Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    04-15-2014 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy hair loss- SOS

I know everyone warned me about this, but I guess it's one of those things you don't realize will actually happen. the past few weeks i have been loosing a little hair but over the past weekend if I run my hands to through my hair it looks like I am going through chemo. I talked to nut and added biotin 5,000 and zinc 15 but I think I just need reassurance this is normal.
    If I can do it at 19, you can do it at 90

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: hair loss- SOS

Thank you for this post! I have already started taking the biotin although I haven't had my surgery. I will have to ask about the zinc. Let us know if it helps. Awesome job on your weight loss!!! Keep up the hard work and please keep us posted on the biotin and zinc.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member brightnessofhope's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Reynoso
    Said "Thanks" 297 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't had the sleeve yet, but would like to offer some food for thought. I have thrice had hair loss due to dieting- all three times were when I did low carb PLUS low, low fat, and lost weight very fast. I believe it's either from lack of fat or just the body being in shock due to rapid weight loss. But your hair will return- but it's quite discouraging when you are in the midst of watching it cover the shower drain daily!

Surgery Weight: 287

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Carri
    Surgery date
    07/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Avashai Meyer
    Last Activity
    03-04-2015 03:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I am dealing with this too for about a month now. It is making me insane. I keep my hair short, crazy and spikey, but just because it's short does not mean I am okay with it falling out completely! I was reassured by the doc that this is normal and by my nut as well, but it looks like a hair monster attacked the shower wall when I get out.. and running my hands through it, it just falls out like it's the normal thing to do. I have now cut it super short because it has thinned so much that it will not cooperate! I hope this is short term. Doc said I could take the biotin, but that if I get my protein in like I am suppose to it will stop! Oh I hope so!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member christark's Avatar
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-21-2013 06:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

My friend had this issue as well. It was from not getting enough vitamins, or taking the wrong ones. You need to take LIQUID vitamens. They absorb into your system better than pills. Once she started taking the correct vitamins her hair loss stopped! good luck to you

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Someone explained to me that the hair loss is due to the body being in starvation mode and it has to choose functions to shut down in order to keep operating. It considers hair growth as one of the least vital functions thus in order to preserve resources, that function is set aside in favor of other functions.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Danielle
    Surgery date
    05/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Murphy
    Last Activity
    06-06-2015 12:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 336 Times
    Blog Entries

I started this process with very thick curly hair and lost a LOT of it after surgery and know exactly how discouraging this is but I promise you it WILL stop and it WILL grow back! Mine started falling out around 2 1/2 months post-op and stopped right around 6 months so there is an end in sight to this! LIke everything else with this surgery, different things work for different people, nothing that I took or ate or drank stopped it all together but I feel like a couple things helped me personally. I started taking my Biotin twice a day, one 5,000 mg in the morning & another at night (about 12 hours apart) and I noticed the gentler I was on my hair the less came out at a time. I also started using Garnier's "Fall Fight" shampoo & conditioner & a leave in detangling spray by Pantene that left my hair silkier so it was easier to get through with my brush.

When this started for me I did a lot of research and spoke to quite a few people about it (dr's and other sleevers) and I found out 2 things, first of all there is nothing you can do or could have done that would absoluetly keep this from happening! I think that protein, vitamins and water absolutely play a factor in this because it is a way our body tells us we're lacking certain vitamins/minerals, but when i was dealing with it people made me feel like i'd done something wrong and they hadn't because mine was coming out by the handfuls and they didn't lose a hair but that is NOT the case ... some people are just lucky in this regard and don't experience hair loss while others of us do. Secondly I was told by my doctor that it's a combination of the rapid weight loss and the anesthesia that cause this to happen. I have a friend at work who had her knee replaced a few months ago and said she noticed definite increase in her hair shedding that few months after surgery but the combination of the 2 factors for us makes it more pronounced. Keep up the great work you're doing and this too shall pass!!

November 3, 2011 - First Visit to Bariatric Center 277 lbs
    May 1, 2012 - Start pre-op diet 251 lbs
    May 22, 2012 - Surgery weight 236 lbs
    May 22, 2013 - 1 year anniversary 160 lbs

The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them too

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member dgoerlitz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Tallal Zeni
    Last Activity
    12-03-2013 12:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Not only did I lose hair, but the texture of my hair is changing. I started about the 3 month mark and it finally ended at about 7 months out. I take 2 multivitamins daily, 2 biotin (5,000 mg), and I wash and condition my hair with a collegen biotin shampoo that I found at CVS. I think it's helping. I know I need to shave my legs a lot more often, so at least that hair is growing more. I also have A LOT of new growth right now that is a bit disruley, but when it gets too crazy, I just clip it up.

Heaviest weight = 293 lbs
    Weight prior to pre-surgery diet = 281
    Surgery day weight = 278 lbs
    Goal weight = 150 lbs

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    John Afthinos
    Last Activity
    09-23-2014 09:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 198 Times

I am 3 weeks post op and I am hoping I am one of the lucky ones that don't get hair loss since my hair is fine as it is. I have been keeping my meals to mostly high protein low carb if any and low fat. That's what scares me the most is hair loss. Gonna start taking biotin and zinc hopefulyy if it does happen it will be short lived and shedding will be minimal.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Well, this is helpful info for me. Sounds like the hair loss happens to most people (although not to a lucky few). And that the hair loss eventually stops and your "lost" hair comes back. All I can think about is: What if I had cancer and were getting chemo -- it would be a lot worse!

That's one of my ways to deal with difficulties -- imagine something worse that some people struggle with and then be grateful I'm not dealing with that bigger problem. Which is why they call me ...

Polly(Ann2)a

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 07:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Folks: My hair kindof sucked the first year - like everyone said take vitamins, iron if necessary, enough protein, biotin, and try to relax...anyone with a pet knows stress makes you 'shed'...I'm 2 years out and my hair's never been better (better than current picture).

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member puplover24's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    04-15-2014 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you all so much for your advice and kind words. I feel 100 times better now
    If I can do it at 19, you can do it at 90

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

Hey there! I see that you are doing pretty terrific yourself! I am losing some hair but not handfuls. I am taking the biotin but it doesn't stop hair from falling out but it does keep the hair you have in good shape. I have heard that zinc can help but haven't done anything with it. I do try to get at least 70g of protein a day and have from the beginning. I asked my hair stylist what I could do in case my hair started falling out and he recommended this shampoo and conditioner called Revita. You can order it on Amazon but it is a little pricey. It is a follicle stimulator so it helps to generator the hair a little quicker. My objective was to start hair growing while I am losing at the same time hopefully this will balance out some. He went to a seminar on the shampoo and put some of his clients with hair pattern baldness and they did grow hair. He did not try and push the product on me he actually tried to talk me out of it because he didn't think I would need it. Knowing what I have learned on here I ordered it anyway. The last time I saw him he checked my head and I do have new growth which I am hoping will balance out with what I am losing. Keep up the great job you are doing terrific!!

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member megameter's Avatar
    Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    10/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Eid
    Last Activity
    07-14-2014 03:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I have also heard that general anesthesia can cause hair loss. I don't remember where I read it but basically general anesthesia causes your hair to chenge from a growth cycle to a rest cycle, and after a few months in the rest cycle, the hair falls out. usually only aout 10% or less of your hair is in a rest cycle but the anesthesia can cause the sytme to go haywire. That is why any surgery done with general can cause hair loss. Add that to the dual problems of protein and vitamin deficiencies for the first week or so after surgery and your body just can't cope so the hair comes out.

My surgeons office suggested a zinc supplement as they have seen some anecdotal evidence that it helps and it doesn't hurt anything.
    Starting Weight (May): 336
    Weight day of Surgery (Oct 17): 321

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anne
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    02-19-2020 03:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Same thing happened to me around month 3, it stopped after about 2 months. I was in hospital in July for a week and not taking my vitamins as I was throwing up constantly from getting off some meds and it just started coming out again a few weeks ago. I took 5000mg of Biotin a day and I think it helps, just be patient and give yourself some time. I also cut my hair short so I don't have to brush it as much to prevent it.