Surgeon
    Dr. Johnson
    Last Activity
    05-07-2018 09:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Confused and really don't know how to feel! Help anyone?

Good morning sleevers,

I was sleeved on 12/27/13 and I just started the need phase of "soft" foods. I went to my favorite seafood restaurant yesterday and got steamed fish and shrimp.. Now my old stomach would not only ate all on my plate, but I would of ate the plate too... I was so pissed because I took 3bites (smalls ones at that) and I was done! and it was hard going down! Starting to feel a little depressed.. Really didn't know my break up with food would be sooo hard! NMR mind is telling me that I'm hungry and I should be eating more, but my stomach is saying "HELL NO"! What's going on, I'm so confused, depressed, sad, etc.....
    LadyJ

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confused and really don't know how to feel! Help anyone?

I really believe that the most difficult part of this transition is the mental part. We are all here because food played an inappropriate part in our lives. We're like recovering alcoholics in my opinion, but the difference is that we need food and it is everywhere. It is not an easy thing to go through, but it happens to everyone. Hang in there and you will get through it. I'm surprised you're already on your soft foods stage. If it was particularly painful/uncomfortable I would recommend talking to your dr to see if you should wait a little bit longer before trying soft foods again.

You can do it!!! Keep up the hard work
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wasser
    Last Activity
    07-17-2014 01:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery on 12/19 and am only supposed to be eating anything soft enough to suck up a straw...but never use a straw.I have eaten scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes. Maybe it's just a little to early yet for your stomach. Try not to let it get you down, from these blogs it sounds like eventually we will be eating everything again, but just portion control...and I love the thought that just one or two bites will fill me and satisfy me instead of those days when I ate everything including the plate! Hang in there.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vinay Singhal
    Last Activity
    01-11-2014 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Wow soft foods already. I had surgery on 12/11 and I'm still on pureed food. I move to soft at 4 weeks which will be Wednesday. Be happy with 3 bites....means it's working but if it was uncomfortable maybe go back to pureed for a little while longer.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

When you first start back on soft food just a few bites will fill you up. The first month or so can be really rough when it comes to switching your eating patterns. It really does get better and you will be able to eat more as time goes on. Hang in there your stomach is still very swollen and in a big healing mode right now. The amount you eat and what you are eating is going to change each day but the key to it right now is to eat very slow and chew until you think it has reached the ridiculous level. This took me a long time to remember to do and I still have to slow myself down some times especially if it is something that I am really looking forward to eating.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

First I'd like to say hang in there. Feeling depressed from time to time is normal. If it gets too bad please tell your physician. I was told to expect the ups and downs. Don't be too upset about the three bites. I totally understand, but it does get better. You're still in the early stages. My first attempt with seafood was crab legs. I ate 1/2 a cluster of the big part of the leg and it was like heaven! The next time I ate the whole darn thing and thought I'd be sick! lol What is odd is I ate a jumbo shrimp and that was all I could hold in my stomach. My physician said shrimp is one to hold off on until later and make sure it's not over cooked. Fish is a great choice. I think it's because you're in the early stages of your transition and it isn't the same yet. For instance, I just ate one scrambled egg and one sausage patty for breakfast. I'm not hurting in my chest, but I know I'm full. You get used to knowing what full feels like and what it feels like to just be thirsty. It will get better!

Keep the faith and stay strong! You can do this and with each day it will get easier. Keep us posted and message me if I can help. Best of luck!

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It will get easier, this is not how you will always feel, don't worry!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    03/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Alamanaz-Reyes
    Last Activity
    12-28-2014 07:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Parting with 'what you have known as normal eating" is a battle. Grieve it, cry, and recognize it does get easier. I too mourned food. It is my addiction, and was my best friend. The days of eating an entire meal out are over. Left overs and carry out are a common thing now. I would suggest avoid eating out until u are stronger - and that's just time.

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/31/2013
    Surgeon
    William B. Inabnet
    Last Activity
    05-23-2016 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

One week out and it's extremely early days. I was on "soft foods" at this point also, but that meant alot of yogurt and very very soft things. Shrimp are kinda firm,no? I did have shrimp early on, but I cut it up into the tiniest pieces I could without actually pulverizing it. Soft fish will go down easier - salmon and tilapia are easy to cook at home. I didn't venture out to a restaurant until a month out, and then I took just a few bites and took the rest home. Good luck, it definitely gets better!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey LadyJ,

I can imagine I will feel the same way, food tastes good. We are all on a journey to eat to live, but not live to eat. I am trying to get my mind around eating really really slowly to saver the momments while eating only three bites. We have to pray. I don't know how I am going to feel. But one thing I do absolutely know..... I can do all things throught Christ that strengthens me. When your stomach says no!!! Loud and clear! Go do something else. Read, talk watch TV clean the house something accept thinking about how good the food tasted. You will get to finish the shrimp later in the day or over the next few days. You inspire me because you make me think of ways to prepare myself after my sleeve and I hope that what I am saying to you will help me post sleeve. I plan to take it slow, doesn't meean it will be easy, My Dr.said I will be on clear liquids before and after, about 20 days total before soft food even, I am looking at the www.unjury.com products that will allow me, I hope, to have a tasty meal and keep that longing to keep going away longer. Keep on inspiring. You are doing wonderfully!!

Name
    Jaye
    Surgery date
    12/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeff Allen
    Last Activity
    06-10-2014 11:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I just started soft foods yesterday. I could handle mashed potatoes and a hard boiled egg, but not tuna. I'm just assuming that's too much just yet. I'm trying to remember my stomach has been through major trauma and not to rush it. Hang in there.

Name
    Shalon
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Garcia
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 11:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Eat slower. Give yourself more time before trying shrimp again. It's not on the list of soft foods... Neither is baked chicken or any kind of roasted meat, I even tried spam, sure that it would be plenty soft enough, and it was a nightmare. make sure you pulverize food before you try to swallow it, too. My Nut's buzzword is "Applesauce consistency" for a reason.
    As for the sudden realization that you can't eat nearly as much as before... that just take some getting used to. I'm in a similar boat really. I had this little mexican restaurant I used to love going to. I used to eat the "Macho Combo" there all the time. It has a large taco, an enchilada, a tamale, and a large Chile Relleno on it. Last time I went I just ordered the Chile Relleno by itself and had to take half of it home. It was a blow.

Try to see the positive side of it though. Once you get used to how much you can eat you'll save money at your favorite restaurant. I very rarely venture off of the soup or appetizer menus anymore, and I usually like to take a friend who shares with me.
    Also, while it takes some massive adjustment, wasn't the enforced smaller portion sizes the whole point of the surgery?

overall, Just try to give yourself time. Time when you're eating the meal, time while your stomach heals til you can have your favorite textures/foods, time to get used to the new version of your stomach, and time to mourn the old foods and patterns you were used to.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kuhn
    Last Activity
    11-14-2014 08:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hi LadyJ,
    It is very hard but you will get through it. It is like a breakup with a loved one. You are changing your relationship with food. You are still healing so once the stomach swelling goes down you will be able to eat more than three bites. There are some foods you may not want to eat anymore. I used to mainline coffee and now I can not have a cup, even decaf. Not because I 'cant' I just don't want to. Your food choices will be different and your amounts will change. As you lose weight you wont care because you will be so happy with the new you.
    Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Hassan
    Last Activity
    12-18-2014 09:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

It sucks when the food still tastes good and you still want to eat but cant. However.... that's what got us on the operating table to begin with. Eat slowly. Enjoy your tiny meals. Get to go boxes to enjoy them later as well. Take your time and look forward to the slimmer waist line. That's so much better than overeating bc it tastes good!

Name
    Penny
    Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Boone
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there...There is so much good advice on this board! The key is to listen...try, try again...maybe don't go out for a while...eat really soft fish...flaky and soft, like tilapia, orange roughy, or opakapa...Take it easy - The best is yet to be