Surgeon
    Dra. Louisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    01-30-2014 11:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Hi!

Hi! I'm Jenny. I just scheduled my surgery with Dra. Louisiana Valenzuela of Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana for November 21. I decided to have weight loss surgery back in August. I weighed 295 pounds at that point and decided that it was definitely time for a change. My main motivation was the amount of pain I was in. It seems like every time I do any major physical activity I pay for it the next day, sometimes for several days. Originally, I was going to go through a local surgeon. The price tag of $20,000 for a gastric sleeve was really going to be difficult to cover and I laid awake at night wondering how on earth I was going to make it happen. I decided to go ahead and have a consultation anyway, and I learned a lot about the surgeries, and I also had a visit with a nutritionist and a psychologist, which were both very informative. I have been following the guidelines that they gave me, almost pretending that I had already had the surgery, and I have managed to lose about 15 pounds on my own so far. I have been stuck in the low 280s for a while, though, and I decided that it would definitely help me to have the tool of a smaller stomach. It almost seems like it was meant to be as far as deciding to go to Mexico for my surgery. I was actually at the dentist having my teeth cleaned, and my hygienist actually had a stomachache and another assistant came in to finish me up. I don't remember how it came up, but I mentioned that I was planning to have weight loss surgery. She confided to me that she had had it done too, and that she had a great experience in Mexico, as have some of her friends, and that it cost about $5000. That was definitely interesting to me, seeing as how I could save about $15,000. I looked into it, and after a lot of research, I decided to have my surgery done by Dr. Valenzuela. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about her and I am very excited to get down there.

A little more about me and my weight history. I have never been extremely thin. I was around a size 11/12 in high school, and then gained some weight in college. I was about a 13/14 when I was about 20, and by the time I was 22, I was in a size 20. 13 years, 2 babies, and several weight fluctuations later, I topped out at 295 pounds and size 26.

My goal weight is 160 pounds. I do not wish to be stick thin, but rather healthy and able to live my life fully and actively without pain. Having carried my weight around for so long, my bones and muscles are more dense, so I will always look lighter than I actually am because of it (same for anyone who has been overweight for a long period of time).

Anyway, I am now less than 3 weeks away from my surgery and am counting down the days. Best of luck to all of us!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi!

Welcome to the group! I am also having the surgery for medical reasons and the constant pain I'm in. I'm having mine on the 20th. Do they require you to be on a liquid diet pre-op? Congratulations on the weight you've lost thus far. Keep in touch and best of luck as you embark on this wonderful, new journey!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member twilightstar's Avatar
    Name
    Jenny
    Surgery date
    11/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dra. Louisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    01-30-2014 11:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

I will be on mostly liquids for 2 weeks prior (1 small meal) and all liquids for 3 days prior. Best of luck to you as well! We can do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kazoogirl's Avatar
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    11-28-2014 01:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I had mine done in TJ 5 mos. ago and am packing again to go down next Saturday for my hubby's surgery. We went with Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC and the whole TJ experience was wonderful. I am 1000% happy with my decision and can't wait till my hubby is happier and healthier too. I am down 81 lbs. total and have about 45 more to go.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ThisIs4Me's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Ernest Rehnke
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 214 Times in 211 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,012 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, this is a wonderful site! Good luck 2 u

Im 6'2"...any questions? Lol

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum and congrats on taking the first step to a new healthier you!! I had my surgery January 12, 2013 in Tijuana with
    Dr. Sergio Quinones and I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made for myself. Dr. Quinones and staff made my experience in Tijuana amazing.

Good luck,

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

Welcome! Good luck with everything!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 08:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Awesome, hope your husbands surgery went well too, keep up the great work, your 45 will be off before you know it!

QUOTE=Kazoogirl;367352]Welcome! I had mine done in TJ 5 mos. ago and am packing again to go down next Saturday for my hubby's surgery. We went with Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC and the whole TJ experience was wonderful. I am 1000% happy with my decision and can't wait till my hubby is happier and healthier too. I am down 81 lbs. total and have about 45 more to go.[/QUOTE]
    Surgery day weight 9/26/12 187lbs, 10/26 167lbs 18" lost, 11/26 160 lbs 24" lost, 12/26 151 35" gone, 1/26/13 145.6lbs 41.5" lost, 2/26 140 lbs. 6.5" lost, reached goal weight 10 months out , 66 lbs and 62 total inches gone!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods