Thread: Curing Diabetes

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-11-2010 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Curing Diabetes

I have heard that a bariatric bypass cures diabetes, specifically those types of diabetes that do not require insulin. Is this true for gastric sleeve procedures?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-23-2010 03:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Well, if that were true, I think that the savings you get from the diabetes cure alone is well worth the price of the procedure!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-23-2010 04:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 14 Posts

I had type 2 diabetes and I opted for gastric sleeve. To be honest, I've had my doubts. My sugar levels have always been around 10-12, and that is normal for me. It is rather rare, even when I don't eat anything that I go below 10. I had the procedure last January, and was pleased to see that my sugar levels plummeted to around 6.0 4 days after when I was discharged.

My doctor took me off insulin and started me on diaphormin and dimerel. Soon, I was having sugar levels of 4, or 5. And with the weight loss, my doctor assured me that I will be off the meds soon, and could look forward to seeing improvements just by disciplining myself with diet and exercise!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-08-2010 02:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing that. I think that type 2 diabetes are present in around 20% of obese people, and it is great that these procedures hit two birds with one stone. I think this is because more than the weight loss, gastric sleeve also has a positive effect on your metabolism. In fact, I've been told that more people experience the improvement in blood sugar levels first before they see any weight loss, as you can see in your experience having such a low sugar level just 4 days after your surgery.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-11-2010 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts

Thank you for your replies. i did some reading on this one and From what I found out, gastric band is the least effective procedure that helps with type 2 diabetes having only a 50% rate of success with diabetes. Gastric sleeve procedures help 85% of those who have type 2 diabetes getting it, while the highest with 92% of cases improving is the duodenal exclusion.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-23-2010 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PinkofHealth View Post
    I had type 2 diabetes and I opted for gastric sleeve. To be honest, I've had my doubts. My sugar levels have always been around 10-12, and that is normal for me. It is rather rare, even when I don't eat anything that I go below 10. I had the procedure last January, and was pleased to see that my sugar levels plummeted to around 6.0 4 days after when I was discharged.

My doctor took me off insulin and started me on diaphormin and dimerel. Soon, I was having sugar levels of 4, or 5. And with the weight loss, my doctor assured me that I will be off the meds soon, and could look forward to seeing improvements just by disciplining myself with diet and exercise!
    Hi PinkofHealth:

I have heard that the weight loss associated with gastric sleeve is a great treatment for diabetes. And we have your experience to add to the number of people who have been helped with their diabetes as well. Thanks for sharing!

13. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-29-2024 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Thank you for your replies. i did some reading on this one and From what I found out, gastric band is the least effective procedure that helps with type 2 diabetes having only a 50% rate of success with diabetes. Gastric sleeve procedures help 85% of those who have type 2 diabetes getting it, while the highest with 92% of cases improving is the duodenal exclusion.
    85% vs 92% with the duodenal, not bad. Those are both a big difference than 50% success rate going for the gastric band.
    Great info, thanks for sharing.