Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Daily Log

Hey Dy. I went back to work today I'm pooped. Just got home and am ready to take a nap. I did lost 23 pounds........I don't care about that I only care about my BP which like you said hopefully will come down by my next appointment. I got my medical bracelet today - weird to wear it but in case I should get into an accident at least I have something telling them not to shove anything down my throat lmao lol

Sometimes its the quiet weekends that work the best Dy. Not having every minute taken up with stuff to do can be just the what ya need.

I'm still trying to figure out the 'full' signs the only thing I seem to come up with is a slight belch - how bout you? How do you know you're full???

Every journey begins with one small step....

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    07-23-2016 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Stacy, at this point (four months out) you just know, we are full like we were full before the surgery. I'm pretty sure what you are experiencing is common as I've read several posts complaining about not understanding the full feeling, I believe I even started one...the problem for me was that no two foods were alike, I may feel full after just one tablespoon with one food but it would only take a teaspoon with another. I went out and purchased baby spoons, took one spoon sat back and waited, if my tummy and my mind said more after about five minutes I would take in another spoon, I did that for several weeks in the beginning, now I can just eyeball what will fill me up. It is frustrating but I used it as a time to realize what a normal serving size for myself looked like. I'm up to about 1/4 cup of food at any one time right now depending on the food. It gets better as you heal, the great thing is that as you are healing your brain is processing the amount of food it takes to make you uncomfortable, before you know it you will simply take smaller bites, smaller spoon fulls, smaller portions automatically...it's pretty cool how it works itself out!

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Dy I worry that I will stretch it..... I will begin to measure and invest in a baby spoon. It's funny how you spend months reading and learning and in the end are still the student. I made a wonderful 12 bean soup yesterday. Full of protein and much better than I'd expected. I' of course ate to much today and felt like garbage. Psychologically it's difficult for me to 'taste,' something and not put another spoonful in my mouth lol. Bad bad habit.
    Gosh I feel like I'm in confession lmao. But at the same time I trust your experience so it's easy for me to gab with you

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

My fellow Catholic? Confession....lol.

Don't feel bad about how you are eating, you are not going to stretch your stomach at this point, it is far too inflamed to allow you to eat that much, you are actually eating far less than you think you are. Just concentrate on getting in the water and protein, all the other stuff at the point you are at is icing on the cake. Take my word for it, there is no way possible for you to over eat yet, unless of course you sit and just eat a full plate of food which you won't because you can't. Your body will rebel when you overdo it...I threw up quite a bit in the beginning and that was only on one tablespoon of food. In about a month you can start worrying about stretching...right now just sit back and enjoy the weight loss and improved health

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson View Post
    My fellow Catholic? Confession....lol.

Don't feel bad about how you are eating, you are not going to stretch your stomach at this point, it is far too inflamed to allow you to eat that much, you are actually eating far less than you think you are. Just concentrate on getting in the water and protein, all the other stuff at the point you are at is icing on the cake. Take my word for it, there is no way possible for you to over eat yet, unless of course you sit and just eat a full plate of food which you won't because you can't. Your body will rebel when you overdo it...I threw up quite a bit in the beginning and that was only on one tablespoon of food. In about a month you can start worrying about stretching...right now just sit back and enjoy the weight loss and improved health
    Honestly I'm drinking about 66 ounces of water and getting 72 grams of protein so that's pretty good. ( I need the water simply to ward off kidney stones!)
    Ok Dy thanks again for calming the waters for me you are wise!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

February 25, 2014

Good morning all, still no scale, well that is not true, I've been on the scale I'm just not posting my weight.

Slept like a baby last night, I've had a couple of nights like this, FINALLY, I do hope this continues, sleep has been difficult since the surgery.

I've been watching YouTube videos this morning, several say I should not be using Whey protein as it does not digest well with the sleeve, causes dumping and will make some gain...I am going to start a vine to see what others think.

Not much to report this moring, pretty boring in my corner of the world, it is bitterly cold again, but at least it is not negative out!

I've added desk pushups to my day, already done 15! I do them in the conference room upstairs, oh, and I've also added the no using the restroom on my floor rule forcing me to use the stairs.

Exercise:

HIIT

Bike: 245 calories/ 7.01 miles/ Resistance 13/ 30 minutes

Treadmill: 182 calories/ 2.0 miles/ 3.0 - 4.6 mph/ 35:11 minutes

Ran .75 miles

I will increase my mileage by 1/4 mile increments.

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

February 26, 2014

Good mornig sleevers! Another snowy day here in UpState NY! I'm really getting sick of this. Jumped on the scale this morning and I have to say the running is paying off, now if I can only keep it going. I am wearing rings and bracelets that i coul dnot get on a month ago this morning, feels great to care abut how I look again.

Had a terrible evening with reflux...OMG it was just terrible, I am still using my BiPaP machine and the rerflux was so bad that I fell asleep and woke up choking on acid in my throat, the only way to clear it was to toss my cookies, it cam up as foam, yes people, FOAM. I coughed for about 10 full minutes each cough bringing with it the burn of stomach acid in the back of my throat. I will be contacting the surgeon this monring to see if I can double my Nexum.

More later! I hope everybody has a wonderful day!

Gastric Sleeve Member Pink Angel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curtis Peery
    Last Activity
    06-01-2014 07:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I have enjoyed reading your post!! I had my surgery on 2/20/14. This forum has been a great help for me. I had a freak out moment on day 5 post op, where I was thinking what did I do to myself. I promptly got on here to start a thread about it and felt so much better. It is amazing how each day you feel better!! I am lucky I have a local friend who had lap band surgery, not the same I know but we are able to commiserate and exercise together.

I don't have an overly strenuous job but I am nervous about going back, partly due to energy to complete the day. I also for insurance purposes had to drive to a hospital 350 miles away for my surgery and again next week for my post op appointment. Thank goodness I can do the rest of my follow up with the local surgeon who was going to do the surgery until I found out I had to go to a Bariatric center of excellence in order for my insurance to cover it. I am in South Dakota so it was either go to the other side of the state, Denver or Minneapolis. Across the state was the quickest option.

Thanks for letting me post. Have a great day!!

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

March 4, 2014

So sorry I've been MIA! I've been so busy, between work, kids, physician appointments, working out, stressing over food, I've found little time to come here and just chat.

Okay, time to come clean with my weight. I hit a low of 271 back in January, I am now and have been since the beginning of January 273...no increases, no decreases. I'm not concerned at all, this is a real stall, I know how the body works and am not stressing over it, the scale will move. I have moved down in sizes drastically, though that has stalled for the past month or so as well, but Iknow my body is very confused with all of this exercise and drastic reduction in energy intake. Patience will win this war.

I am only bringing up the weight thing because I've avoided typing it for so long, not because I'm in anyway upset, but because I don't want to seem as if I am. I hope that makes sense. I continue to exercise, have not changed the amount/nor the frequency with which I eat and so I know in the long run it will all work itself out.

My sister, who had the same surgery one week after I did, IM'd me yesterday to ask if I knew of a way to break a stall, I told her time. That she has to be patient, her body will release more weight when it is good and ready, not a second before, regardless of what she does. That the more she stresses her body by changing what she is doing the longer the stall will last. I told her to continue doing exactly what you were doing when the stall began, make sure you will be able to continue repeating the same pattern for at least one week after the stall is broken before you change anything! Give your body a chance to readjust, don't fight it. She argued with me of course, it goes counter to our nature to just sit back when we are not accomplishing the goals we have set for ourselves, especially when it comes to weight loss...however, this is a given. Listen to your body, let it heal, let it adjust, let it become comfortable with the new reality, only then will our bodies relax and allow us to go forward.

With that I am clear...lol.

Gym later today than usual as I have several meetings this morning...

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

March 5, 2014

Short post, I'm off to the gym right now...will post more when I get back

Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bollo
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

March 10, 2014

Today starts the 800 caloried a day diet...I'm not looking forward to it. I promised myself that after this surgery I would no longer be a slave to food, that food would not consume me, which is how I got fat in the beginning. I am only doing this because my physician has asked me to. He has not limited what I can eat, variety is the spice of life, his only request is that I stay at or below 800 calories for the next month. What does this mean that I HATE DOING

Counting calories
    Making up menus for the day

I HATE, HATE, HATE anything and everything that has to do with looking up a food, posting a food, counting a number! HATE IT. I am not entering this with a good attitude, let's see how long it will last.

The other problem I have with this is that I exercise quite regularly, will 800 calories allow me to continue my workouts...believe me when I say the calories will go up before I stop exercising!

Okay, now that I've vented, this is what I have for the workday

Green shake 227 calories
    - 2 cups kale
    -1/2 cup rasp (2.0 oz)
    - 1/2 cup blueberries (2.2 oz)
    - 1/2 cup strawberries (2.5 oz)
    - 1/2 cup manog (2.3 oz)
    - 1 cup spinach
    - 1 stalk celery
    - 1/2 banana

Asparagus 14 calories
    - 4 spears (Central Market Classics)

King Crab 82 calories
    - 3 oz

Shrimp 50 calories
    - 3 oz

Shredded Cabbage with Yogurt dressing
    90 calories
    - 3 oz of shredded cabbage (from bag)
    - 2 tablespoons yogurt ranch dressing

463 calories, I will plug all of this into myfitness pal today with my exercise to see where I wind up. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS AT ALL.

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey doll. I know your not happy about the 800 but once you wrap your head around it you'll be good to go. Be patient with yourself and all will be well.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    06/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Manuel Castro
    Last Activity
    10-11-2017 07:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,137 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello ladies. How are you? I've been absent from the boards for a bit and thought I'd stop in and say hello. Dyson, you strike me as being a lady who likes a good challenge. I would take this next step as just that...a challenge. Show your dr that you can pass this test with flying colors. Not to mention, maybe it will shake things up just enough to freak your body out in a good way!

Stacy, how are you doing? How's the BP?

I'm plugging away. Really don't have a lot to report. Still a ways off from surgery, so just trying to soak it all in. My insurance will cover a good portion of the surgery, but trying to save for my portion is proving interesting. "Life" moments continue to rear their ugly head and sometimes I get the feeling that the house, car, etc know there's a little "extra" and they're plotting against me! LOL I know this really isn't how it is, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Need some advise...

The President and COO of our company announced his retirement and will be leaving us by the end of October, maybe sooner, if everything is in order. It was brought to my attention by a co-worker and someone that he trusts with information that upon his departure he is planning on giving the ladies of the office that have endured his constant need for "stuff" a "bonus" of sorts. He told her this because he was going to ask that SHE hand them out after his departure. Apparently when he mentioned it, he also said that if she knew of anyone who could use it sooner to let him know. Well....she immediately thought of me and my upcoming surgery and approached me about it. Honestly, I was at a loss for words. I consider what I do/have done for him my job and never expected anything but my paycheck. It almost made me uncomfortable to even know about it in advance. However...that "bonus" apparently would nearly pay for my surgeon's portion which is due prior to surgery. I'm at a loss. I don't want to say "yes, I need it now", yet it would be a huge stress reliever if I knew that the money was there. And then I think...what better "bonus" than giving me my life back? I told my co-worker that I would consider it, but I honestly don't even know how to approach the idea.

Any thoughts?

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

So Dy here we are - I take it your lack of writing is either you are soooooooooo overworked or you hit the lottery and moved to Europe. I just wanted to check in with you to say hi and tell ya I miss you.