Surgery date
    10/16/2013
    Last Activity
    07-14-2014 08:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 1 month post op

Hi everyone- I am 1 month post op and was wondering if I am on track and how others feel/felt at this point. I have my 1 month follow up Thursday and don't feel like I could make it through a full day at work. I spoke with the nurse and the surgeons office yesterday and they said exhaustion is normal - having found that out I still said that it doesn't feel normal but okay. I also am having a hard time exercising because of the exhaustion and getting in my protein and water - I feel like I'm sleeping quite a bit and so get behind on shakes and water - so I was told to try to get in more - again very helpful. I'm back to doing protein shakes twice a day because I can't seem to tolerate the advanced diet with meat ground up. I am really trying to take in the amounts I'm supposed to and taking my vitamins- any helpful tips or info would be great. I'm down almost 30 pounds so I'm losing but I need everything to get in line

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Forestgalice's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lynette
    Surgery date
    10/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmad
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 11:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 month post op

You are same as I feel. need to work on tracking protein and getting enough in. I wonder if that is cause of fatigue?

Name
    Kate
    Surgery date
    07/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jones
    Last Activity
    08-28-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 70 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

At 1 month I was still taking naps daily and not eating much. I was off work for the summer still and I probably stayed feeling more awake at 6 weeks.

Name
    Maia
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randall Baker
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,758 Times
    Blog Entries

I too was very tired, it took 4-6 weeks for the exhaustion to subside. My surgeon told me that it takes 6-8 weeks for your stomach to heal from the trauma and that your body takes all of your energy to heal leaving you wiped out. In the beginning it is so hard to get in all the liquid and protien and my surgeon was honest and said very few people are able to get it all in to just do the best I could. At almost 8 months out I still have a premiere protein shake a day to make sure I am getting it all in.

Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

I went back to work at 1 week, but probably could have used two.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TDEHERRERA's Avatar
    Name
    TONY
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    DAVID PODKAMENI
    Last Activity
    03-07-2016 01:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,088 Times

everybody recover's at different rate's so try not to think to yourself ( is this where i'm supposed to be ).but you know your body better than anybody so if something doesn't feel right then call and tell your doctor right away!!!! but i will tell you this,protein will help your incisions heal and the quicker they heal,the quicker the pain will subside.i know it's easy for someone to say ( you need to drink 3 to 4 shakes a day ) especially when it hurt's to drink but,if you take a sip every five minutes even though it might take all day, i promise you that you will get all your shakes done for the day.i can't stress how important protein shakes are ( believe me i was not a big fan ).
    it's been just over 1 month and one week since my surgery and i have lost just over 30 lbs also,but i'm still having problem's with certain food's some food's still hurt really bad when i eat them so i'm not able to eat all the food (calories ) that i'm supposed to. last week i only lost 2 lbs, and i ride a bike 2 miles a day.so i'm in the same boat with ya when it come's to pain and eating!!!!!!!maybe we can keep in touch and help each other through this,i have made so many awesome friend's on this site and i'm sure they are going to read this response and they also will reach out with support. i wish your pain all gone and i wish you all the best.
    tony.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ecarasick83's Avatar
    Name
    Liz
    Surgery date
    03/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings!

You went back to work early it sounds like. I went back to work after 4 weeks. I don't remember being that tired. Everybody is different though and everyone has different healing times so maybe you're alright as far as that goes. That just doesn't sound right in my opinion though.

Anyway, make sure you take your vitamins. Add b12 if you aren't already taking it because that will give you energy. As far as protein shakes and water, I remember not being able to get in the 64 grams of protein the surgeon wanted me to have. It was just too much for me at the time.

Just take things slow. Start from the beginning with the two protein shakes and work your way up. I didn't have meat until I was like 2 months down the line. I was able to tolerate egg whites and yogurt. Try things that are lighter than meat.

Lastly, if you are getting behind your eating schedule, set a reminder like an alarm to keep you on track.

Good luck. :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/16/2013
    Last Activity
    07-14-2014 08:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks very much I would love to keep in touch and have support you were sleeved 2 days before me ! and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tired- thanks to everyone who responded and reminding me to just stay on track and it was the best thing I've done

Gastric Sleeve Member Forestgalice's Avatar
    Name
    Lynette
    Surgery date
    10/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmad
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 11:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

support and hearing from other is so critical, esp. when we ask ourselves, is this right. and it's not always during doctor's hours! ha ha