Surgery date
    05/16/2013
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 11:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Default Lesson learned.

Hi there! Ok so I'm 3 months post op and I can eat almost anything. I just want to keep accountable and say that "I'm getting back on track." It's not that I've derailed from my compliance, it's more like I've been testing the waters with things that I used to love and they're making me feel awful. But I'm stubborn and seem to give them another try only to feel sick just the same as the first time. I'm referring to breads and sour candy. I feel pretty aweful after eating them. Everything from toast to buns, sour worms and what was one of my vices pre-op: pan dulce. That's Mexican sweet bread. I tried some Friday and my gut felt gross after. I tried a piece again this morning (about 2.5 inches in diameter) with a small amount of OJ andI felt worse than the first time I tried it. My point is that having the surgery is only half of the battle. Discipline and compulsivity are behaviors that need alot of attention to enforce and modify. I'm a work in progress and I get paranoid that I will re-gain the weight I've worked so hard to lose. I'm sure y'all can relate at some level or another. Thank you for reading my post, I hope you're all doing great :]
    Peace and Love,
    Stonefox girl

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Janet B
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. S. McNatt
    Last Activity
    05-20-2021 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,126 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson learned.

You aren't alone. I am 2 months out and reverted back to some of my old ways as well. We are food addicts and surgery isn't going to change that. I think we have to ask ourselves "why do we want it", is there something triggering us to eat these things? If so we need to tackle those triggers and ignore the food. Now that I have said this I know how hard that is. It's all in our heads and sometimes we can't get out of our own head. Best I can recommend is a journal or a blog.... confess to yourself and/or others what you did and what led you there. Then wait a few days and reread what your wrote and see if you can grasp why it happened. These are the things I am going to try. Thanks for sharing and know you aren't alone. It's mind over matter sometimes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Hunterlee's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Balette
    Last Activity
    06-28-2014 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I have not had the surgery yet but that is one of my fears. That after going through all of this I will fall back into old habits and end up back where I started. At least you see that it's something you need to watch. I think that's a big part of NOT falling back into old habits.

Best of luck and you can do this!!
    Hunterlee

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not had been sleeved yet either, I also have the fear of gaining the weight back, however I am a little older and finally have learned that exercise is definitely staying in my life this time. I use to diet and only exercise when losing the weight. Of course I gained all the weight back plus more. But this time around I will not only have my head to remind me what my goal is...but also my new stomach. I have managed to keep at least 20 pounds off the last three years with cutting back on my food and exercising at least every other day. My meds were decreased for my diabetes and high blood pressure, but my goal is to be off all medication if possible. But since starting my journey to get sleeved I exercise everyday...but still struggle with cutting back enough to keep losing weight and not just maintaining. But I will get there...

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    03/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Black
    Last Activity
    03-11-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefoxgirl View Post
    Hi there! Ok so I'm 3 months post op and I can eat almost anything. I just want to keep accountable and say that "I'm getting back on track." It's not that I've derailed from my compliance, it's more like I've been testing the waters with things that I used to love and they're making me feel awful. But I'm stubborn and seem to give them another try only to feel sick just the same as the first time. I'm referring to breads and sour candy. I feel pretty aweful after eating them. Everything from toast to buns, sour worms and what was one of my vices pre-op: pan dulce. That's Mexican sweet bread. I tried some Friday and my gut felt gross after. I tried a piece again this morning (about 2.5 inches in diameter) with a small amount of OJ andI felt worse than the first time I tried it. My point is that having the surgery is only half of the battle. Discipline and compulsivity are behaviors that need alot of attention to enforce and modify. I'm a work in progress and I get paranoid that I will re-gain the weight I've worked so hard to lose. I'm sure y'all can relate at some level or another. Thank you for reading my post, I hope you're all doing great :]
    What you said about discipline and compulsiveness is so true! Last night I found a box of Dot gumdrops and just out of old habits, had to eat three. I am paying for it today! I must have a wad of gumdrop in my little stomach because slow hot liquids are all that will go down and stay down. Like you said, we are works in progress and old habits die hard. Good luck to you as we try to learn these new eating tricks.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stonefoxgirl's Avatar
    Name
    Stonefox
    Surgery date
    05/16/2013
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 11:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Thank you all for responding. It feels like a giant cyber hug :') We are here to support eachother!
    Peace and Love,
    Stonefox girl