Dr. Samuel
    Last Activity
    12-30-2014 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question No weight loss at week 5

Hello all
    I had surgery for the sleeve on July 15th 2014 and lost 10lbs pre op liquid diet, and 27lbs since surgery. So a toal of 37lbs lost. It is now week 5 since surgery and I have not lost any weight since last Friday which is almost a week of nothing lost. I am beyond frustrated because I thought this early I wouldn't have to worry about why Im not losing anything. I started soft foods on last week and really eat a small amount of an egg every morning with ketchup and a pinch of reduced fat cheese. Then for lunch it's a couple bites out of a baked potatoe with reduced fat sour cream (very small amount) and another pinch of reduced fat cheese. Dinner is turkey roast slice, about half of it, small amount of mashed potatoes and a couple pieces of green beans if I can fit that in. I am drinking water constantly and am at a loss as to why this is happening. I first thought maybe my metabolism isn't catching up with my new foods but I really was under the impression that this wont happen until at least 3 months out. Anybody else have this problem this early? And no I haven't started working out yet because I just started back to work. I am giving myself one week to get back in the routine before I enter in more to more workload by going to the gym. That starts next week.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Bilof
    Last Activity
    04-04-2015 10:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Re: No weight loss at week 5

It usually happens 3 weeks out...stalls are normal...I had one that lasted over a week and that was at 3 weeks out...I broke it by increasing my liquids and protein...don't panic...it is frustrating...

Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nicholson
    Last Activity
    10-31-2014 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 66 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there, you have just hit a stall. I had someone explain this journey like going down stairs. You go down, hit a landing (stall), then go down the next flight. You are just on a landing between floors. I just got past my first that lasted a little over a week. It will happen, you will lose again! Just work your program! You are doing great!

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    10-29-2020 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

It's the three-week stall for sure - it was just late for you
    A caution about potato - that is a high carb food and should be the last thing you eat in a meal if you can fit it in. Where's your protein at lunch time? Are you getting enough protein in a day? You need to keep your protein up and your carbs down, especially in these early stages of your journey.
    Deb
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

Gastric Sleeve Member missemily516's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Channing Chin
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I noticed that you eat a potato for lunch and a potato for dinner. Cut that out of your diet totally. At this point you should be eating protein, protein, protein. Eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, fish, chicken, meat, and one protein shake per day (or protein powder sprinkled on everything).
    "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms"

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ScouterJim's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Surgery date
    01/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Neal Church
    Last Activity
    05-20-2015 02:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 314 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm going to go with everyone else on this. Stalls are normal, keep drinking your water and start focusing on protein rather than potatoes. I think I was about 3 months before I started trying a bit of potato. I also suggest that you should throw away your scale or at least lock it up and only weigh in about once a month. Stalls happen. It is a natural part of the weight loss cycle. People have a tendency to become focused on the number on the scale. That is not what this is all about. This is about improving our health. To this day I still don't own a scale and I only weigh in when I go for my monthly appointment with my dietitian. As a result I have never stressed out about a stall. Good luck, be patient, and in time you will be posting all of your successes for us to celebrate with you.

Name
    Stacie
    Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you everyone for repying!! My program is a little different than everyone elses I've noticed. We don't do shakes at all, instead we do skim milk. I just started the soft food phase last week so I am having problems finding things to eat that are soft foods that I can take to work or make fast since I just went back to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be eating at this point that is not applesause or yogurt?? (I am beyond tired of both of those foods and would rather focus on something that has more protein) That way I can kick the potatoes to the curb!

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

As others have pointed out, I guess this is what they mean by a temporary stall or plateau. This seems to be very common.
    Could it also be that you are putting on muscle mass? If you lost 5 pounds of fat and put on 5 pounds of muscle, you will weight the same.

Keep up the great work.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you consume protein powders?

They make many flavors of protein powders, including UNFLAVORED. When I was in the hospital, they put that into a gelatin which I ate.

And this morning, I dissolved some chicken-flavored protein powder in my cream of chicken soup, which I made with skim milk. And even though I ate only half a cup (took 1 1/2 hours) I still scored 14 grams of protein in that little half a cup of soup.

Try UNJURY Medical Quality Protein. Best Tasting Whey Protein Isolate Powder. Most Trusted Whey Protein Powder Supplement. High Quality Whey Protein.

P.S. Later today, I'll have vanilla flavored protein powder mixed in good with some Greek Oikos yogurt. Mmm umm, good!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times

Cottage cheese, canned flakes of chicken/turkey/tuna - chew well, scrambled eggs are good anytime, refried beans, guacamole...
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

Name
    Stacie
    Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

I actually am not supposed to do any shakes, protein bars, none of that. My dietician says majority of them have too many calories and sugar and instead of drinking your food you should eat it instead. I know im not getting the right amount of protein in every day but I think it's way better than my first couple weeks because majority of the time I could barely eat anything. The funny thing is, I am starting to get hungry again. It's not all the time, but I feel hungry sometimes. I don't snack or anything like that but I am having a hard time with cottage cheese and dairy products. I feel like I might have become lactose intolerant. Hopefully not though. Thanks everyone for the advice though! I am going to stay away from potatoes for the most part and stick to my chicken and turkey!

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sganos View Post
    I actually am not supposed to do any shakes, protein bars, none of that. My dietician says majority of them have too many calories and sugar and instead of drinking your food you should eat it instead. I know im not getting the right amount of protein in every day but I think it's way better than my first couple weeks because majority of the time I could barely eat anything. The funny thing is, I am starting to get hungry again. It's not all the time, but I feel hungry sometimes. I don't snack or anything like that but I am having a hard time with cottage cheese and dairy products. I feel like I might have become lactose intolerant. Hopefully not though. Thanks everyone for the advice though! I am going to stay away from potatoes for the most part and stick to my chicken and turkey!
    The hunger could be acid reflux. That's very common with sleevers.
    Frankly, at this early stage, I am quite surprised that your NUT would advise against protein drinks when it is so CRITICALLY important for you to get as much protein as you can. I can see dropping them after three months or so (but I won't b/c something like Unjury powder has only 100 cal per serving with 20 g of highly digestible protein and is a perfect snack), but when you are still so recently out of surgery... I just can't fathom it. You need that protein!
    Re cottage cheese - try mixing in Splenda and some cinnamon or vanilla extract.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi second that why no protein shakes ?? They have all the goodness you need , I have to keep having them as part of my diet for 3 months . I would see about getting a second opinion . I know all consultants have different diet sheets but this is one we all usually agree on . Good luck .

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

dyberrah I'm glad you said about the acid because I think that's what's happening to me .

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

Name
    Stacie
    Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

I went and got some tums yesterday and ever since I started taking them I haven't been hungry. So I think its the acid in my stomach. Today I am focusing on eating as much protein as I can and if I have to get a protein drink to get it where it needs to be then so be it. Im not really understanding the thought behind us not having the protein shakes but she basically just said it was the calorie and sugar intake, she says to have a carnation sugar free instant breakfast with milk instead. I've done that a couple times but Im so busy drinking water that I don't really have anywhere to fit in the drinks anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast