aside from the food restrictions and such, I don't even feel like I had surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

Gastric Sleeve Member Kodi's Mom's Avatar
    Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a hypertensive, type II diabetic with sleep apnea, varicose veins with venous stasis and edema and osteo-arthritis. I also have a heart murmur which was diagnosed at age 12. All of the testing is to make sure we come out of the surgery alive and breathing. If they know what health issues we have, they can work around them and take precautions. I am hoping the WLS and resulting weight loss will improve my diabetes and osteo-arthritis. Don't know if it will help with the hypertension (have had it since I was in early 20's and have family history on both sides) or the sleep apnea (have snored since childhood and also family history) but any improvement is better than what I have. I currently take 1 med for blood pressure, insulin for diabetes, 1 med for pain management and one for the venous stasis/edema.

Name
    Cathie
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Caruana
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kodi's Mom. I think that I really needed to hear that. It's not that I don't trust my surgeon, I've just had anxiety about my health and dying for as long as I can remember. I need to have more faith that he won't perform the surgery if he thought that it would put me at risk. Good luck with your surgery as well!

Marvinator, you are right. What you said was one of the first things that I thought of this morning after I had a dream about my surgery. I will be worse off if I don't do it. Thank you.

Thanks for the input everyone!