Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default No pasta? Bread? Ever again?

Alright so being 95% Italian is no excuse I know, but it's legitament enough. Will I never be able to eat bread or pasta ever again or just not until my weight has stabilized? My cousin had gastric bypass and she said she is able to eat a slice of pizza once in a while!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No pasta? Bread? Ever again?

I really think it varies from person to person. It seems like most everyone struggles with it at first and for some it gets easier as time goes on. I know - the thought of not being able to eat pasta or bread ever again is a little overwhelming to me because carbs are my downfall, but I guess that's a big part of the reason I got to the point of needing surgery! It's a head game, for sure. One of my cousins had the gastric bypass, the other had the sleeve. The one who had the bypass can eat anything except sugar and she's 4 years out. The one who had the sleeve can eat ANYTHING and she's 18 months out. I think patience is key. Good luck!!
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

yes... I will be 2 years out in April and yes.. I can eat all the same foods as before... Just smaller portions.... I enjoy a variety of breads, pastas, rices and even a slice of pizza here and there.. But.... I am full with 1/2 a sandwich or wrap, about 1/2 cup of pasta or rice and one slice of pizza..... Cravings are satisfied and I don't feel deprived. Plus, my sleeve is doing what it's supposed to do in limiting the amounts of food that I eat... One of my biggest issues before surgery was portion control. I wasn't a fast food junkie, sweets indulger, nada.. Just liked to eat and didn't know when to push the plate away...

My sleeve has changed my life! I still enjoy food but in small amounts.. I seem to eat every 3 hours or so which has sped up my metabolism as well.. Perfect fit for me!!

I will say this though.... if all you ate was junk before surgery please know that you will get to the point where you can eat all junk post surgery so retraining your brain and making healthy choices is essential to long term success!

If you are just a food lover but have issues with portion control than this surgery is the best solution!! Just my opinion!

Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

I believe it's very individualized. I know at least in the beginning, for months, you really shouldn't be eating pasta or bread at all. Afterwards, they may be okay in small amounts and certainly not everyday. But it depends on the person. I know some people are able to have some carbs once in a while and feel satisfied and not crave them. Some people eat carbs and it awakens their inner "carb monster" and then that's all they crave for a while. My mother is one of those people. (She has not had WLS). One 1/2 cup of pasta and it's "I WANT BREAD, PASTA, AND POTATOES" for her for like a week. Yeah, it's bad.

I honestly don't know which I am yet. My mom made banana bread the other day. I had a bite of it (it was super warm and mushy so it was okay) and I felt fine and didn't crave anymore after that bite. I took home a couple slices for my boyfriend to eat and I watched him eat them and I felt fine.

Remember too that there are some awesome pasta substitutes. I tried some Nasoya noodles (made from soy and whatnot) pre op and once I can eat them again, I will. They have very, very few carbs and some protein. I found them to be very comparable to actual noodles. My boyfriend is Italian and makes pasta a lot. It is not a "trigger food" for me but I plan to use the Nasoya noodles so when he makes his pasta with his custom tomato sauces and grilled chicken, I'll be able to have his sauce and chicken over my noodles. That's the best part anyways!!

Bread? I'm not sure. I'm doing just fine without it right now. I was a real "bread and butter" girl pre-op. I bought my boyfriend some white bread so he could make chicken salad sandwiches. I am just eating mine plain right now and get my carbs from fruit and vegetables.

I'll tell you, this whole surgery really changes how you look at food. The hunger has really lose its edge with me which makes it so much easier to make healthy choices. I would have died if I had tried to completely cut out bread and pasta pre op. Now I don't care!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member princessdi's Avatar
    Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MeganES View Post
    I really think it varies from person to person. It seems like most everyone struggles with it at first and for some it gets easier as time goes on. I know - the thought of not being able to eat pasta or bread ever again is a little overwhelming to me because carbs are my downfall, but I guess that's a big part of the reason I got to the point of needing surgery! It's a head game, for sure. One of my cousins had the gastric bypass, the other had the sleeve. The one who had the bypass can eat anything except sugar and she's 4 years out. The one who had the sleeve can eat ANYTHING and she's 18 months out. I think patience is key. Good luck!!
    So theres nothing wrong with trying everything with time, right? Introducing them back into your diet once you are where you want to be with your weight, and maintaining it?

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barrbdoll View Post
    If you are just a food lover but have issues with portion control than this surgery is the best solution!! Just my opinion!
    This is so true. I definitely overate pre op, without meaning to. Breakfast? OMG I can't even tell you how many scrambled eggs I could put away. I am so thankful that I can only eat 1 now and feel full for hours.

Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by princessdi View Post
    So theres nothing wrong with trying everything with time, right? Introducing them back into your diet once you are where you want to be with your weight, and maintaining it?
    Always be sure to discuss things with your surgeon, but my surgeon made it very clear to me that once I'm reintroducing regular foods there are no restrictions at all. He explained that for a long time a lot of things might not taste or sit well, and that may change as time goes on but it will be up to me to decide what is or isn't worth putting into my body. There's nothing I won't be allowed to try.
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/19/2013
    Surgeon
    alanis
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 12:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts

i am already allowed pasta... but they want it overcooked at this point (i'm still at the soft food stage) i had my first step last night when i had half a cup of mac n cheese for dinner... and it was yummy AND filling. pre-op i could've eaten a whole box. i love that i am feeling like i can finally control what i am eating and that there won't be any real restrictions as to things that i can't have. and because i'm eating so little, it really does have an impact on what i choose to eat, opting for healthier choices most of the time... i tell you, as a former binge, closet eater... i feel free for the first time in decades.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

I'm over a year out and I do not eat pasta or bread. I eat about a teaspoon or two of rice occasionally, but most times I'm full from the protein and veggies so I don't end up eating the rice. I cannot even imagine trying to eat pasta, to tell you the truth. (And, this is coming from a person who used to make her own pasta from scratch).

I have eaten a plain croissant and it went down without a problem so I have never had a another one because that freaked me out.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Gastric Sleeve Member princessdi's Avatar
    Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
    I'm over a year out and I do not eat pasta or bread. I eat about a teaspoon or two of rice occasionally, but most times I'm full from the protein and veggies so I don't end up eating the rice. I cannot even imagine trying to eat pasta, to tell you the truth. (And, this is coming from a person who used to make her own pasta from scratch).

I have eaten a plain croissant and it went down without a problem so I have never had a another one because that freaked me out.

I not really weak for pasta now, being Italian I ate so much of it, I get sick of here "what pasta should we have for sunday sauce? But i do love bread! And im surrounded by some of the best pizza in the world! Haha

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

When we order pizza, I can have a very, very small slice. And, I don't eat the end crust. However, I don't do it often because although I'm not in discomfort, I feel kind of "meh" afterwards. I hope that makes sense.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

I not really weak for pasta now, being Italian I ate so much of it, I get sick of here "what pasta should we have for sunday sauce? But i do love bread! And im surrounded by some of the best pizza in the world! Haha
    Half Italian here, so I completely understand!

I am over 2.5 months out, and cannot tolerate breads or pasta at all. It has been the hardest thing for me about the sleeve. I am learning to live with it and hope it gets better in time.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

All in moderation!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

I had a six inch egg white sub from subway the other day on whole wheat. This was my first time eating bread. I ate half the bread and all of the egg white. It was good and I havent had any starches since. I definitely dont plan to make a habit of eating bread. Just wanted to see if I could. I definitely didnt enjoy quite the same as before when I could scarf it down.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Gail
    Surgery date
    12/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Madura
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Like everyone says it is all about how your system reacts to it. I know most doctors lean towards telling you that you can't have these things so you wont start on them and then over do it. But for myself I have had no yolks noodles in my chicken noodle soup and it was fine. I am just a little over a month out, I did however pick around most of the noodles to get the chicken and carrots. I have also thought about how I will deal with pizza when I end up with a huge craving and I decided that I am going to eat only the topping. But right now I know my tummy wont be happy with it so I will wait on it. I haven't even thought about trying any sort of rice even though I have been told I can try it if I want. I just think it might hurt right now so I leave it alone, but that is just how I think my body will react to it. Everyone is different and I believe it is all just trial and error and moderation with any and all food that we eat.

Best of luck to you!!!

25. Said thanks: