Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    08-29-2022 08:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Cool Post op diet

So I'm 6 days out of surgery and I was fine without eating the first three days but the fourth once I got home I realized that im not hungry I just miss the thought of being able to eat right now ... I'm in my full liquid phase I have 11 more days I can have protein shakes and drinkable yogurt ,creamy soups . I'm finding this stage the hardest because I'm not a creamy soup person and I can handle only so much yogurt I feel myself really wanting something savory and I'm sick of protein powders I'm mixing it in with my yogurt my creamy soups and I even made a homemade chicken broth . Once I'm out of this stage I get puréed food for 10 days 1oz 3x a day such as puréed tuna,chicken, &salmon I feel like I might be okay with this stage because I decided I was going to be creative and do chicken in the crockpot with BBQ and purée it with like a puréed mustard deviled egg side and then once I'm out of this stage I do most foods like chopped tender chicken chopped tender fish and if I have room a veggie ( no carb like potatoes or no grains yet ) I do this for 11 days and then finally back to normal foods except crunchy chips that doesn't come til the 3rd month. So basically I just wanted to see what everyone else post op was like if it was as long as mine if anyone else out there just feels like they really want something savory . I love to cook and a darn good one at that but I'm having a hard time with full liquids and thinking I want food I did cheat about 30mins ago I made for my husband (because I missed cooking ) loaded mashed potatoes and lemon pepper grilled chicken an I cheated and ate a little tiny spoon of potatoes I felt it go in my tummy and it felt really tight so I know I shouldn't do that again until I heal all the way I hope I didn't mess up anything : /

Anyways I wanted to vent I hate this stage and I want to cook and I can't wait til day 40 to eat ! Is there something wrong with that ....?

Oh and I have a friend that has had it done 4 almost basically 5 yrs ago and she said that her surgeon had her on like a two week restricted diet of liquids and the regular food when I told her how long I had to be on the clear then full liquid and then puréed an then soft and then finally solids she thought that was crazy !

Thanks for letting me vent I do feel better

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member mrslml2002's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lynn
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Chengelis
    Last Activity
    05-17-2020 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 79 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Post op diet

I am feeling your pain. I had my surgery on the same day. This full liquid stage does suck! I have been on different bariatric cooking websites to look up recipes. I can't wait to try puréed cauliflower (low carb version of mashed potatoes). I also plan to buy a julienne vegetable peeler to make zucchini noodles. I am sorry, I know this is not helping. Can you tell that I am dealing with head hunger? Lol!
    I do however know that the hunger goes away when I have things on my full liquid diet list. I did add pumpkin spice (no sugar) to my Greek yogurt today. It was very good. Hang in there my surgery buddy. You are not alone in this.
    Lynn
    Highest weight: 263 (September 2009)
    Start weight: 253 (March 11, 2013)
    Day of surgery weight: 236
    Height: 5'3.5

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Lol thanks I'm glad I had someone else out there going through the sae as me not that I want us going through this but its nice to have someone
    Thanks for the cauliflower idea and the laughs I read your reply out to myself and my husband and we got a kick out of it lol thanks !

Gastric Sleeve Member Iluvmycurves's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vemulapalli
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 05:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations.... Great to hear ur doing well also thanks for sharing ur story. It's very helpful to hear different types of ideas for the purée stage because I had no clue as to what I was going to do. I'm scheduled to have my surgery Tuesday. Thanks for the info. Wishing u a speedy recovery!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times

Good luck on your surgery on Tuesday ! I was told by my friend who has the sleeve like I talked about previously and she said that this I the hardest part
    I know we all will do great it's just the mental stuff we have to get through and when I weighed myself yesterday I told my husband I haven't hit 223 in almost 6 years so its a good feeling to that and hear compliments already I just need to get my head hungry under control lol . Best wishes!!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 05:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Ive not yet figured out the cooking thing, and its been nine months. I've found that there really isn't much fun in cooking when I can't eat. I am grateful that I no longer care about some of that stuff. I guess I'm just trying to say that your head does make adjustments, and you will get used to it. at first, it was kind of like a grieving stage for me. Honestly, my head has been the hardest thing to get to change. Like I think I want pizza....sometimes I pile it on my plate like I did before surgery. then I have like one small piece, and my stomach will say....nope you're done with this. I think you will find that as the weight comes off you will get used to your new lifestyle.

It was a long progression of adding food back in, sounds similar to yours I was so hooked on cream of wheat for a while, then oatmeal.

Gastric Sleeve Member richsgirl2002's Avatar
    Name
    Vickie
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Farhan
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 12:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I can totally relate to all that you said. I had my surgery on Monday the 30th. I am on the liquid diet for weeks 1 and 2 and then pureed diet for weeks 3 and 4 and then soft diet for 5 and 6 (I believe) I am doing okay with the hunger. I am having protein shakes and adding unflavored protein to that as well. Yogurt (also adding protein to that) creamy or blended soups also adding the protein packets to it. SF jello, Popsicle and today I tried a few bites of sf pudding. I couldn't eat much at all but it didn't hurt at all. I just knew enough to stop at a few bites. I have to say that the small baby spoons i picked up at the dollar tree help so much!!!! We are all in this together. We'll make it through!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Big Paul
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bilof
    Last Activity
    10-24-2016 07:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Wow, so glad to hear all of you. I too was sleeved on 9/30/13 and almost lost it last night. I've been on the clear liquid diet for 2 weeks (6 days since sleeve) and can drink pretty easily now without stomach pain or gas. The last two days I've felt very week like the items on the allowable list (water, diet snapple, crystal light, SF jello or ice pops and broth) are just not enough to maintain. Yesterday and today I had a protein shake which helped but tonight I thought I was going to lose it. I started freaking out and felt like "This is nuts" and "I can't do this" . My wife talked me off the edge and I feel asleep. I am getting stomach cramps that Feel like the hunger cramps...can that be? I see my Doc on Tuesday where he hopefully releases me to the stage 2 diet where I can have cottage cheese and hot cereals...I am having a tough time with this and am praying for Tuesday!!!!!!