Surgeon
    Dr. Nathan Allison
    Last Activity
    10-22-2013 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Sleeve to Bypass revision

It has been a long time since I have posted, but I am hoping that someone out there has gone through this. On Monday I had my 1yr. post-op appointment with my surgeon. I was asked how my GERD has been....and well it isn't any better post-op....it is actually worse. I am on daily medication for the heart burn. I also take tums & Phenergan (for nausea 3x a day). My dr. wanted to rule out Barrett's Esophagus & also to see if my hernia had grown due to the amount of "heartburn" I was having. I had an egd done yesterday & sure enough....I have Barrett's and this acid reflux i've been having is actually bile reflux as seen during the egd! My dr. changed my meds & I will be following up w/him in 3wks. He mentioned that the only way to eliminate the bile reflux would be with a sleeve revision to gastric bypass surgery. I am young & would like to take care of this asap. Anyone out there had a similar experience?????

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Beautiful Swan's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. RoseMarie Jones
    Last Activity
    08-01-2014 10:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleeve to Bypass revision

I heard about it but do not know anyone who has had it. Best of luck for a resolution,

Name
    Renee-Find me on Facebook at Jrenee63
    Surgery date
    08/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen McKenna
    Last Activity
    07-29-2014 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 309 Times
    Was Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,544 Times
    Blog Entries

Check out youtube...put in sleeve revision to bypass-surely there is something on there to answer some of your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla M View Post
    It has been a long time since I have posted, but I am hoping that someone out there has gone through this. On Monday I had my 1yr. post-op appointment with my surgeon. I was asked how my GERD has been....and well it isn't any better post-op....it is actually worse. I am on daily medication for the heart burn. I also take tums & Phenergan (for nausea 3x a day). My dr. wanted to rule out Barrett's Esophagus & also to see if my hernia had grown due to the amount of "heartburn" I was having. I had an egd done yesterday & sure enough....I have Barrett's and this acid reflux i've been having is actually bile reflux as seen during the egd! My dr. changed my meds & I will be following up w/him in 3wks. He mentioned that the only way to eliminate the bile reflux would be with a sleeve revision to gastric bypass surgery. I am young & would like to take care of this asap. Anyone out there had a similar experience?????
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Beginning Weight: 220
    Pre-op weight: 212.4
    Day 4 post-op: 209
    1 week: 204
    2 Weeks: 199
    3 weeks: 195
    5 Weeks: 190.4
    7 weeks: 186.6
    8 weeks: 184

1st goal weight: 170
    2nd goal weight: 150
    3rd goal weight: 140

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robin Blackstone
    Last Activity
    10-01-2013 01:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Karla M View Post
    Hope you find answers. I'm considering the revision myself, for different reasons. I originally wanted bypass, but my doctor talked me in to the sleeve. Kind of wishing I had stuck to my original plan!

Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sowemimo
    Last Activity
    01-10-2014 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 153 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

People normally do that when they regain weight after the sleeve. Good luck to u!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to tell you I've seen some other people have to get gastric bypass after sleeve for terrible GERD/reflux. You are NOT the only one and you won't be the last. The bypass eliminates the reflux almost immediately because the sleeve is a high pressure system and the gastric bypass is not. If you have Barrett's esophagus, you should get the bypass right away. That can lead to some very scary issues and you don't want to deal with them. I would trust your surgeon 100% on this. It's not something to mess around with. I know the bypass can sound scary and I would never get it UNLESS I had Barrett's. I have acid reflux since being sleeved too but it's very well controlled with a good PPI and I never experience any other issues nor do I need anything else for it so mine is mild. Big hugs going out to you and you are NOT alone.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    08-14-2014 10:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 778 Times

You might want to try another forum like ObesityHelp.com or RNYTalk or ThinnerTimes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    dr. alvarez
    Last Activity
    01-03-2014 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

hello karla,
    Was wondering if you ever took care of your situation with the Gerd and possibly revision to gastric. Only cause i too had the sleeve back in 2008 and i have exactly what you have. Hiatal hernia, acid reflux, barretts esophogus. My doctor has told me the only way to cure this was to have the gastric bypass. Im just trying to find anyone who has gone through this experience and their outcome.
    Thanks