Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

Default A Pilates Reformer

I have been struggling to get my exercise in since school started. This summer I went to yoga classes most weekdays and I really miss it! I did get a few dvds and have been doing one at least twice a week, but I know that's not enough. I went to my first Pilates lesson last Saturday and I loved it! The teacher said after another lesson or 2 I would be ready for group lessons and there is a class on Saturdays I could attend. I'm gonna do that, but still I know I need to do more. I am thinking about buying a reformer for home use. Does anyone have one? Any recommendations? Any reformer dvds you have and recommend? Any and all Pilates advice would be welcome!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Pilates Reformer

Well, I live 2 miles from a Pilates studio with (relatively) affordable equipment classes (an equal mix of Reformer, Wunda Chair, Springboard, Spine Corrector and I do privates on the Cadillac) so I do Pilates regularly. And by that I mean I do it 5-6 times per week and have done that since about 3 weeks out from surgery -- a lot of Pilates. I love it and highly recommend it. Doing Pilates has helped me transform my body during this weight loss phase. Instead of being just skinny, I'm more lean and have some muscle definition. It's not going to get rid of loose skin, but it helps. It also really helps with hand/eye coordination and general body movement, which we all need as we rapidly change body sizes.

I personally believe that most home exercise equipment ends up gathering dust. I love going to the studio and interacting with people and getting input from the instructor's on my form. My local Gold's Gym has 3 Pilates mat classes per week and is like $39.95/month so to almost anyone some level of Pilates is accessible. I bought the Winsor (Windsor?) Pilates DVD set and I use it when I'm on the road or can't squeeze in a class. I've thought about buying one of the Stott Reformers that Costco is selling but I just worry I wouldn't use it as much or that my form would go bad without instructor intervention.

Best of luck! Pilates has changed my life! (an actual quote from the move Step Brothers).

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times

Thanks for the feed back! The private lessons were a gift from one of my student's parents. A welcome back to school and congrats for loosing weight gift. I need to investigate the cost more. I just assumed it was kind of pricey. The only class there that works with my schedule is on Saturday. I guess I need to investigate other schedules at other places. Most I have looked at where I live seem to be geared to women who don't work and are mid morning. That has me wondering if I could do it on my own during the week while getting feedback on Saturdays. Thanks for the encouragement!

Name
    Janet
    Surgery date
    07/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stanley D. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    10-31-2015 09:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

I have always wanted to try pilates and/or yoga. I don't know when I would fit it in though I'm hooked on water aerobics 3x's per week and swimming 2x's per week. Does it take a lot of private lessons to learn?

Jan 2013: 204 lbs - Began process
    July 29, 2013: 184 lbs - Surgery Day
    3 months: 10/29/13: 149 lbs (total lost: 35lbs since surgery)
    6 months: 1/29/14: 125 lbs (total lost: 59 since surgery)
    9 months: 4/29/14: 122 lbs (total lost: 62 since surgery)
    12 months: 7/29/14: 122 lbs (total lost: 62 since surgery)

Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LtWeight View Post
    I have always wanted to try pilates and/or yoga. I don't know when I would fit it in though I'm hooked on water aerobics 3x's per week and swimming 2x's per week. Does it take a lot of private lessons to learn?
    I love yoga and I did lots of yoga this summer. Now that school has started I have not been able to find classes in my area that work with my schedule. I did get some dvds but I was feeling it wasn't enough. I have now had 2 private lessons and 1 group class. I went ahead and ordered an inexpensive (relatively) reformer and a pilates book. I read the book yesterday. The reformer is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. My plan is to do pilates at home during the week and attend a class on Saturdays. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I am a beginner I think instructor feedback is important, but want to move towards daily exercise, and I think this might be a good option for me.

Your swimming and water aerobic schedule looks good! I have always thought that would be good for me too, but have never had the opportunity to participate in a water aerobic class. Keep up the good work!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times

Just an update. I got my reformer and I have it set up in my den. I expected it to fit in my bed room but it is longer than I thought it would be and it didn't work there. As long as I'm using it all the time it will be okay, but long term I dont know how I feel about it being in the den. Mine came with a jump board and that's how I use it most. Typically I set the kitchen timer for 30 mins. and do footwork till the timer dings. I enjoy i much more than the exercise bike I was using and I think it's helping. My thighs are looking better, and I don't mind doing it. I'm not sure how many calories I burn but I'm having fun.