Dr. Jerome Schrapps
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 10:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default "You will never be a normal weight."

These were the words of the dietitian I met for the first time yesterday. She asked about my goals. I gave her a realistic 150. She pretty much told me that nobody ever gets under 175 and that I'll never be anything less than overweight, maybe even obese.

Gee. Way to rain on my positivity parade.

I know it's possible I may never make it down to the slimmer side of things... But why not? Why is it physically impossible for me to be a healthy weight? It's not necessarily the number I'm focused on. Just the thought of being "normal" and healthy. Why can't I work really hard, exercise, and eat properly and reach my goal? Honestly, I'd be partying if I ever get below 200!

I see so many of you here have. So many of you have reached your goals, or are really close. You all look great and have done an awesome job. I feel like none of us deserve to be told we'll never be a healthy weight and we're aiming too high to hope for such.

Perhaps she was just preparing me for the worst case scenario. Perhaps she just sees me as a failure. I don't know. Now I'm just determined to prove her wrong! I think I can do it. I'm very confident that I can. I don't see how it's good for business telling people they'll always be overweight even with the right changes in their lifestyle. Ugh. Maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way. Now I just feel extra motivated to prove her wrong and shove my healthy self in her face next year. HMPH!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: "You will never be a normal weight."

For some reason they seem to talk "averages," my surgeon said with the sleeve people lose 60 to 70% of their excess weight in a year. So I guess that means some lose less, some more. I know we can lose all our weight! Let's be above average!

Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

My PCP stated 60 percent of my excess weight. My surgeon did not discuss it with me. However, I am thinking positive and moving forward!

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

Excuse me, but that was a rude thing for her to say! I hope you do show her wrong! I wish you lived near me because we'd exercise together and work like crazy as a team! My nutritionist asked me what I thought I could lose. I told her I'd be happy with 250 and ecstatic if I ever made it to 200. Then she asked what about 150? I told her I never saw myself weighing that, but who knows. I just know that I'm giving it everything I've got and whatever happens will happen. Like I said, I don't expect miracles, but I do expect to work hard. Keep your chin up and keep in touch. I am wishing you the very best!!!

Name
    Orsola Lopez
    Surgery date
    10/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-24-2014 06:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times
    Blog Entries

OMG really wel i am sorry but I have read and seen pple in here that have lost alot of weight ppl who were more than 300 lbs go to 140 and less so tell her to shove it.....i am sorry hate when someone tries to rain in your parade....damn no bed manners what so ever..boooo to her....prove her wrong darling most of us in here do anyway hehehehhe....here for ya!!!!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Stay focused and stay positive! I am determined not to let anyone steal my joy. Just the thoughts of having this surgery and the positive things that it will do FOR my life makes me hopeful for the future. Keep your eyes on the prize, you will do just fine!

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

They have to set you up for a "realistic" goal. Prove them wrong. Good luck I look forward to doing the same.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    01/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jerome Schrapps
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 10:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the positive responses! There's a difference between helping someone pick a realistic goal and telling someone flat out they will fail and never achieve what they hope to. Perhaps she should have discussed the average percentages with me rather than tell me I wouldn't make it. I'm going to make it

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    12/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    01-16-2015 06:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

From my very first appt. with a dietitian to now....I have lost 80% of my intended weight-loss - and I am still losing.. I am 68 years old but I workout like a 40 year old. That first dietitian said I couldn't do it and to settle for being over-weight ("after all, it is age appropriate"). I went to another bariatric surgeon who had a supportive staff. They didn't give me an end number and said I could decide where to go. They just told me that their average was 80%. So now, I am on a mission to be the oldest 100% loser in their practice and they are cheering me on. Walk your own path...and consider that some people take their crummy lives out on others.

Gastric Sleeve Member sunnygirl_28734's Avatar
    Name
    Brenda, but everyone calls me Sunny!
    Surgery date
    11/15/2013
    Surgeon
    James Kasper
    Last Activity
    03-01-2014 08:27 AM
    Western Massachusetts, but native North Carolinian, waiting to retire and go home to my mountains!
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 114 Times
    Blog Entries

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would report her comments to her supervisor, or your surgeon. How dare she? Most of us have had low self esteem and have felt like failures because we have struggled with weight issues all our lives...and then for someone who is supposed to be a profession say those words to you? Unbelievable. You are taking the steps...the POSITIVE STEPS...towards a healthier lifestyle. It 's not an easy choice, or a cop out....it is a life saving procedure to help us achieve the goals because all other attempts didn't work. Shame on her, I'm sure she's never been overweight. Sometimes it takes walking a mile in another's shoes, but to be a dietician and tell someone that. Okay, I need to stop now, I'm getting madder by the minute! lol You WILL succeed, you WILL accomplish your goals..... WE WILL!!!!

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't get why someone would say that. My surgeon never discussed a goal weight with me - my goals were to make permanent changes to my lifestyle through having the surgery which would result in weight loss. I had a goal in mind based on my younger adulthood, but my surgeon was just all about doing a good job with the surgery, and me doing my bit to adjust my eating and exercise, and then monitoring how it was going along the way. The goal weight took care of itself, and now I'm under goal weight by 11lb! The last time I saw my surgeon he said "I think you could stop now, you don't look like you need to lose any more" and started discussing with me about ways to up my calorie density if the weight loss didn't stop. My BMI is now 23.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a college professor tell the class on the first day that nobody ever got an A in his class and neither would we. I remember feeling shocked. I asked him if he felt he was a competent instructor. He looked shocked and replied that he was. So I told him that if I couldn't get an A, he must not do his job very well. Thanked him for the warning, lol! You can achieve your goal, absolutely you can. This dietician is a dream stealer. Please consider getting a new one. Shoot for the stars! You may reach the universe!

Name
    Heather Rhyne
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Greg Mancini
    Last Activity
    09-22-2015 05:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I think some people do not agree with this surgery. This lady may be one such person.
    If you are determined enough you will do it.
    I have lost 72 pounds in just over 4 months it has slowed down and I am looking at changing what I am doing so I can continue to lose weight. I am 175 pounds . People get to less than this if they work at it.
    Don't let this one woman put you off it has been a real life saver for me I was really big at 247 and miserable with it,
    I feel 100% better in myself. No diabetes and I can fit into normal clothes..that is worth everything to me. There are always negative people out there so stick with us sunny ones on this site!
    All the best Hev

Name
    Missy
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schram
    Last Activity
    04-26-2014 08:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,467 Times
    Blog Entries

How RUDE! Cannot believe someone with a degree in nutrition and health would even say that to a patient. It is a surgery for weight loss, and although there are no guarantees of the amount, she , above all people should be telling you you can drop as much as your goal and I will help yoU, smh. I dont know if you would like to report her, or better yet walk into the office at your goal weight or better and ask-do you remember me? Oh I am 150 now and you said I wouldn't get any lower than 175? See ya!!
    Blessings
    Missy

Gastric Sleeve Member kimwanalivelife's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    11/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ellias Ortiz I
    Last Activity
    02-24-2020 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Thumbs up Re: "You will never be a normal weight."

Quote Originally Posted by OAM View Post
    I had a college professor tell the class on the first day that nobody ever got an A in his class and neither would we. I remember feeling shocked. I asked him if he felt he was a competent instructor. He looked shocked and replied that he was. So I told him that if I couldn't get an A, he must not do his job very well. Thanked him for the warning, lol! You can achieve your goal, absolutely you can. This dietician is a dream stealer. Please consider getting a new one. Shoot for the stars! You may reach the universe!
    love! Love! Love! It!