Dr. Kaufman
    Last Activity
    05-21-2015 09:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help! I keep cheating!

There are some really yummy Atkins goodies that you could take with you. Before surgery I had to do 5 weeks of Atkins as my pre-op diet and when we would go to friends to play cards, I would take a treat with me for myself. When the chips came out, I had my treat to eat as we'll. they really got me through not feeling deprived. Now, after surgery, I try and surround myself with foods I can eat, so it is easy to make good choices.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Highest Weight: 399 lbs.
    Day of Surgery: 359.2 down 39.8 lbs.
    1 month: 342 down 57 lbs. down 17.2 since surgery
    2 months: 316 down 83 lbs. down 43.2 since surgery down 16 this month
    3 months: 300 down 99 lbs. down 59.2 since surgery down 16 this month

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SleevedRN View Post
    I don't keep junk in my house. The problem is when I am visiting family they always have it. I don't have a problem eating well at home. I don't want to become a hermit and confine myself to this house. Maybe if I always carry healthy enjoyable foods when I leave the house I will be less likely to indulge when I'm out. This is a learning process for me. I'm still figuring things out.
    This is a good idea. I also don't think it's bad at all to allow yourself to enjoy something you like a couple times a week. If you're eating fine all the rest of the time and exercising, it's not going to hurt you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Harish Kakkilayah
    Last Activity
    12-01-2013 01:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi, I have the same problem and I'm getting very discouraged. I have no problems eating anything and it scares me. I can't eat a lot but that doesn't mean I can't eat it. I had a half a slice of pizza today and for breakfast I had a slice of bacon and 1/4 pancake. I only lost about 25 lbs and my surgery was a day before yours. You are doing great because at least you're running. I barely walk. I really need to get motivated and I'm hoping you can be my motivator. I'll be watching! good luck!

Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Jon Schram
    Last Activity
    03-13-2014 07:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 102 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Mine is in Jan. Do you have to do a pre op diet? I have gained a little instead of loosing and am really bumming out over it. I am the worst dieter around.

Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

Luke, who I haven't seen around here much lately, has some great blogs about dealing with this. Look him up and read his blogs. Very helpful. The essence of it is, you dont have to say "no", rather it's more of a "later".

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

You mentioned that you cheated on Thanksgiving. Consider that day and Christmas a pardon!! Life is life and you have to enjoy it......your sleeve will not allow you to go to far with the cheating so enjoy it on those 2 days. Here's the problem that goes along with that and you have to be ready to combat it. Carbs are a devil demon that draw you into to want more. In simple they are addictive and when you clear your system of them you can go on with littlle craving for them. The key is to recognize that the next few days are going to be crave crazy!! Stop eating them now. Give yourself at least 48 hours and see if it gets easier. If it does you know what your problem has been. You have to learn your body and the triggers. For me carbs are a big no no for me. They are a true addiction for me and I have to stay away from them. That doesn't mean you can't have an occasional something but you have to be ready to combat the cravings that will follow. Good luck to you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chu
    Last Activity
    10-14-2014 07:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I know how you feel, I went to my mom and dads for thanksgiving and they had every pie under the sun! I took a bite of my husbands and it satisfied my craving. My family was trying to get me to bring some home but I stayed strong! Go me! We can do this! Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member jennyjenny2's Avatar
    Name
    jennifer
    Surgery date
    11/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Gadaleta
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

Hi sleevedrn..have u told your family yet about your surgery? I know it's a personal decision but having family support is so important during this process! There will always be pressure to eat the wrong foods if no one knows what your going through. .i know how hard it is believe me my family is not easy I just bought a book called the emotional first aid kit for life after bariatric surgery and it's a great resource for getting through all the difficulty we face now! I highly recommend it

Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Ferrari
    Last Activity
    07-05-2023 08:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SleevedRN View Post
    Yes, yes, yes I need to buckle down and just say no. When I go to my moms there are pies, cake, and cookies and everyone just dives in. She tried to have me take some home and I said no way. That stuff needs to stay away from me as far as possible. Sometimes I just wish I lived on an island of healthy foods without ppl constantly trying to get me to take bites of junk. Yes. I just need to tell people no. It gets tough at times. This process is still new and I'm just trying to figure out what I should be consuming but I know carbs are a no no.
    Hold up, when I said "just say no" I wasn't at all trying to imply that saying no is easy or that it was your only option, not to mention that wasn't the only thing I said. You seemed to be really bothered that you had cake and popcorn, I just assumed you were seeking strength, it didn't occur to me that you may have been seeking a little absolution. One piece of cake is definitely not going to kill you, neither is popcorn, nor do I believe it is "cheating" (furthermore, I hate calling it "cheating", it's called being human), and 36 pounds in 40 days is great progress, you should be proud.

You didn't initially mention your circumstances surrounding your visit to your mother's. I think refusing to take anything home is a major step in a positive direction and you should feel good about that. Food-pushers can be tough to deal with, but remember when they get insulted that you don't eat, that is their hang-up, and it's not fair to make you party to it. If you feel you have to take some in order to spare their feelings, take it home and immediately throw it away or give it to an elderly neighbor. I come from a huge family of food-pushers who alternately had a lot to say about my weight. I could never understand how people could directly or indirectly insult me an hour before they shoved desserts and dressings and bread at me, then eye my plate as though their plates were any less filled. Family, in general, can be a bitch.

Don't beat yourself up over a few goodies or expect yourself to never eat empty carbs again. Progress, not perfection (because perfection is a complete myth). You'll be doing this the rest of your life, and slipping up with a sleeve is nothing like slipping up pre-sleeve. As far as not losing, expect that you will have bouts of that, but also expect that you will start losing again, because you will.
    highest pre-surgery (2/2013) 419 lbs
    lowest post-surgery (4/2014) 245 lbs
    highest pst-surg regain (1/2020) 362 lbs

"If you have a tire blow-out, do you get out of the car and slash the other three? No, you change the tire and keep going."

Gastric Sleeve Member SleevedRN's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/22/2013
    Surgeon
    David Kim, MD
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Froo72 View Post
    Hold up, when I said "just say no" I wasn't at all trying to imply that saying no is easy or that it was your only option, not to mention that wasn't the only thing I said. You seemed to be really bothered that you had cake and popcorn, I just assumed you were seeking strength, it didn't occur to me that you may have been seeking a little absolution. One piece of cake is definitely not going to kill you, neither is popcorn, nor do I believe it is "cheating" (furthermore, I hate calling it "cheating", it's called being human), and 36 pounds in 40 days is great progress, you should be proud.

You didn't initially mention your circumstances surrounding your visit to your mother's. I think refusing to take anything home is a major step in a positive direction and you should feel good about that. Food-pushers can be tough to deal with, but remember when they get insulted that you don't eat, that is their hang-up, and it's not fair to make you party to it. If you feel you have to take some in order to spare their feelings, take it home and immediately throw it away or give it to an elderly neighbor. I come from a huge family of food-pushers who alternately had a lot to say about my weight. I could never understand how people could directly or indirectly insult me an hour before they shoved desserts and dressings and bread at me, then eye my plate as though their plates were any less filled. Family, in general, can be a bitch.

Don't beat yourself up over a few goodies or expect yourself to never eat empty carbs again. Progress, not perfection (because perfection is a complete myth). You'll be doing this the rest of your life, and slipping up with a sleeve is nothing like slipping up pre-sleeve. As far as not losing, expect that you will have bouts of that, but also expect that you will start losing again, because you will.
    Thank you for that. I'm concerned because I haven't lost much lately and I'm fighting to hit onederland. It's very frustrating. So if I eat bad things it just makes me feel even worse about not losing much right now, even though I'm not eating much of the bad stuff. I'm going to stick to the program, continue running, and hopefully the scale will move again. I'm frustrated and feel guilty but it'll be ok.

Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Macaroon
    Last Activity
    10-06-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 558 Times

When I eat a carb I eat it with a protein. So of I want crackers it's ok but I eat it with cheese or peanut butter. Half a bagel is with cream cheese. Pasta or rice is with chicken or meat. It cuts way down on the amount of carbs I can eat. Chrisdy

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

My rule is that if I'm going to eat a carb treat, I have protein first, and then that limits how much I can fit in. So, if you're going to go to your Mom's place - have a few slices of lean turkey or ham etc before you leave - or even a protein shake. The protein leaves you feeling fuller longer.

I have never planned to avoid carbs altogether, and I still eat them regularly. But I prioritise protein first.

Also - final thought. Don't use the word cheating. This is a rest of life change, not a fad diet. You're not cheating, you're just a bit out of whack with your food choices at the moment. If you use the word cheating, that word has all sorts of failure connotations which is going to leave you feeling bad about yourself - and negative emotions for most of us triggers more poor eating.

Treat this all as a learning experience. We're not going to get it right all of the time - the restriction gives us the luxury to notice and correct without it all going completely off the rails. I have eaten in ways that are less than ideal, but I am definitely gradually continuing to improve and refine my choices in the direction I want. My eating now is definitely healthier than it was about 2 months ago, because I choose to keep learning - rather than punishing myself for less than ideal habits.

Take care - don't be surprised that you fall back into previous habits, and just remain committed to mindfully noticing and making changes bit by bit.

Gastric Sleeve Member SleevedRN's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/22/2013
    Surgeon
    David Kim, MD
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niamh View Post
    My rule is that if I'm going to eat a carb treat, I have protein first, and then that limits how much I can fit in. So, if you're going to go to your Mom's place - have a few slices of lean turkey or ham etc before you leave - or even a protein shake. The protein leaves you feeling fuller longer.

I have never planned to avoid carbs altogether, and I still eat them regularly. But I prioritise protein first.

Also - final thought. Don't use the word cheating. This is a rest of life change, not a fad diet. You're not cheating, you're just a bit out of whack with your food choices at the moment. If you use the word cheating, that word has all sorts of failure connotations which is going to leave you feeling bad about yourself - and negative emotions for most of us triggers more poor eating.

Treat this all as a learning experience. We're not going to get it right all of the time - the restriction gives us the luxury to notice and correct without it all going completely off the rails. I have eaten in ways that are less than ideal, but I am definitely gradually continuing to improve and refine my choices in the direction I want. My eating now is definitely healthier than it was about 2 months ago, because I choose to keep learning - rather than punishing myself for less than ideal habits.

Take care - don't be surprised that you fall back into previous habits, and just remain committed to mindfully noticing and making changes bit by bit.
    Thank you for the great advice, I got back in to the swing of things today and am doing much better.

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    10-21-2014 10:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I recently got the book The Emotional First+Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery. It seems good tho I'm only about 100pages in. It has some really good ideas for putting how we chose to eat in perspective.

HW-2007 Lap Band - 304
    HW-2013 Sleeve - 284
    SW - 270
    1 mo - 254
    2 mo - 245
    3 mo -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast