08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Default Re: VSG revision to DS? I need HELP please!

Grace, seriously, 20 ounces? I have been asking what a mature sleeve can eat several times on here and other forums and no one has ever given a number anywhere near that high. Highest I have heard before is 12 ounces and most are somewhere between 6 and 10. I am hoping for 10 to 12 because I need at least 2100 calories a day to stay at my current weight. But my wife is 8 months out and I really dont think she gets past 6 ounces.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinator View Post
    Grace, seriously, 20 ounces? I have been asking what a mature sleeve can eat several times on here and other forums and no one has ever given a number anywhere near that high. Highest I have heard before is 12 ounces and most are somewhere between 6 and 10. I am hoping for 10 to 12 because I need at least 2100 calories a day to stay at my current weight. But my wife is 8 months out and I really dont think she gets past 6 ounces.
    yes, I've done the rice test and I can get over 2 cups in easily... my surgeon hadn't done many of these when I had it done. I think she just didn't make it tight enough....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, how many had she done before she did yours (if you know)?

Thanks,
    Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many had she done before she did yours (if you know)?

Thanks,
    Ann
    I don't know. I believe I remember them saying they'd done about 40 of them as a team....they actually worked two surgeons on them at that point. I was under for 3 1/2 hrs....
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member SuddenlySlimmerSusan's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Diaz
    Last Activity
    02-05-2016 12:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 54 Times
    Blog Entries

I think exercise is the Key. In terms of boosting your metabolism to a more normal point - so you are not gaining on 1200 calories. I can understand with your child in day care already 10 hours per day why you would resist it. However, I think maybe if you can find some options that you can do with her - perhaps walking with her in a jogging stroller (may not be the most winter friendly option depending on where you live), biking with her in a carrier, etc. Our local YMCA has Mommy and Me swimming classes (maybe not a ton of exercise for the "mommy" but still some). You could also look at getting a recumbent bike or stepper to use at home after she goes to bed. (Craigslist is an excellent option for used equipment.) Also, our YMCA does offer free child care for working out parents - just having 30 minutes to work out may not be too much excess day care. Or maybe working out during your lunch hour. I think you probably need to investigate more your exercise options.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member cbridges1962's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Ata Ahmad
    Last Activity
    02-06-2017 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 180 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,844 Times
    Blog Entries

Sunkiss-Boy can I feel your pain. I am 7 months out and have lost 95 lbs to date. 55 since surgery date. I have been the same for 3 months. I have lost 67% of my excess weight and love it. However, I stopped losing about 3 months ago and am not sure why. I have never stopped exercising and I was eating low carb. Now I do eat more carbs but it's because I got so frustrated on just meat and protein shakes. I wasn't losing anyhow so I added some goodies. I can tell I am an emotional eater, for sure, so I have been working on that. I can eat way more than I think I should be able to eat, which makes me unhappy. I get hungry an hour after I eat, even meat. I will be busy doing something and my stomach will start growling and moaning until I eat. I hate that. I feel like I am also going down that slippery slope again and I'm scared to death.

I decided yesterday to go back to doing what I did preop and see where it goes, but omg it's so hard to get back on track. Not sure why. I pray for you and I hope you do well. Please let me know what helps you and I will do the same.

324** 01.01.13 HIGHEST WEIGHT
    312** 04.01.13 DAY OF PRE-OP
    285**05.08.13 DAY OF SURGERY
    266**06.05.13 MONTH 1
    247**07.08.13 MONTH 2
    239**08.08.13 MONTH 3 TTL LOSS 85
    234**09.08.13 MONTH 4 TTL LOSS 90
    229***10.08.13 MONTH 5 TTL LOSS 95
    231***11.08.13 MONTH 6
    234.5***12.12.13 MONTH 7 (RESTARTING LOW CARB LIFESTYLE)
    ***myfitnesspal.com name: cindy_324_160***

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dirk Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    12-10-2016 09:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Sunkiss, if I were having issues after my Gastric Sleeve and it became apparent that nothing was working, I would DEFINITELY consider getting the malabsorptive portion of Duodenal Switch. (In fact, I heavily considered it before the sleeve). I would consider doing that way before I would get Gastric Bypass (I didn't even know until recently that the latter could be done after a sleeve). The nice thing about the malaborptive portion of DS is that it is reversible (while Gastric Bypass is not). If you ever reach a point where you have lost the weight and feel that the malaborption is causing issues, it can be fully reversed in another surgery.

I get where folks here are coming from about having so many surgeries, but having a two-part DS surgery is not that uncommon. Many who have DS have it in two stages, with the sleeving portion first, and the malaborptive portion later, as part of one planned procedure. So it isn't crazy to think about having the malabsorptive portion later on.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Joya
    Last Activity
    05-16-2016 01:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 79 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Sometimes we don't know what we are really feeling or want until people give us advice to the contrary. Sunkiss your responses above to some advice or insight whether you knew it or not says you want to have the duoden switch. You have made the decision just haven't admitted it to yourself. Did the GI exam show that the sleeve is still small or had it shown it was stretched. I am having issues with hunger and I am only 3 weeks out, came up out of no where and I am wondering if its to do with acid content in my stomach either to much or too little. Talk to your doctor about acid reflux or digestive juices.

Surgery - Lap band removal to sleeve

My Starting Weight - 227lb
    On Date of Surgery - 215lb
    One week post op - 214lb
    Two week post op - 209lb
    Three week post op - 212lb
    One month post op - 210lb
    Two month post op - 204lb
    Three mons post op - 199lb
    Four months post op -
    Five months post op -
    Six months post op -

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Grace and Sunkiss - I really feel for you. When people congratulate me on how well I've done post-sleeve, I frequently say that I give my surgeon the credit. I know I had a fairly small size bougie, and that the surgeon said he does it tight and overglues or something. I think I experience more restriction than other people who describe difficulties on here. To be fair, I'm only 6 months post-goal and so I'm sure there's a possibility things will start slipping back for me. Grace - are you considering a revision given that you can get so much in? Sunkiss, whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it. I would consider being resleeved or a conversion to DS if I was in your shoes too. Yes malabsorption might be an issue with DS, but having already once made the decision to have surgery for weight loss, I know I'd feel like pushing on to find a more permanent solution and deal with the downsides best I could.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

They won't resleeve me, or do anything else because of the hypoglycemia.
    I've been advised to join weight watchers and exercise.
    I've advised them that they can bite me.

Gastric Sleeve Member Blessed2014's Avatar
    Last Activity
    03-29-2014 05:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

My daughter is 14 months post gastric sleeve! N she began too eat some carbs n tolerated n gained a little swift back! So she went back too dong two protein shakes n a full healthy meal daily n added walking n she's loosing now! Increase protein will def bring it off just be careful how long u stay on it! Because u need certain amt of carbs for ur body too survive n too much protein only can cause u problems if done consistently! Increase protein helps u be fuller n not as hungry also! Hope this info helps dear! Good luck n God Bless!

Gastric Sleeve Member ellymae71281's Avatar
    Name
    Elly
    Surgery date
    12/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Baker
    Last Activity
    11-22-2014 10:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Sunkiss ~ I would try the five day sleeve test LONG before I went back in for another surgery.

Working out and a healthy diet are part of the lifetime commitment with the sleeve...This is NOT meant rudely but....If the sleeve didn't work long term for you, why do you think another procedure will? I mean, you too have a commitment and responsibility to keep the weight off...

Good luck in whatever you choose.