Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Default Food obsession

Probably like many other people I have lost and gained and lost and gained more. . . on many of the "plans" I have been on, there seems to be an obsession with food. Count every morsel, every calorie. . . Some of what I have read on here indicates that many continue this even with the sleeve. Is there anyone that was successful by generally following the guidelines of protein and hydration but just using the principal of stopping when you are full? Or does everyone still count every morsel? Just trying to get a picture and not be disappointed. Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Food obsession

My nutritionist does not want me to count any calories. She just wants me to follow the plan and get used to stopping before full.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts

Oh that is good news, THANK YOU. I am hopeful that others will have the same experience

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it's important for everyone to do what works for them. Some like to count calories, etc. The farther out, the more I find it's important to be aware of what's going into my body. I don't actually count, but I try to be "aware." I never call it a "diet" I prefer the word "lifestyle." Just saying... Continued suceess!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

I've never denied myself anything from day one. I do not do protein supplements and never did. I was on soft food a week out and even now if i want a cookie, i eat a cookie...but its a treat and i can actually stop at one. There are several of us on here that count ever calorie, carb, ounce of water, gram of protein and obsess over every bite. I am NOT one of those people lol.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like with every subject, each one of us is different. I am a counter, at least for 3 or so days a week. I really try not to obsess about it. The reason I do this is because I am a slow loser, and so need to know if I am eating the right things in the right quantities. Some people go up in calories and/or protein when they hit a stall, others go down. Other than that reason I don't think I would count. I think most do in the beginning while they are re-learning how they need to eat to be successful. Lots of us just go by the "protein first, then your veggies, then starches if you are still hungry" You will find what works for you. Good luck!!

Gastric Sleeve Member ThisIs4Me's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Ernest Rehnke
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 214 Times in 211 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,012 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, good luck 2 u

Im 6'2"...any questions? Lol

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

My dedication to count everything that goes in my mouth has been, is, and will probably always be poor at best...I know that I am probably getting the stink eye from a lot of post op people out there for saying that but it is the truth, and because it is the truth I can be real with you about somethings that, some of the more by the book people haven't had to learn. Yes, you can screw the diets, and guidelines up all to H@LL, you cannot count calories, not exercise, and let you self slip up and eat things that you KNOW you aren't supposed to, FAR more often than you should, and you will still lose weight...for a while. Then, and this is something that I can promise you from my own experience you will wake up and find that you have't lost weight for months. Some people blame the doctors, some people try to pawn it off that they should have gone with a different surgery, but in reality you can only blame yourself...the sleeve is a tool, and it don't work itself. Now, for a long time I have not ate right, exercised, kept up with vitamins, protein and water intake, and I have still managed to lose 1/3rd of my body weight, but man do I wish that I would have just followed the rules now. The longer that you go without following them, the harder it becomes to learn those lessons when the recently sleeved high dies off. I have worked hard to get myself back on track and doing things right, and I am so close to my goal that I can taste it, it is the best that I have felt in years. My best advice to you, sincerely, is to start working out as many of your bad habits now that you can, yes it is tedious, no fun, and sometimes life is so hectic is seems impossible, but you are doing this for a reason that is very personal to you...why become your own worst enemy?...make the most out of this journey, you will be so glad that you did!

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Amen, Melanie!! Continued success to all!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

The only things I count are protein and water. I adjusted MFP to 75g of protein and log all my food and protein supplements only so I can count protein. You get a read on calories that way too. Don't expect I'll keep that tight of track forever, but for right now, it helps me make sure I'm nourshed and hydrated. It's working well. I'm losing better than I expected and hopefully I won't have bad hair issues since im getting more than enough protein. You'll figure out what works for you!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Gastric Sleeve Member St.Michael's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Robert Richard
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 276 Times

I don't count calories. But I know from years of doing it what I am likely eating. Usually 500-800 a day.

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

I only look at calories now and again to take stock of where I'm at. Bad habits can slip in over time and it's a good idea to occasionally count your calories to make sure you're eyes aren't deceiving you when it comes to portion size. While you can just "stop when you're full" (and should) you have to be careful, because some foods don't make you feel that full, and other bad habits like, grazing and over-snacking are still thing you need to control.

Good luck!
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

I am over 2 years out from surgery and I don't count anything. In the beginning like the first few months I would count calories and then find I would either go too far under my "goal " for the day because of sheer rebellion. If I have to journal every bite i take I will penny pinch with the calorie numbers and if I am less than 100 away I almost feel a urge to make that perfect so I eat something else and that pushes the number over. Doing that was causing me so much stress I wasnt loosing weight at one point. Now for me food is not my "master" anymore. I stopped bothering with counting calories and things all together almost a year ago and began "clean eating" and I have no worries about weight other than being pregnant right now and my brain not wanting to see the scale number go up EVER lol I am now to a point with food that if I don;t make it myself I will not eat it. That has made a huge difference in my obsession with food I used to have. In my thoughts now if there is something I find myself just wanting because I WANT IT then I look it up online and find out what it takes to make it myself. Doing that has made it so much easier to say no to things I would love to just sit and eat and eat but now I have to really decided how much effort I am willing to put in to making it and if I want it THAT bad or not.
    This surgery isnt a quick fix as many of those who have never been through it think its all a process and you will find your happy place when it comes to food and being trained for so long to count everything is a hard habit to break because I know for me I felt I was doing something wrong if I didnt pay attention but now its so nice to not have to focus on food all day everyday. This has been the best thing I have ever done and I know there are many many more people on here who feel like that we were all scared that something would not be as we had thought it would be but I find that is a good thing.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Surgery date
    01/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pomp
    Last Activity
    05-03-2014 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Hi - I just wanted to say THANK YOU for completely keeping it real. I am at 9 months out of surgery and I find that I am doing exactly what you did. I feel like I have no control and actually can eat everything and anything I want. In the beginning you just can't do that!! Hopefully I can get back on track like you are but it is not an easy thing to do. The sleeve is like you said an excellent tool for weight loss and I have lost about 70lbs of the 100 I had to loose. I am now stalled and havent lost anymore weight in about 3 months. I keep hoping it will happen but I know now that it is up to me to start excercising again and not cheating and eating anything I want. Thanks again and its good to know I am not alone feeling this way!!