I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-17-2013 10:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Default Fixing Meals for Others

Hi there!

I'm quite new to this message board, and I've been trying to see if there was a thread already about what I'm about to ask, but I couldn't find one...so here goes.

For those that have already been sleeved, how do you fix/deal with meals for the family? I am a SAHM, and one of my biggest fears post-op will be how will I fix meals for my husband and kids, while participating in mealtime with them? I also will not be telling my kids that I have had this surgery, so I'm going to have to come up with some pretty good excuses/reason's as to why I'm not eating like the rest of them will be.

Sorry if this is confusing.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ScreamAndBeFree's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Classen
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 07:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fixing Meals for Others

The way I cook meals has not changed. I always cooked a lean meat, veggies, and sometimes a card side. I still cook the same things like a whole chicken, pork tenderloin, pork chops, meatloaf etc with a veggie and rice or pasta side. The only difference is now I eat mostly protein, with a couple of bites or veggies and sometimes a couple of bites of carbs.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Hopefuljourney's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Alok D Gandhi, DO
    Last Activity
    09-24-2015 01:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Can I ask you why you will not be telling your children you are having the surgery. I told my children and it was such a non event for them. They weren't upset when I told them that myself and their father were both having the sleeve surgery because we wanted to get healthier so that we could have a long life with them. They are wonderful, encouraging and they totally understand what we can and cannot eat.

As far as cooking for others, I really have not had any issues. I have no appetite so making others food is not an issue. I bake too but don't partake. I make protein and veggies for the family and I can have that too. Occasionally I will make rice or a side of pasta - I don't eat that but a small amount for the family is fine. I figure if protein and veggies are a sound diet for me, that it is a benefit for my children as well. My husband is 6 day post op so he is having clear liquids right now and is not doing any cooking.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-17-2013 10:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefuljourney View Post
    Can I ask you why you will not be telling your children you are having the surgery. I told my children and it was such a non event for them. They weren't upset when I told them that myself and their father were both having the sleeve surgery because we wanted to get healthier so that we could have a long life with them. They are wonderful, encouraging and they totally understand what we can and cannot eat.
    Good question! My children are still quite young (the youngest being 5) and they all like to "talk" per se, which I would like to avoid at all costs. Also, none of them (fortunately!) have had to struggle with weight like I have since I was 3-4, and I'd like to let them see me working out (more) and eating (even better) and hopefully they will never have to be in the position that I am in currently. Also, I do not want them to feel any additional stress from any scares they may have with me having a surgery. Minus the 5 year old, they are all pretty sensitive and tend to over think things (they get it honestly! LOL) and I want to not have them put in that position.

Gastric Sleeve Member Mrssimpson's Avatar
    Name
    K
    Surgery date
    08/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    12-05-2015 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

I am able to cook things I don't eat now. I have gone to chocolate shop and bought fudge. Scooped ice cream. Cooked my old fav meals. I just don't crave it the way I used to. Plus I don't think it would make my tummy happy. And wouldn't get me to my protien level I need. Grilled cheese is hard as I adore it. But I'm not gonna deprive others because of my restrictions.

1st dr visit. 311
    Start pre op 290
    Dos 8/22. 275
    8/30. 263
    9/30. 249
    10/30. 234
    11/30. 219
    12/31. 208
    1/31. 198 Woohoo!!!
    2/28 193
    3/31. 186
    4/30. 179