Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-14-2016 07:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,303 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Need WLS Veterans Help!!!

Hi Everyone! For all who have had WLS and who are going to have it this year… Happy New Year & Happy New You!,

Now that I am several months out, I need some encouragement and advice from some of you pros. Can you give me some heads up on your journey like how do you react to eating now, are you throwing up, does your tummy still bubble, and how hard is it to maintain the loss? What are some of the things you do to keep your weight loss on track? I have emailed or messaged so many WLS Veterans on other sites but it seems once they hit goal or close to it they stop commenting or returning message request. I'm looking for help and support for the part of the journey I have not come to yet.

The closer I get to goal the more I'm struggling to maintain loss, to control appetite and cravings. I have noticed if I don’t keep busy I think about food constantly just like the old days. At first that did not happen but here in month 6 & 7 I feel it coming back stronger and stronger. If you have these thoughts what do you do to combat them? I also struggle to control the amount of food I can eat now, some days I can eat a lot and other days I can’t it hurts to eat and my tummy bubbles a lot on some days or some meals. If I don't take Mirlax every morning I do not go to the bathroom. What is your experience is there something else I can do? I don't want to be on Mirlax for the rest of my life. If you are more than 6 months out are you still drinking protein shakes and taking several vitamins?

I’m loving the way I look and feel but I’m constantly worried/scared about re-gain and will this be a lasting change for me. I was order by my pain mgt doctor to stop working out a few months ago because of a bad car accident and now I'm not sure if I can even motivate myself again to hit the gym and start running again like I use to. Please anything you can tell me will help. Thanks in advance, I wish you the very best this year and many more years to come.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

Default Re: Need WLS Veterans Help!!!

Lisa - hang in there! You've come so far and you can handle this. We've all gone through this. The sleeve is just another tool that must be worked with, it's just a more permanent tool and that's what makes it best.

Some days it feels like I haven't stopped eating, but, I still can't eat more than 4-6 ozs at a time and if it's protein (chicken, turkey, beef) it's even less than that. I have to make healthy choices, but that's fine. I still weigh in on Monday mornings to stay on track. Still take my protein shakes most every day, along with my Athletic Greens (vitamins and minerals) mixed in. Do I do the shakes every day, no. Do I notice it when I've missed a few days, YES! So I mostly do my BioTrust Low Carb w/Athletic greens, or I'll do Ensure High Protein or Premier Protein.

Exercise - I'll admit, I'm not an exercise person. I can walk the socks off my hubby when we're out and about and I'll park at the back of the parking lot at the store, other than that, I don't exercise. Occasionally, I'll do some stretching (which irritates my right shoulder arthritis). I'll also walk around my house to get my steps in (when my FitBit Flex vibrates - I've hit my daily goal of 6000 steps). Walking is cheap, can be done indoors or out, with someone or by yourself and is the best "exercise" you can do.

Cravings - oh yeah - we all get them. If it get's really bad, I'll have a bite of that brownie, or a few of those chips. The trick is to try to take your mind off those cravings, but if you can't, measure out a 1 portion serving of whatever it is and work with it. Of course, the real trick is to only have healthy foods around your house, but with a family, that's hard.

Bottom line, you went through a lot of trouble to get where you are and where you're going. You look fabulous and you're still working towards your goal. You can do this. Look on the internet for a support group you can go to and talk to other people.

I celebrated my surgiversary on the 19th of Nov 2013, but wasn't at goal (135) yet. I finally hit goal on the 2nd of December (134.4), by the 9th of December I was down to 133.2. Took a couple of weeks off the weighing in. Hit the scale on the 30th of Dec and was at 135.8.

My new goal is to settle down between 135 and 140. We'll see how it goes. I love the way I look and feel (when I don't skip my protein and vitamins for more than 2 or 3 days) and have no desire to go back to what I was.

You can do this. Just take it slow and steady. Keep a log of your weight (once a week, once a month, but NOT daily).

Happy New Year/New You!
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

My surgery was 2 years ago and I work at maintenance. I want to be clear though - it is less work to maintain at 150 than how hard I struggled to stay under 300# presurgery. Normal people, people who were never fat - especially women - have to work hard to maintain a healthy weight. You can't go back to fast food, junky food or big portions.

I have to eat low carb to keep cravings down, I still follow the sleever rules and I exercise regularly. I weight myself daily and if the scale starts creeping up outside of my "bounce range" I buckle down and cut back until I am into my desired weight range.

I am not sure this helps, but for me maintenance is similiar to losing phase in principle. There is no "end" to this journey when you hit goal.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Vicky, thank you sooooo very much for responding. I love this site people communicate, encourage and hold you accountable when you need it. You telling me this makes me feel less alone and like I'm struggling out here on my own. My daughter had the surgery the same day as I did but she doesn't struggle anywhere near the amount I do. She eats whatever she wants just in small portions. I know I can't compare myself to here she is young and everyone is different it's just frustrating when I cheat a little I pay for it later. I'm hanging I just want the fear to go away and just feel like this is my normal life nothing I have to be afraid of and watch like a hawk day in and day out. I do have to stay on track with my protein I like you will skip a few days here and there lately and I noticed I eat more on those days (not sure if you notice or do that). Thank you again and I will stay the course with fabulous people like you helping I can't ask for anything more.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jane, yes this helps a lot! You sound like me during my first 6 months this struggle has really just started, but just as you said today with the new year I had a come to Jesus talk with myself after I made this post and decided I need to go back to ALL the things I did my first 2-6 months to get where I am now. I never eat fast food and I only have junk like a small piece of chocolate or a few chips typically once or twice a month and it's usually around that time of the month. I have just noticed here lately with me eating more often and even if I select healthy carbs like fruit I will stall or gain. I like you weigh daily so I can keep a tight hold on it but I have gained a pound or two several time and it takes me a week or more to get it back off. The beginning of this week I gained a pound everyday for 3 days. Yesterday if finally started going back in the right direction and today I started the gym again and that helped with another pound lost. I know that may sound silly me watching a pound or two or even three so hard but I want to get o goal and I want to keep headed in the right direction. Like you said if you do a little gain and you weigh yourself daily you can get on top of it right away. Thank you for sharing and continued life long success to you!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Lacylynnette's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schrapps
    Last Activity
    03-28-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm almost at my goal (130).... And my 6 month anniversary for surgery was today!! I weigh EVERY day. I kinda feel like now instead of being obsessed with food I'm obsessed with the scale. So scared of gaining the weight back and get so discouraged with stalls. Well .... That wasn't very motivating! Sorry!

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

I weigh almost every day. It helps me spot trends like low protein and/or fluids. I can tell just by the scale when either or both of those are low in my consumption.

I still eat small portions, and 6-8 times per day. I still follow the 30 minute rule regarding fluids and eating. I still follow the protein first, veg/fruit second, carb last rule.

I've have gained and lost the same 3 pounds since June. By weighing every day, if I creep up, I can knock that pound or two back down pretty easily. Five or more pounds are harder to lose so I don't let myself creep any higher.

My stomach is still as noisy as hell. It's just the way it is.

I do not have issues with constipation (I have IBS-D) but you could always toss in some Benefibre into your water (fluids). It's tasteless and dissolves. The fibre should clear up your issue. However, if you have been taking a laxative for that long, you probably have weakened your bowel muscles and you might experience some issues at first. You should slowly wean yourself off the laxative. You should probably talk to your doctor on how to do it (as I have never had this issue but the opposite one).

I still drink the occasional protein shake if I am running around and need something quick, or if my protein is too low over a period of a few days. I probably have a shake 2-3 times per week.

I always, ALWAYS, take my vitamins. That will never change for the rest of my life. VSG'ers cannot get sufficient vitamins through our food.

As for exercise, I still haven't. Although, I did have a lot of fun with my kids New Year Eve playing Just Dance on the wii. This is one area that I really need to work on.

Did I miss anything?
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Gastric Sleeve Member Sheila Anne's Avatar
    Name
    Sheila
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christou
    Last Activity
    03-29-2014 10:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Interestingly enough, you and I were sleeved one day apart and have lost exactly the same amount. I don't know about you, but I think I have only lost a couple of pounds in November, and with all of the parties in December, did not lose a pound that month. One big problem is that I find myself going back to my old ways, esp with all of the cookies and chocolates that had made their way into the house over the holidays. Today I started a 5 day pouch diet, which is designed to curb your carb cravings and set you back on track. Day one and two are all liquid, protein shakes: soups, yoghurts. No carbs. Coffee only if it is part of your routine. Eat to satisfy your hunger. Day 3 is fish, all you can eat, baked, grilled or canned. The only catch is that you eat for no more than 15 minutes at a time No water 30min before or 30 min after. Day 4 is ground beef or shellfish. Day 5 is chicken or beef steak, grilled or broiled. For days 3-5, you can eat as often as you like but no more than 4-6 ounces at a time.

I learnt about this on a private Facebook page called Our Journey to a Healthier Life. We have all had bariatric surgery.

I am only on day one, but the objective is to remove the carbs from our diet and get the feeling of fullness back in our pouch. It also helps us get back on track.

I hope this help you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

So, I think if you get obsessed with the scale you should NOT weigh daily. By obsessed I mean your day is good or bad based on a number...

I do weigh daily but i don't get wound up over a single day. Especially since having plastic surgery Oct 14 my weight can swing alot with swelling. I allow myself a generous bounce range of 5 pounds and start worrying when I am always bouncing at or over the top.

My advice, 2 years out, remain vigiliant and determined but try not to let fear of regain take the joy out of your life. I got to goal of 158 but last summer was having too much fun and by August was hitting the 160-163 range and decided to refocus and get back down to the 155-160 range. Well, crazy but it came off so easily I decided to just keep going and established a new bounce range of 145-150. Right now I am bouncing more like 150-153 so time to refocus and get back into the range but I am also swelling alot right now so who knows. What I am trying to say is that find something that works for you for accountability - like the scale - use it diligently but not "wacky" - don't use it to torture yourself or have completely insane or overly restrictive standards.

I have regained weight so.many.times. I know the fear, I still have it. Each week and month that passes since I hit goal (feb 2013)... I get a little closer to believing this maintenance thing might be possible. I have made friends with a few women who got to goal and then regained say 20 pounds and then worked it back off... now those are people to follow as your mentors/heros. In my view, "managing" weight is a lifelong endeavor that gets harder and harder as we age. Acceptance that it doesn't end, that maintenance is just a continuation of the weight loss journey... well I think that is one of many crossroads people face.

This is an important topic, glad you posted it.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member monkey67girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chris Sanborn
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Cowgirljane.....You are my new hero!!!....

Surgery date
    11/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ihor Fedorak
    Last Activity
    11-07-2014 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sheila Anne. I have been struggling quite a bit because the only things that haven't made me nauseous are carb heavy. I am going to try the 5 day pouch diet and see if that helps. Anything to get me on track, feeling better and off this plateau .

Happy and healthy New Year to all!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lacylynnette View Post
    I'm almost at my goal (130).... And my 6 month anniversary for surgery was today!! I weigh EVERY day. I kinda feel like now instead of being obsessed with food I'm obsessed with the scale. So scared of gaining the weight back and get so discouraged with stalls. Well .... That wasn't very motivating! Sorry!
    But it was funny Thank you, you have done fantastic in a short amount of time. What is a typical days menu like for you?

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
    I weigh almost every day. It helps me spot trends like low protein and/or fluids. I can tell just by the scale when either or both of those are low in my consumption.

I still eat small portions, and 6-8 times per day. I still follow the 30 minute rule regarding fluids and eating. I still follow the protein first, veg/fruit second, carb last rule.
    Thank you! This is great information. I thought I was eating and thinking about food too much lately. I guess eating 6-8 times a day would feel like you are thinking about eating or food all day long. You did not say what a small portion is for you? I guess I'm eating some where around 1/2 cup to a little under a cup most of the time. I hate tracking calories but I almost feel like I need to do that. At 7 months out I don't even know how many calories I should be consuming at 155 pounds. I have not been this weight since kindergarden (just joking about that) but it has been a long time.

Thank you again and good luck in your life long maintainance goal.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljane View Post
    I have regained weight so.many.times. I know the fear, I still have it. Each week and month that passes since I hit goal (feb 2013)... I get a little closer to believing this maintenance thing might be possible. I have made friends with a few women who got to goal and then regained say 20 pounds and then worked it back off... now those are people to follow as your mentors/heros. In my view, "managing" weight is a lifelong endeavor that gets harder and harder as we age. Acceptance that it doesn't end, that maintenance is just a continuation of the weight loss journey... well I think that is one of many crossroads people face.

This is an important topic, glad you posted it.
    You are my new mentors/hero! I don't let the scale dictate my day or feelings but I do however let the regain thoughts keep me in a state of fear. The last few days have been very hard for me and I have stayed on this site for a few hours in the last 3 days trying to stay focused and motivated. Thank you for your post and encouraging words, I truly appreciate it.
    L

Name
    Susan
    Surgery date
    10/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas A Jones
    Last Activity
    10-20-2014 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times

Great post. I learned a lot too! Thanks!