Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Reynoso
    Said "Thanks" 297 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I was just reading about a celebrity who got the sleeve-why so many haters?

It's a guy I really enjoy watching on one of my favorite shows. Why are there so many haters? The comments below the article- asking why don't fat people stop stuffing their faces instead of resorting to this surgery? It just makes me so sad. I feel like I will never be able to hold my head high- unless I don't tell about the surgery (and then feel guilt). Because even with the surgery- you still have to do the work- you just have something in place to help you. About 6 weeks ago, an acquaintance of mine posted this cartoon onto Facebook with this obese woman sitting in a recliner with a TV tray and with a Big Gulp, a Big Mac and fries, and a cigarette and a remote in her hand with an empty word bubble above her head, and this acquaintance asked everyone to fill in the word bubble. And this acquaintance is a health nut and a yoga master- her and her friends are just saying the most horrible things to put in this word bubble and it just made me sick. I thought, wow, thin people really must hate me! Now if I go get the surgery and get healthy- they will say I took the unhealthy way out- or the easy way out. I know I'm a grown up and not supposed to care what others think, right? It just sucks sometimes, though. Ugh!

Surgery Weight: 287

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member SarahBear's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. McKinlay
    Last Activity
    02-14-2015 11:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I was just reading about a celebrity who got the sleeve-why so many haters?

Some people just suck! That's it. Don't feel ashamed because of what they say. You did not take an easy way out.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Joanne
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    12-17-2016 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I was just reading about a celebrity who got the sleeve-why so many haters?

Don't let it get to you! People that have never had a weight issue and even some that had, either don't know or have forgotten what it's like. It's easy to critize and make fun but these are small minded people, with bully like tendancys. I would hide the post and forget about it. We never have to justify our decision to any one else! We know this was a major decision made with research, lot's of thought and a conclusion that it is the best solution for us. Hold your head up high, you will have the last laugh when you look fantastic and feel a million dollars :-)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    11/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luciano DiMarco
    Last Activity
    04-21-2014 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I hear you! I have been very selective about who I tell regarding my upcoming surgery...I just don't want to invite the critics.

I live in the land of skinny people, literally. My husband loses 10 lbs during his on-call week (he's a doc), and both of my children are highly competitive swimmers...in rock star shape! And then there's me...

I've just decided this is something I'm doing for me. It will not be easy, because food has always been my go-to for celebrating/comforting/sadness.

Please know that you have people here who understand! I think it is human nature to care what others think, but I agree that people, in general, suck!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Married
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Edward Mun
    Last Activity
    08-16-2014 01:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

People like to criticize and talk crap...people have no lives and need to mind their own buisness....

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish everyone that was thin could be overweight for a day! I have to say luckily I've never been teased, but was always poked at by one family member, but she was elderly so I chalked it up to her age. I think a lot of it has to do with age and maturity. I'd like to think that real genuine friends want the best for us! I know my family is ecstatic for me and so are my friends. I'm sure there may be some people that hear my story as I start to lose weight and say something ugly and all I can do is smile and ignore them. Society needs to realize that some people really have difficulty with weight issues and in fact can try everything without success. I think it's like a medical condition that the medical society and people as individuals need to be educated about. (Did that make sense?) OK I'm rambling so I will hush. lol All we can do is hold our heads up and pray for those that haven't a clue!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Watkins
    Last Activity
    03-24-2014 06:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,507 Times
    Blog Entries

Ok first - unfriend that person and anyone else who filled in that caption. You do not need toxic people in your life. And next, stop looking at those comment sections under celebrity news because some of those people have nothing to do but spount their hateful opinons. I have told only a select few people too, but mainly because I want to have a "coming out party" so to speak. Believe it or not, my best friend is not a real fan of what I have done. But she keeps her mouth shut and her opinons to herself. I did this for my health and longivity because I have a 9 month beautiful Grandbaby who will be off and walking/running soon. Everyone who has seen me thinks I look great and I am 77 lbs on my way to onederland. We are only in the early stages as a society in becoming more accepting of the overweight and how they choose to treat it. I have yet to hear of an awful thing that anyone has said to me. In my case, I bring up my age and how it would be impossible for me to lose as much weight as I needed to with "dieting that I have been forever unsuccessful at " and "exercise that I can't really do because of back and knee issues". If you are young - then say you wanted to do it while you are young enough to enjoy life as a thinner person. Then drop it with a look that just dares them to be rude. You can do this!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    03-30-2024 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

I have chosen to tell only those who would benefit from the knowledge that I had the procedure. Otherwise my comment as to how I lost the weight is diet and exercise (NOT lying)

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NubianBenz's Avatar
    Name
    Bobby
    Surgery date
    01/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Thomas Cerabona
    Last Activity
    12-17-2019 01:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10,080 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't anyone get you down i was in the same space as you this is my life i would like to live a long time the surgery is the best thing I every did, It's has change my life.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

I had no doubt people felt that way about the surgery, thus I have told no one. I dont want to be judged that way. Does that make me shallow or chicken because I wont stand up to the nonsense? Maybe. But I find it easier and I have more peace that way. No one will ever understand that its still work to lose it and keep it off. I see no need to be pioneer for a cause to educate people because I dont believe you can truly change it and people are entitled to see things as they wish.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Conbrio69's Avatar
    Name
    Casey
    Surgery date
    06/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Myron Powell
    Last Activity
    01-12-2014 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I've only had good remarks from people. I really don't care about any of it. I am healthier and happier! My family and friends love me and I love them. Haters will always target someone or a group. Keep focused and love your self and your choice.

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Gersin
    Last Activity
    12-09-2013 09:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I can count on my fingers the people I told about my surgery. I don't think it's anyone's business but mine and I don't want to take the chance of being derailed by others' negative thoughts. Obviously these people are ignorant about the WLS process so they do not understand why we are obese and how much work we have to put in to get healthy and lose the weight and our emotional baggage!!

If this person is a true & close friend, I would tell her how hurtful that was to you. If not, unfriend her because you don't need the negativity. Good luck!!!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MsRhoyalty22's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Watkins
    Last Activity
    09-19-2015 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Unfortunately we live in a society where all the rules of addiction, disease, etc do not apply to obesity. If there was a surgery to help someone get off crack, cocaine, heroin, etc NO ONE would criticize the addict for having it to save their lives and help them stop the addiction. But when it comes to being overweight, people want you to feel ashamed, as if you don't already feel that way to begin with. Many, (not all) overweight people are emotional eaters, so causing an overweight person to feel bad about themselves is going to have the opposite effect of what so called supporters want. In my case, I have no problem launching a verbal assault, so most people who know me keep their negative comments to their selves. LOL But back to the shame part real quick. Lots of overweight women..., let me rephrase this. Lots of women who have histories of sexual abuse go on to struggle with being overweight/obese. There is a level of shame, guilt, etc associated with sexual abuse so when society sends its "you ought to feel ashamed of yourself" message out it generally does more damage than good because now there is a double shame the person is caring. No pun intended, but that's a lot of weight for a person to carry. I could go on and on about this because I too am easily pissed off when I see an overweight person targeted for no other reason for being overweight. Bottom line... no one deserves to be belittled including you. I think a lot of overweight people think they deserve it because they feel so bad about being overweight. I say stand up for yourself!!! Nothing will build your self confidence more than putting some ignorant person who feels they have the right to make you feel bad in their place. Exercise your God given authority over your own life!!!!

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member St.Michael's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Robert Richard
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 276 Times

It is not just fat. Haters hate period. Try being a cop. Or a fat cop. I can't believe how bad society has turned on us. Used to be low lifes and scum who mouthed off Now every level of society scorns us. My daughters won't tell anyone their dad is a cop because they are tired of hearing the crap. People in general have lost all respect. There is definitely a double standard in the world about almost everything. My wife also is a doctor and the way some patients talk to her is sickening. Funny enough some of our societies most beloved actors have been overweight. Candy, Belushi, Barr, Farley, Hill, Hardy, Deluise, Wendt, Goodman, Anderson, James, Gleason, Alley, Latifah, O'donnell and Alexander. I'm sure there are a lot I didn't think of. Like Larry the cable guy lol. Hell the most popular celeb ever Elvis was fat. I am as frustrated with society as a pyromaniac in a petrified forest. But if I cared what they thought of me I would not get out of bed. Trust me no one is without demons.

30. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Dunlap
    Last Activity
    12-05-2013 05:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I am going to agree with MsRhoyalty. If I had a friend with an addiction to cocaine or alcohol and they finally made the decision to get some help, to actually go through whatever it takes to stop that addiction, I would be 100% in support and favor of it and do whatever I could to help them. However, if they had a friend that used alcohol or cocaine, but had it under control, those friends would most likely not support that person. Food is an addiction, obesity is a disease and I most certainly do not need "friends" that judge me or make fun of people that are bigger than them. This tells me they are not looking at my heart but at my pants size and I dont need them in my life and neither do you. Good luck!

32. Said thanks: