Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    10-25-2014 02:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Flying 10 hours straight after surgery?!

I'm from the UK and considering getting the Gastric Sleeve in Mexico. What I'm most worried about is the travel a couple of days after the surgery. Has anyone had experience with a long flight journey after surgery? I get panic attacks quite easily mainly about vomiting, has flying made anyone feel especially nauseous after surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    05-18-2015 10:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Flying 10 hours straight after surgery?!

The surgeon should be keeping you in a fully equipped hospitals for at least 3 nights post op so usually by the 4th day post op you should be good to go. I would ask for an injection of Lovenox right before you board the plane though.

Gastric Sleeve Member Marlene57brown's Avatar
    Name
    Marlene
    Surgery date
    08/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hi Emstar,
    I went from San Diego, stop over in Chicago, then onto Montreal. You should business class going home. More space for you and you can move your legs and toes to prevent possible clots developing. I took a pain pill, didn't feel nauseous at all. Felt a little weak because really it was 4 days since the day before surgery for clear fluids, npo day of surgery, 1st day post op, one Popsicle and some ice chips, second day same thing. The evening at hotel, managed 2 juices and the day I flew, sipped on 1 bottle of apple juice and asked for ice chips. Have a plastic bag in your purse in case you wretch, but you probably won't. When you book your ticket you can ask for medical assistance when you come home. I got to go on before the others. I had asked for a wheelchair thinking that I would need it but couldn't find the help so I just walked slowly and made sure I knew where my gate was for changes. I went to Mexico alone. Going down I had a small suitcase and stored in in the overhead bin, when I came back, checked suitcase so I didn't have to lift it. It went well. Hope I answered most of your questions. Who will you be going to? Marlene

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    01-21-2018 05:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there! You can do what I did and went up to the gate desk and informed the person at the desk that I had just had major surgery and would like to request a pre-boarding pass. This entitled me and my husband to board first and to sit at the very front of the plane. Of course, this was Southwest on a 8 hour flight in the same country and there wasn't any business class seats. I don't know how this will be on a flight to England.
    I basically had no questions asked except she asked me if I had to adhere to any instructions the surgeon said, and I said, yes I have to make sure I have room to stretch out and wiggle my extremities (to prevent blood clots). I didn't have to have any documentation and they didn't hesitate to give us our passes. It was wonderful as I was concerned about this too. I hope that you have someone to accompany you in your travels.

First goal: 175 Ibs; no longer considered obese based on my BMI ~ it's now 29.5 Acheived August 3rd 2013, 74 days after surgery

Second goal: 147 Ibs; no longer considered overweight based on my BMI ~ it's now 24.8 Acheived December 8th 2013, 202 days after surgery

Gastric Sleeve Member NotThatGirl14's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    02-26-2016 01:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I had a 2.5 hour flight about 5 days after surgery. And I will tell you that I was miserable mostly because I couldn't adopt my usual flying position (involving some sort of curling in on myself) Since it's transatlantic, if you fly one of the nicer classes, you could get one of those awesome seats that I usually gaze at longingly as I make my way back to the peasant area. Or...you could stay a few extra days until you feel a bit stronger.

I don't mean this to say it's not possible to tolerate the flight, but, if you could absolutely help it, i'd wait it out or pay for the nicer seats.
    Courage, dear heart.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents