David Kim, MD
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Gained a couple pounds

Well, I weighed myself as usual and today I gained two pounds. I know it could just be water weight but it's still no fun to see the numbers on the scale go up. It makes me wonder if Im doing something wrong and it's frustrating. I really hoped to lose today as I haven't lost in a few days and now I've gained. I'm headed to the gym. I need these pounds off!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-24-2016 07:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gained a couple pounds

Hang I'm there, it happens. I feel the same way when it happens. I was suck for 3 weeks, them gained 2lbs. Finally this morning i lost. I hate it, want to reach goal so bad by a year, but don't know if out will happen.
    Stay strong.

Name
    Ben
    Surgery date
    04/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-10-2016 04:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

It seems like I have had a stall every ten pounds or so. Just learn what your body's pattern is and go with it. That will make those times of readjustment and weight redistribution seem easier. Stalls are necessary and inevitable. Do not get too frustrated.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Hope its just a blip. When I gained a pound or two in a day it was usually due to less sleep and/or greater intake of food and fluids the day before. And it would usually be gone the next day.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

Gastric Sleeve Member SleevedRN's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/22/2013
    Surgeon
    David Kim, MD
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. Still waiting to lose. Still working out.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

It happened to me over the weekend. I have a big problems with the 'decade' numbers. I almost always stalled at 30, 40, 50 etc. Do all the things you normally do and hang in there. Our bodies do what they need to do, and sometimes, for whatever reason, that means gaining a pound or two. If you keep gaining it might be worth talking to your NUT, but for now try not to worry.

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't freak out quite yet...our weight does fluctuate from day to day and from hour to hour depending upon what we eat and drink. Bottom line is that the weight is coming off and will continue to come off when you average it out over a period of time. If it's going to bother you, don't weight so often, just once a week. Me, I weight everyday, and just know the number so it guides me throughout the day. I lost 95 lbs and am in the end of month 20 post op right now. I LIVE each day, eat what I want and make the smarter protein choices, etc. I even indulge in christmas cookies and fudge, but have a taste here and there and am satisfied. I have stayed within 2-3 lbs of my lowest weight from the surgery loss. For me, it has been AWESOME!
    Don't freak out about a number...live your life and go for the gusto. Know your body, know you'll stall and then lose, etc. It's a cycle and this is for the rest of your life. It's natural and part of the whole journey.
    Have a truly wonderful Christmas and 2014!

10. Said thanks:

RRT

Name
    Eileen
    Surgery date
    01/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-28-2015 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I own a doctor's scale and would weigh every morning, religiously! The incremental movement...both up and down...drove me nearly crazy. I was so determined to lose this weight and in a hurry that I was sick about weighing in. I DREAMED of weighing and even dreamed I was weighing and not losing and being depressed and woke up and then REALLY woke up. It was CRA-ZY! I finally sent my scale home with my brother and his wife. I asked them to keep it for a year...until my brain caught up to reality. Reality is this sleeve works. It works quickly for some and slower for others but IT WORKS. And what is the hurry?!?! This is the rest of my life....I'm not going to lose and then change back...this is it....forever! But I had to learn that without the scale there to obsess over. After about 6 or 7 months, I went and picked up my scale. I weigh every morning now but I don't go crazy with the fluctuation. From mid-July until about 3 weeks ago, I was on a stall....NO FLUCTUATION! I WAS going to the gym for about 2 months and I WAS monitoring my water intake (and taking it more seriously) for awhile but had begun ignoring those important aspects. For the first several months, my new tummy rejected all but a handful of foods so my diet consisted mostly of chocolate shakes (I made myself), oatmeal or Malt-O-Meal, yogurt, cheddar cheese, and broth-y soup. I had an aversion to anything else. Only about 3 weeks ago, my body took a turn and more things taste good to me. (Wanna hear something funny?!?! Isn't sugar and fatty foods supposed to make you throw up? Not me! Normal foods made me sick to my stomach but cookies and chips and most all sweets still taste WONDERFUL! Go finger!) Anyway, all of this to say I'm now down 99 lbs in almost 11 months. Though the numbers on the scale are not what I want them to be, my dr., my husband, my friends, and acquaintances all say I don't need to lose any more weight. (I AM large framed. My husband says he doesn't know where I could possibly lose more.) I've gone from a size 24 to a current 10 or12 depending on the brand. My desire is to lose another 25 lbs and I will...over time.

Sorry to be so wordy, but it saw something of myself in your initial post and thought I might help. Mary (aboutime4me) was a huge inspiration to me when I needed it. She really, really encouraged me when I was down. You'll get there, SleevedRN! Hang in there and as Mary suggested, get off that scale or put it waaaaay away for awhile. It's discouraging when you don't see the numbers go down. Let your clothes be your scale for awhile.

Merry Christmas!
    Highest Weigh ~305
    Weight, Day of Surgery - 275 Beginning BMI: 45.8
    10 days after surgery - 253.50 (-21.5 lbs)
    102 days after surgery - 215.5 (-59.5)
    149 days after surgery - 198.5 (-76.5) IN THE ONES!!!! Current BMI: 32.5
    10.5 mo. post surgery - 177 (-98 lbs). Current BMI: 29
    16 months post op - 176 (-99 lbs.)

Name
    "Lea" (nickname)
    Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

Couldn't agree more with efh56. So right on! I look at the scale now maybe once a month. Have gone from a 22(fat Ladies) pant size in June 2013 to a 14/12 Ladies pant size. I'm 5' 9.5" and my friends are telling me I've lost too much!!! Ha Ha Ha. Nope 20lbs to go. Then I will be happy.
    Stalls frustrating? Counting calories/protein pain in the butt? Looking in the mirror after losing 80 lbs and smiling? PRICELESS. Don't rush/worry your doing fabulous!!!
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Flipflops's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Simchuk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2020 10:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

Great advice Eileen. I'm happy you got over that 3 mo. stall. I'm ready to toss my scale. It's always 1 - 2 lbs light anyway.

Highest weight - 254
    Day of Surgery - 245
    1 month: 22 lb. loss (232)
    2 month: 12 lb. loss (220)
    3 month: 12 lb. loss (208)
    4 month: 7 lb. loss (201)
    5 month: 5 lb. loss (196)
    6 month: 7 lb. loss (189)
    7 month: 7 lb. loss (182)
    8 month: 5 lb. loss (177)
    Goal: 150

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by efh56 View Post
    I own a doctor's scale and would weigh every morning, religiously! The incremental movement...both up and down...drove me nearly crazy. I was so determined to lose this weight and in a hurry that I was sick about weighing in. I DREAMED of weighing and even dreamed I was weighing and not losing and being depressed and woke up and then REALLY woke up. It was CRA-ZY! I finally sent my scale home with my brother and his wife. I asked them to keep it for a year...until my brain caught up to reality. Reality is this sleeve works. It works quickly for some and slower for others but IT WORKS. And what is the hurry?!?! This is the rest of my life....I'm not going to lose and then change back...this is it....forever! But I had to learn that without the scale there to obsess over. After about 6 or 7 months, I went and picked up my scale. I weigh every morning now but I don't go crazy with the fluctuation. From mid-July until about 3 weeks ago, I was on a stall....NO FLUCTUATION! I WAS going to the gym for about 2 months and I WAS monitoring my water intake (and taking it more seriously) for awhile but had begun ignoring those important aspects. For the first several months, my new tummy rejected all but a handful of foods so my diet consisted mostly of chocolate shakes (I made myself), oatmeal or Malt-O-Meal, yogurt, cheddar cheese, and broth-y soup. I had an aversion to anything else. Only about 3 weeks ago, my body took a turn and more things taste good to me. (Wanna hear something funny?!?! Isn't sugar and fatty foods supposed to make you throw up? Not me! Normal foods made me sick to my stomach but cookies and chips and most all sweets still taste WONDERFUL! Go finger!) Anyway, all of this to say I'm now down 99 lbs in almost 11 months. Though the numbers on the scale are not what I want them to be, my dr., my husband, my friends, and acquaintances all say I don't need to lose any more weight. (I AM large framed. My husband says he doesn't know where I could possibly lose more.) I've gone from a size 24 to a current 10 or12 depending on the brand. My desire is to lose another 25 lbs and I will...over time.

Sorry to be so wordy, but it saw something of myself in your initial post and thought I might help. Mary (aboutime4me) was a huge inspiration to me when I needed it. She really, really encouraged me when I was down. You'll get there, SleevedRN! Hang in there and as Mary suggested, get off that scale or put it waaaaay away for awhile. It's discouraging when you don't see the numbers go down. Let your clothes be your scale for awhile.

Merry Christmas!
    I think you wrote wonderful, inspiring words and am sure SleevedRN will feel the same. Thank you!!

Merry Christmas to you as well!