Hi fellow batriatric surgery collegues. Its now 3 days, 3 weeks post op (p.o), day 24. For those who are pre op and anxious- there is much material on the web to accompany you along the journey. Like you I had stretched my stomach and dieting efforts were yo yo games. I wish you well in your surgery.

I waited a long time for my surgery- and used the time to try to diet- but Shabbat rich meals, parties, affairs just frustrated my efforts. The I shouldn't though I'm able is now I shouldn't and I can't. its a different ball game. Never got a lot of information from the doctor or the nurses- but I'm independent and have gathered my information from the web and the couple of downloaded ebooks.

For the newly sleeved- I hope that you had a successful surgery. There are many stories out there and reactions are different. Thankfully, I had no real pain- would say it was more discomfort- perhaps like being punched in the stomach or after doing too many sit ups. The low grade pain/discomfort- I'm assuming is from gas that remained from the op. I did not take any pain medication from my recovery room on. Remained in the hospital. First day- didn't feel like eating and there's the IV. I brought an Asus phone pad/phone and tablet to keep me busy and Torah to read. They try to get you up and walking which for me wasn't a problem. I could have walked the 40 minute car drive home- but the pole on rollers with the IV didn't roll well and hampered more than helped. Wish I had brought WD40 some kind of lubricant for the wheels. Personally I like a thick firm spongy rubber pillow and it both made me comfortable for the hospital and cushioned me for the car ride home after the 2nd night in the hospital. By the second day- we were asked to drink water. We weren't given instruction in terms of how and how much- only- as much as you can. I had no problem in downing a mouthful at a time and began having 8-10 cups for the remaining time in the hospital.

Always great and comforting to be home- where we have more control- had not problem walking, doing steps to our 2nd floor bedroom. I had no problem nearly from day 2 to sleep on either side and move from side to side. While- this is quite private- its an apparent concern. I was able to enjoy physical relationship with my spouse the second night home- just not the on top position where the stomach was sensitive.

No sweat either with the all clear liquid diet for the first week and a half and thereafter have had pureed foods. I returned to work as a shooting instructor demonstrating technique and walking back and forth to check and replace targets. My doctor at our week after surgery meeting surprised me by saying that I could both return to weight lifting and also swimming right away. Most of what I read suggested waiting 4-8 weeks after surgery. Only get a chance to work out on days off. Felt great to return to the gym and pool.

Meanwhile have interspersed 10 days working as a guide- my other job passion with no problem walking or hiking.

Harder to maintain the drinking and proper eating on the road. Prior to the operation lunches were fast food- hamburgers, pizza, felafel, schwarma (like a gyro.) Tried to have a protein shake on the run in the morning going to work. Lunch has been either a plain omelette, vegetable, lentil, bean, onion soup, if there's grocery access a 68 calorie 0 % yoghurt, or at an ice cream shop- dietetic, low fat frozen yoghurt (order a small cup and eat a half to 2/3. When these not accessible- I've had a scoop, scoop and a half of tuna salad. Yesterday- I had a 1/4 of a trout. All seems fine. I'm going to start to broaden what I eat.

I've found using a diet/calorie/work out app on my android has kept me aware of the calories taken in and the calories burned. My touring day usually gets me 10-15,000 steps. I try to eat about a 600 calorie diet per day- but- I've gotten closer to 800 a couple of meals. Don't feel tired, do feel lighter, don't feel hungry. Of course, there is some jealousy and desire when I see some of my favorite desserts- brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cheese cake ice cream- but- I'm strong- so far and hope that it will continue.

Don't have a support group. I read about what's available on the web and downloaded some ebooks on the topic.

My pre-op weight was 104.5 kilogram. This morning I'm 91.2 kg. A drop of 13.3 kg/i.e.- 29.26 pounds. I've dropped from a size 42 inch waist and now where an almost slightly slightly loose 38 inch waist pants. So far so good. Pray for continued will power, strength and success to all of us.

Shalom from Israel.
Avi
Feel free to write and ask me questions.