Surgeon
    Peeter Soosar
    Last Activity
    01-25-2014 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Default Been discouraged

Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in a while. I got a little discouraged when BCBSNC changted from 3 months to 6 months. I have two regular Doc appt's left and then the surgeon. Still a little ways to go. Also fretting over all the Doctor bills that have rolled in with all the appt's I had to do. My Wife is mad about it and I've caught some heat for being the way I am. Many of you know what I'm talking about. I've also gained some of the weight back I intitially lost. Trying to get back on track. Also have my house on the market to downsize and pay all these bills. I'm determined to see the process through and hopefully have my surgery in Feb. 2014. Good luck to all of you. Steve

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Been discouraged

Hi Steve,

Glad you are back. Keep us posted on when you will be sleeved!

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Name
    Erin
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chengelis
    Last Activity
    10-08-2018 11:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 108 Times in 106 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve,

I hope everything works out for you. I too have BCBS and unfortunately my employer decided to go with a less expensive version, which will up my out of pocket costs for the surgery. I am also going through a slew of tests some of which were unexpected and not covered, so feeling a financial pinch too. But like you, I'm determined to see this through, no matter the cost. Have to admit, I've toyed with the idea of going to Mexico to have it done - just from an expense stand point, it would probably be alittle cheaper. Still crunching numbers on that.

good luck...hang in there.

10/21/13 - My Journey Starts - 341
    3/17/14 - My Birth/Re-birth Day -313
    3/23/14 - discharge day - 331
    3/27/14 - 1st post op visit - 319
    4/7/14 - 3 weeks out - 298
    5/2/14 - 6 weeks out - 287
    6/17/14 - 3 Months -

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve, glad you keep plugging away at it! Don't give up at this, YOU are worth way more! I just got back from Mexico and had a surgeon I would honestly trust with my child, so if you consider that route...

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    10-26-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times

Good luck Steve - my BCBS wouldn't cover it at all so I also went with the Mexican connection! I am thrilled and doing great on post op day 10. I hope you can work it all out. My girlfriend who is having the surgery here also has BCBS and she said by the time she pays her co-pays and the uncovered portions of her sleeve - it could actually be more out of pocket than my surgery was! Not to mention without the endless testing and hassle of the wait. Stay positive and stay in touch! I have learned so much and have had so many questions answered on this forum - it really is a great group of people!
    Start of pre-op diet - 247
    Day of Surgery - 235
    One week post surgery - 229
    One month post surgery - 217
    6 months post surgery - 190

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Steve, welcome back! I am sorry to hear you have had so much flack trying to get your surgery. I know what you mean when you say that you wife has gotten mad at you for the way that you are, I went through that with my spouse, probably just in a different way...he didn't think that I really needed the surgery. Just remember that it is hard for anyone that hasn't gone through this to fully understand your struggles, feelings and inner most thought process. I don't know your financial situation, but I know that it is a battle that most couples face, regardless of economic status. I think that sometimes we forget that even though we are the ones having this surgery, inevitably our spouse are affected, and are at least in part, along for the ride as well. I don't know you, your wife, or what kind of bond that you guys have together, but if I could pass once piece of advice along, it would be this. This is for your heath and your happiness, and you are worth whatever it takes to get you there. That being said, I noticed in my journey that there were times were I became very selfish in my relationship, as I began to feel better about myself, I sometimes forgot to think about the person, that even though he loved me when I felt at most lowest, even though he never thought that I never needed the surgery, still worked hard to make sure I got the surgery that I felt I needed. Just realize that you deserve to be happy, but don't forget to appreciate the ones that sacrificed to make it possible, even when they are unreasonable, insensitive, or even hard on you. I wish you the very best luck on your surgery, and I can't wait to see you on the losers bench!

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Stay strong and I am rooting for you. I am getting my sleeve done in Mexico because of all the hassle and wait times in Canada. They are making it very easy for me to get it done and that has helped with the whole process.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndy-loo View Post
    Stay strong and I am rooting for you. I am getting my sleeve done in Mexico because of all the hassle and wait times in Canada. They are making it very easy for me to get it done and that has helped with the whole process.
    Amen Cindy, ya know a lot of people knock MX, or the people that choose to have surgery there, but I was treated awesome down there, and received an A++++ surgeon. I suppose that I have a difference in opinion because I understand business, and why the surgeries are so much cheaper down there vs. here in the states, but I say way to go to anyone that does this for themselves, regardless of where they had it done. The Santa Fe Medical Group did a unbelievable job on my surgery for the price that I paid, but I realize that not everyone is comfortable having surgery in another country...to each their own. But I am living proof that WLS in MX can be just as successful, without all the red tape and high price tags of the states. I thank God for all the surgeons out there that help people to lose weight with a surgical option, they are truly amazing people.

Gastric Sleeve Member luvthoztitans's Avatar
    Name
    Kelly P
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Bono
    Last Activity
    04-15-2014 09:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad you decided to come back and get on track again! I'm sure it's stressful with the bills piling up. I'm the same way. I don't even know how I'm going to pay for my surgery. The insurance company will cover most of it but I have a nice copay I'm responsible for. But I'm trying not to let that stop me from moving forward. When the time comes to pay for it, I'll worry about it then. But right now our health is the most important thing. Stress is not good, so try to remember that what you are doing is for you and if your spouse can't see that, then you have everyone here to support you! Try to stay positive and keep on going!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member paradoxgal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    05-10-2019 12:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

All of the expenses and time - I knew I'd be in it way more so I checked out Mexico... then last month when I got final word that even though I have Cigna, and they usually cover WLS, our particular plan doesn't even cover it... ! Needless to say, I went to Mx. Just last week. Don't discount it, but I get it if you don't want to. It's a big deal. I had a great experience (but I've really yet to read one persons story out there that had a bad experience). Those surgeons down there do so many a day, in the end I think they had more surgeries racked up than the surgeons local to me.
    It's just so nice to have it all behind me. I saved up, and got a great deal on a direct flight to San Diego, and it's just done. I hope that you keep this an option if you feel like you may end up spending more out of pocket in the long run - including medications and Dr visits in the meantime. After surgery people typically are off their meds and feeling so much better within weeks or months. I hope you see it through. My husband drug his feet, but once I went to him with facts and figures, other peoples great experiences, and finally that this was my choice and that I hoped that he knew my desperation, embarassment, and that I needed his love and support. He climbed board and he has actually handled it ok. I still cook dinners and meals this first week being home, still run to the store, still do lots of things I was doing last week. It's got its challenges, and when I feel like husband is not wanting to hear me complain about nausea, or having it be hard to deal with incisions, hunting down neosporin, or wanting cookies... I get to come here!!!! It's like a family!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I forgot to mention that the dr in Mexico has already written me a letter stating it is a medical surgery and not a cosmetic one. In Canada I submit that letter and the bill for the surgery and then deduct the total cost off my income tax - so it is returned to me. Cool Eh!

Name
    Shalon
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Garcia
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 11:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

While you're bemoaning BCBS Think About this. I had to go through the entire pre-screening process six times before I finally gave up and let someone put the 20% my other insurance wouldn't cover. be glad you don't have medicaid. my surgeons here actually praise the ease with which BCBS lets patients get WLS... MA however... They hate.