Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Judgmental Co-workers

Yeah, or even a small "Ouch, that was a little judgemental...." sort of makes people stop in their tracks.

I've been open with my boss and some of my coworkers about my surgery. Luckily, I work in healthcare and thus, all of these people have met many patients who have had this surgery. It's not a big deal at all at my work. I didn't even have to explain what bariatric surgery is because they all know what it is. Everyone has been really supportive.

My boss is a very good nurse though and knows what's okay/not okay to eat though so I'm sure she'll be watching me like a hawk but in a good way. haha.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Overby
    Last Activity
    11-05-2013 11:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I just had surgery friday. Right before i went out of work i would tell other employees about my surgery because i was sooo excited and i actually had two people who said "well i prefer to do it the ild fashioned way". It was on the tip of my tongue "how's that working out for u"
    )

Gastric Sleeve Member LeeStadler's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Enochs
    Last Activity
    12-06-2013 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

At times like these it's best to remember that this is your journey. Choose your travel companions well and don't waste needless energy with the naysayers. If they think you are doing it the "easy way" they are just poorly informed. This is NOT easy....nor is it successful without a huge amount of desire and dedication upon your part to make it work. Some just don't understand this but that's not your problem. Focus on you...your health...your success...and your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

My husband is the only one who knows about my surgery, that way I don't have to justify anything to anyone. Sometimes I have no check-valve on my tongue and would say something I would later regret....

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tanya whiddon View Post
    Hi everyone! I just had surgery friday. Right before i went out of work i would tell other employees about my surgery because i was sooo excited and i actually had two people who said "well i prefer to do it the ild fashioned way". It was on the tip of my tongue "how's that working out for u"
    )
    I got that once from a friend (who is no longer a friend btw) who opposed my surgery. He weighs about 80 lb more than I do and eats horrifically 100% of the time but thinks he's "fine" and it annoyed me that he had the gall to bash my surgery and desire to be healthier. I wanted soooo badly to say "Well I can see your 'diet' is working out great for you. Keep shoveling that mac and cheese into your mouth; I'm sure you'll have a triple chin in no time."

It's probably better that I ended that friendship when I did. There is no way I could tolerate that sort of nonsense and I think I'd be even less tolerant after surgery.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Graciegurl's Avatar
    Name
    Gracie
    Surgery date
    04/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Emma J. Patterson
    Last Activity
    02-01-2015 10:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

Becc....

Perhaps it is my age (55) however I have I come to the realization that this is MY life and unless I ask you for your thoughts and opinions???? Keep 'em to yourself! LOL. The thing is people always have something to say and it is up to us to let it roll off our backs like water on a duck or get all twisted up about what was said. I choose to let it roll... What I think and know about myself is what matters to me! So you had half of a candy bar, okay, you had it. Food addictions are freaking hard but you choose to only eat half and I know from experience that choosing to eat half instead of the whole bar was a step in the right direction. Listen, we all didn't end up where we are by making healthy, mindful choices. And now, we do have the choice. Stay true to yourself and like a duck, let the negative comments roll right off!

Be well and be happy!

Gracie

Gastric Sleeve Member evelynine's Avatar
    Name
    evie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2013
    Surgeon
    dr o
    Last Activity
    09-24-2014 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

love your statement

Gastric Sleeve Member Dawnincanada's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-28-2014 02:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Beccah90,

First of all, let me say that I pleased to make your acquaintance as a fellow PCOSer that has been sleeved. I can't seem to find a forum or group just for us. Yes, it difficult going through cravings and being judged at work. In the beginning before my surgery, if I had anything that wasn't super diet friendly food, there was no end of comments because I am overweight and "what a shame, she has such a beautiful face". People didn't realize that I could eat extremely well, go to the gym and follow all other doctor's orders and still gain. Sometimes, I gave up and ate the darn chocolate anyway! I had to learn to ignore those people. I was worried about getting this procedure done. Everything else I have done with PCOS has failed. What if all I do is cause my self pain and discomfort and I don't lose anything but water weight. I went through with it anyways, and seeing your success so far gives me hope for my own future and tells me that I made the right choice. Now about that chocolate. Get a really dark chocolate and put it in your purse. A little nibble gets your ceratonin going and is actually really good for you. You won't feel like eating more than a bite. Dark chocolate has numerous health benefits. Print of a read up about it from the net and "accientally" leave the paper lying around at work. Now your co-workers are informed and it is no longer your problem.

Name
    Becca Hicks
    Surgery date
    10/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    07-28-2014 03:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnincanada View Post
    Hello Beccah90,

First of all, let me say that I pleased to make your acquaintance as a fellow PCOSer that has been sleeved. I can't seem to find a forum or group just for us. Yes, it difficult going through cravings and being judged at work. In the beginning before my surgery, if I had anything that wasn't super diet friendly food, there was no end of comments because I am overweight and "what a shame, she has such a beautiful face". People didn't realize that I could eat extremely well, go to the gym and follow all other doctor's orders and still gain. Sometimes, I gave up and ate the darn chocolate anyway! I had to learn to ignore those people. I was worried about getting this procedure done. Everything else I have done with PCOS has failed. What if all I do is cause my self pain and discomfort and I don't lose anything but water weight. I went through with it anyways, and seeing your success so far gives me hope for my own future and tells me that I made the right choice. Now about that chocolate. Get a really dark chocolate and put it in your purse. A little nibble gets your ceratonin going and is actually really good for you. You won't feel like eating more than a bite. Dark chocolate has numerous health benefits. Print of a read up about it from the net and "accientally" leave the paper lying around at work. Now your co-workers are informed and it is no longer your problem.
    Hey, girl! I rarely get online anymore because I'm working full time and going to school full time, but I wish you the best of luck! I'm down close to 90 pounds and I'm feeling AWESOME! I've gone from a pant size 24 to a 16 and I'm ecstatic. Not only am I happy about where I am size-wise, but all of my college courses are on the 3rd floor in each building and I take the stairs and STILL am not even close to being out of breath. I'm sleeping so much better and just have a better outlook on life.