Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    03-01-2016 07:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default lapband revision to gastric sleeve

Hi everyone. I'm going in for surgery in january for a revision from lapband to sleeve. Any suggestions? Has anyone had this surgery and how did it go? Any acid reflex after sleeve? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    10-21-2014 10:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: lapband revision to gastric sleeve

I was also a band to sleeve conversion, tho my surgeon does it in 2 surgeries. First remove the band, heal for 90 days and then do the sleeve surgery. According to my surgeon, depending on the amount of scar tissue you have will play a part in how much swelling you have and your sleeve may be slightly bigger as the scar tissue causes issues. The more swelling there is the more acid reflux there can be. I have additional swelling and at this point can only get down very thin liquids
    My acid reflux has been severe, I started with 1 prilosec a day after surgery then upped it to 2x a day on Day 3. I am 9 days out now. I had my 1 week appt yesterday and the surgeon added another med, sucralfate, to help with it. I'm now taking sucralfate 3x and prilosec 2x a day.

HW-2007 Lap Band - 304
    HW-2013 Sleeve - 284
    SW - 270
    1 mo - 254
    2 mo - 245
    3 mo -

Gastric Sleeve Member Deee_liciosa's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    02-24-2014 01:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I switched from band to sleeve on the 3rd. I feel phenomenal. I finally got released to a little more than puréed, still very soft. But I have lost 17 pounds since surgery and I feel wonderful. I was told it might be a little slower for people that have switched from the band, and I suppose that's something we have to live with. But, I'm so glad I did it. No wish I would have gone this route from the beginning. I have had no problems with any heart burn or reflux at all. Good luck to you! I hope it goes well for you

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you Jen & Dee for giving me information...my doctor is hoping to do it in one surgery and i am really hoping that he can....the band is empty and still way to tight. I have been on 4 prilosec a day from the acid reflex...when its filled i would vomit in my sleep even though i sleep on three pillows and my bed is elevated! I am down to 1 prilosec a day because the band is empty. I just can't wait to get this out of me!! I had little pain after the lapband surgery is the pain about the same with the sleeve?

Name
    Nathalie (Nat)
    Surgery date
    11/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael D. Williams
    Last Activity
    02-26-2015 10:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi!

I was a conversion from the lapband. My surgeon did it in one surgery. I had acid reflux for 6 months, and suddenly one day it subsided. I rarely have an issue these days.

I have not lost slower than other people. As a matter of fact, my doc told me I had lost faster than some of his patients who had had RNY. I was using my juicer like a fiend for a while, so I know that is a major factor in my success.

I will tell you that I had some pain where the band was taken out. There was puckering and a weird knot that has since (mostly) gone away. It was painful - sometimes it felt like stabbing pains - and uncomfortable. It was totally worth it -- I was SO glad to get that hateful band out of me.

Good luck with your procedure!!!

~Nat
    Band is gone - Sleeve is in

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you Nat, I am going in for the revision on the 8th of Jan ) so looking forward to getting the band out!! I'm just praying the surgeon can do it in one surgery!! Did you take anything for the acid reflux, and did it help?

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dani
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Fowler
    Last Activity
    02-14-2014 11:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Juliek - just wondering how you are doing. I just found this thread after goggling lapband revision to sleeve blogs. I have a lapband placed - June 29, 2011 and initial success for about 4 months and have been struggling ever since. My band is currently empty do to persistent productive burping while eating. It has been about a year empty mid February and I've slowly been gaining all my weight back and then some. I am currently over my surgery date weight by 20lbs. I have quite a few other medical problems besides obesity which have not helped my situation. I did consider revision surgery back before my doctor emptied my band but felt so much better after he did that, now not so much again. I am again contemplating what to do. I don't think I qualify for revision surgery with my current BMI but that is increasing rapidly. I am curious and hopeful for your success. How long did you have your lapband in place before this revision? To add to my personal frustration, my aunty had a sleeve done by the same surgeon about a year ago and has been totally successful. I am happy for her of course but envious as well. At the time of my surgery my insurance was not covering the sleeve - only band and bypass. I'm so confused. I had to have my gall bladder removed this past June due to a stone and am dealing with a ovarian cyst for the past 4 months. I don't really want another surgery but I am really frustrated with myself. I am glad you are taking action to feel better and am wishing you well! Dani

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi, today I am doing awesome. i had the band put in in 2010 it was very tight. I got one fill and it sent me on a downhill spiral. I also lost and then regained 30 pounds. My insurance company approved the revision so they covered the cost. Find a good surgeon that specializes in revisions. Good luck to you

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

After many failed years with my band, I'm so glad it's gone! I'm a slow loser, but that's a lifestyle issue (choice), and not due to the sleeve. I do actually have acid reflux now and hoping one day it will stop. Been taking a prescription acid blocker for a few months now.

Just wish I would have/could have gone this route many years ago instead of the band.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

Name
    Dani
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Fowler
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Great news - glad you are doing awesome! My story sounds similar to yours. I had only one fill initially then it was down hill also. I am happy for you. May I ask your height? I presently weigh 218 and am 5'2". My highest weight pre surgery was 230. I was 199 on surgery day. Got down to 175 in 4 months then gained 10lbs and stayed there for about a year. Gradually have go back up to 199 and stayed there and most recent 4 months gone up to 219. I know my surgeon is good at all bariatric surgeries including revisions - it is all he does. I am not completely sure where my path is going just yet. Good luck to you!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I started at 240 with the band went down to 170 within a year then started gaining in 2012 and i went back up to 209 . I'm so happy its out. I no longer feel like i am being strangled!

Name
    Dani
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Fowler
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is wonderful to hear you say you are so happy. I have an appointment with my dietician from the program with my surgery and will be, again, discussing possible revision surgery options. As of my last appointment with her my BMI was not high enough to warrant insurance coverage. It is awful to think my BMI is so close to what it was to begin with and going through this process again. I am really torn about feeling I have failed myself not being able to follow the directions for my band yet the darn thing was too tight and I think it still is a problem empty. I spent so much time after surgery throwing up and not being able to eat the foods I was supposed to - to get enough protein down. I am worried that even a sleeve may not be a solution at this point. I don't want to fail yet again with my weight loss. The more I research looking for people with issues with their band, the more I see similar case scenarios to mine. I have also seen people I know that have done completely awesome with their band. I think my biggest fear is that I won't be able to eat like a normal person ever again if I get a sleeve. Obviously, I have read stories of people who stretched out their sleeved stomach and got pasted that. I am also afraid of the whole acid reflux issue as socaldixiegirl mentions. I think your story is the closet I have come across to my own. I am totally encouraged by your success. I is so incredibly helpful to be able to communicate with others in similar health situations. Thank goodness for such technology. My psychologist I see through my program has mentioned a few patients that have needed to go through revision surgery for whatever wasn't working for them. I did not get very detailed but understood that it wasn't unheard of. Anyway - sorry to ramble on.....happy for you!!! Have a great day!!! ~ Dani

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. McCluney
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Dani, don't think the band failing, and gaining weight is your fault! Sometimes the doctors put in such small bands and they just never work, because they are way to tight. I thought it was my fault also. I thought maybe I was eating to fast or the wrong things. My doctor kept saying don't come back till you loose 20 pounds! He never did a swallow test or anything. He blamed everything on stress!! My daughter wanted the band so we . looked into doctors around us. Didn't want her going to the same one in boston as me as i didn't believe in him. We went to a info meeting and both my daughter and i felt so comfortable. I talked to him and told him what was going on with me he did a swallow test and couldn't believe how tight i was. He unfilled me and became my doctor. My daughter had the band done with a bigger band and she is doing great! I think with the ...ifright size band and the right doc it does work. The doctor told me "i didn't fail the band the band failed me" which made me fell better. My daughter is filled up to 9 cc's i couldnt be filled more then 1 cc with out getting stuck and vomiting it was nuts!! I guess long story short i,I don't want you to blame yourself. Going to the sleeve was the best thing for me take care. I hope your next appointment with the nutritionist will help you decide. If you have any questions or i can help you in anyway please message me or email me

Gastric Sleeve Member abequa2000's Avatar
    Name
    Barbara
    Surgery date
    04/09/2013
    Surgeon
    ASAD
    Last Activity
    03-20-2017 06:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did mine last april all in one surgery was the best thing i could have done

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Dani
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Fowler
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

I have an appointment with my bariatric surgeon Monday morning. My dietitian feels curtain that the band is just not the right tool for me and is not doing what it needs to for me. She says she has see me struggle too much and feels I have given it my best. She has seen other patients get revision from the band and are so much happier and more successful in their weight loss. She said the band does work for some people and that is great - I am not one of those. The thing that threw me off that she did say was that she recommends a by pass vs a sleeve. Obviously, she said it is up to the surgeon. I am pretty overwhelmed and stressed out right now. Thank you for your kind words and support. I will be back on here Monday to share what happens at my appointment. Have a great weekend.