01/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. V.d. Laar
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 123 Times

Arrow Dieting has given me 120 extra pounds.

Hi, I am a grandmother with a lifelong weight issue. Every diet helped, after eating normally again, it jumped back on with the usual extra pounds as a bonus.

Over the years, I have cut out deserts, soda's, bread, sugar. My body just gets more of a slowburner.

I go to aquajogging twice a week, take the bike when I can, but it gets harder and harder to lose any weight.

So next month, I hope to get my gastric sleeve. Ofcourse I am still a struggling with the idea of needing surgery to lose weight. I feel a bit of a wimp really.

At the moment I am reading up on all the side effects of a gastric sleeve. Are the risk of the complications outweighing the dangers of my weight? I converted the kilo's and it is 132,3 pounds!

Roundy
    Reason: Spelling error

2. The following 137 users said welcome Roundy to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 03:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dieting has given me 120 extra pounds.

Hi I'm 2 weeks post op. it took me a year to decide to go for it but so far I feel I've made the right decision. Having friends and family who are supportive makes a huge difference and doing your homework on the surgeon. I am over 60 so also felt very nervous about the op and possible complications but honestly it was a breeze. Apart from a tiny bit of gas pain across chest for one day (and I mean tiny) I've had no complications. I'm on liquids for 4 weeks altogether and for the first time in my life it doesn't bother me. I can cook a lovely meal for the family and not be tempted at all.i know a year or so down the line this hormone ghrelin grows back by which time I hope all the excess will have gone and I hope to be able to control my appetite. If my knees and hips and breathlessness has improved it will be a huge incentive. I lost 7 pounds first week and not much this week but my waist is down 2 inches and I know the rest will follow. Be sure you want this and be sure your family are all clued up too. I wish you best of luck x

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost four months post op. It took me 9 months of research and jumping through hoops for my insurance in order to be sleeved. I lost 23 lbs prior to the pro-op diet. During my 2 week liquid pre-op diet I lost another 15 lbs. Since Surgery I have lost another 43 lbs. I am down a total of 81 lbs. My starting weight was 289. I am now 208. I am hoping and working towards my next goal of under 200 by Jan. 1st.

The whole process of working towards getting sleeved and actually getting sleeved was a huge eye opener for me. I am finally feeling better about myself physically and emotionally. Even with all of my excess lumps and bumps I am now no longer dreading the full length mirror.

As for my health...I haven't had to use my inhalers in a few months ( I have asthma and COPD ), my knees and hip don't hurt nearly as much, my blood sugars are in the normal range ( I was pre-diabetic prior to surgery ), my oxygen levels are no longer too low, my blood pressure has always been low but now is really low.

Over-all, I feel great and having the sleeve has given me a new lease on life. Was it worth the risks? I would definitely say yes, but I had no serious complications.

Gastric Sleeve Member toutdesuite's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    05-22-2015 06:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I hear ya, Roundy! Your story sounds like my story. But at this point in my life, I'm afraid if I don't have the surgery. So which is the lesser fear? Fear of surgery or fear of the future health risks I face at my current weight...

Surgery date
    11/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    10-04-2018 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Don't feel like a wimp. I contemplated long and hard about getting the sleeve because of my age (66) but in the end, I felt that the benefit far outweighed the negatives.I now look at my smaller stomach as the willpower that I never could find. It doesn't allow me to eat more than I should and that may be just what you need to take off the weight. I am now five weeks post op and am really happy that I did it. The journey is not easy because you will be on a real diet but when you see your weight drop, you will be happy too. Good luck.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad you are here! The people are really supportive here and full of great information! Best wishes as you go through your process!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. V.d. Laar
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 123 Times

Have you found your dog yet?