Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Be careful if you get sleeved in Mexico ( would not recommend it)

Quote Originally Posted by pattycake65 View Post
    I should have said, "I would never go to Mexico" for any surgery. I am sure there a good doctors, but another complication is that no doctor will touch you in the US, after you have been to Mexico for surgery. I have heard many horror stories, I would never do it, but to each his own.......
    Especially my age......
    Pattycake, multiple people above already posted that, following surgery in Mexico, they've received aftercare in the US from US-based doctors who were happy to do so. I'm delighted to hear any actual facts. You, however, seem determined to ignore them.

What usually turns out to be false are "facts" that X always / never / ever happens. Life and the practice of medicine and relationships and insurance policies are all varied as all get out.

I truly admire the people here who had the good sense to imagine various ways their surgeries could go and tried to minimize their financial and medical risks afterwards. Neither blind faith nor blind fear are good paths when considering weight loss surgery.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member chuck1960's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Chuck Hamby
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-06-2014 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Patty Fake the number 1 surgeon for weight loss in mexico ...they do more surgerys then doctors in the usa and theres Doctors that have come here for the suegery , im here now and ive never seen such a clean clinic in my life always cleaning ..and this site is probley 90% mexico sleevers ....

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member kjlscoggins's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-02-2017 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

I am here in Mexico, having had my surgery on Monday...it is very clean in the facility that I was in, cleaner than clinics I have been to in the States. The nurse who took care of me the whole night after surgery was helpful, nice, and very attentive...I have got more personal attention from the staff here, than I have in visits to my US doctor...do bad experiences happen for some who go to Mexico, yes...but they happen in the US as well... Shawto I am sorry for the experience you have to deal with and the extra money you have had to deal with...I do hope things start working getting betterfor you...notwanting to take away from what you are dealing with...

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Pattycake, multiple people above already posted that, following surgery in Mexico, they've received aftercare in the US from US-based doctors who were happy to do so. I'm delighted to hear any actual facts. You, however, seem determined to ignore them.

What usually turns out to be false are "facts" that X always / never / ever happens. Life and the practice of medicine and relationships and insurance policies are all varied as all get out.
    Amen to that. I am one of the ones who has been followed by their US doctor, and she and the staff were clear that it would not be a problem.
    What an irresponsible, knuckle head thing to say. (@ Pattycake - not Ann!) How do you come off with these blanket statements like all surgeries done in Mexico have complications, and no US doctors will do follow up? Shaking my head. I'm wondering if even you believe what you are saying.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/22/2013
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish the moderator would take this negative post down already. People have problems no matter where they have surgery. A little California girl is brain dead after having her tonsils out. Steve Jobbs who could buy a new body died at 54. If your doctor would not help you, it's time to find a new doctor. Doctors in the USA sometimes will not touch another local doctor's work either. I realize the person needs to vent, but I wish I would not keep getting this post sent to my email.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member j5Yolanda's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Valenzuela, MD
    Last Activity
    06-15-2015 06:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,197 Times

I was sleeved in Mexico and I'm from Canada. My doctor said he would give me after care. The doctors in Mexico are great and caring people. I had 3 or doctors come and check on me everyday while I was in the hospital. I of course had a great recovery and no problems. The hospital was clean and cleaner that any hospital in Canada that I have been to. Feel free to ask me any questions about my surgery and the care I received in Mexico. I actually think they are medical leaders in health care from what I have seen.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Wizman
    Last Activity
    06-15-2014 08:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am very curious to know the average cost of the surgery in Mexico and the reasons why Mexico. I see j5 Yolanda's reason. I heard nightmares about Canada's health care system from a Canadian. Just curious.

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Wizman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks!! Everyone has to do what they have to do wether be in US, canada or Mexico!!

Gastric Sleeve Member meisenlord's Avatar
    Name
    Marty
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    10-29-2014 11:57 AM
    Sierra Vista Estates, Arizona, United States
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I agree. My experience with the same Dr/hostital was marvelous!

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Wizman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I'm lucky I live in ft lauderdale where bariatric surgeons are everywhere but mine was the best!!! He did my husbands Gastric bypass 10 years ago and my hernia 3 years ago. He does not do general surgery much but he did it for me.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yes, complications happen with any surgeon, in any country. Sorry it happened to you!

If I had complications, being self-pay in the states, I would have been stuck with all bills. Seeing my insurance would not cover weight loss surgery, they also would not cover any complications from weight loss surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-28-2014 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should have follow up care planned BEFORE you have surgery. Some Mexican docs have aftercare, though a very few. Dr. Ortiz at A Lighter Me have a U.S. aftercare Bariatric doctor now. I think there is another company also. Just ask.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/03/2013
    Last Activity
    03-09-2014 12:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

leaks are caused by imperfections in procedure with the stapling, not by the patient. there are youtube videos you can watch where the surgeon explains the tricky spots and that leaks seem to happen in the same place for most people. everyone's stomach is a little different and how the surgeon staples Is going to be a little different and on rare occasion there will be leaks with every surgeon. it doesn't mean the surgeon is bad, but it is good to hear about both complications and successes. it gives people a chance to make a more informed decision. hopefully people won't make decisions based on one thread, but will synthesize the information from multiple threads. I, too, went to mexico and would not recommend the hospital I went to either, but for different reasons. hopefully this is a place where everyone can speak their truth.