Name
    Macy
    Last Activity
    03-09-2017 12:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Unhappy To sleeve...I think?

Whenever I think I've made my mind up about getting sleeved, it always changes due to questions, self doubt, and others. Like, will I regret this surgery latter on in life since I'm only 22, will I be able to have a healthy child later on in the future, will I be able to withstand being without food for awhile after surgery. Just a shxt load of questions. I don't think I'm strong enough because if I was I wouldn't be thinking about getting a surgery to loose weight. I would have been able to do it on my own. Anyone else felt like me before or after surgery? Possibly, still do? Please write me, add me, give me advice. Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-12-2014 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: To sleeve...I think?

I am 3 weeks post op and I understand you completely. While I have already had the surgery I still wonder if it was the best choice to get this weight off. But we can not stew in our own should ofs, would ofs and could ofs. I woke on on Wednesday and made up my mind that I wanted to give myself the best possible chance of losing and keeping off my extra weight; and I had my surgery on Friday of the same week. It doesn't matter is you go for the surgery or not, you must be comfortable with whatever decision that you make. Just be well informed. Have faith in yourself.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlin
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 405 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't had surgery yet (hopefully in October) BUT if you KNOW you will just keep yo-yo dieting and never be able to keep it off, why wait? What I wouldn't give to have back my younger years with a body that was smaller and healthier! It doesn't appear that pregnancy will be an issue later. They recommend you wait 18 months after surgery. You will be able to get all the nutrients your baby would need. And you will be a healthier happier mom. Why waste your youth fighting the food battle?

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Uretz J. Oliphant
    Last Activity
    06-01-2014 11:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

This post could have been written by me, except I am a lot older than you. I am however, going through the should I or shouldn't I back and forth with myself. Part of me thinks that I should be able to lose weight on my own, and I have, only to gain it all back and then some. The other part of me knows that without help (the surgery) I probably won't lose weight and keep it off because I haven't done it so far, and I am 46 years old.

My advice to you, because you are so young, it is the prime time to have this surgery. If the surgery was available to me 20 years ago, I wouldn't have had to go my entire adult life worrying constantly about my weight, and its effects on me and my health at this age. Never being able to find cute clothes to wear, always being self-conscience, never feeling good about myself, and preventing disease are all the reasons I would have chosen this surgery 20 years ago. Who knows how having this surgery early in life would have changed me for the better. Now I must think about my poor health, the fact that I have gained enormous amounts of weight with all my pregnancies, and now I am gaining weight more rapidly than I ever have thanks to menopause.

For myself, I have pro'd and con'd it to death, and I find that my list of pros far outweighs my cons, and I have decided to have the surgery. I may not know how successful I will be with the surgery, but I sure know how much I've failed without the surgery, so I'm going forward with it. Life is too short to be miserable all of the time.

Hope this helps you some. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. There really are no easy answers, is there?

Dara

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramanathan
    Last Activity
    04-17-2014 12:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I became a Sleevie 3 weeks ago. I understand how you feel, but my mind was fairly made up after my cardiologist said these words to me "Why wait until you're sick to address this issue? You know you'll eventually have heart disease, bad knees, bad hips, and likely develop diabetes. It'll be a harder struggle to fix AFTER you're sick." I cried when I left his office. When I realized that he was right and that the quality of my life had definitely declined, I went to the seminar. When the surgeon said "This is NOT the easy way out. It is only a TOOL in your weight loss." It was as good as a done deal for me. I knew I could accept any TOOL that would help me lose weight and that it didn't mean I was weak. I decided to quit beating myself up and make my life better instead. I really wish that I had done this when I was your age. I'm 45, and I've spent most of my life feeling terrible about myself, struggling physically and psychologically to get through each day, dreading squeezing into seats on a plane, and wishing for enough energy to keep up with my children. I've lost 30% of the weight I need to lose, and I can finally see a brighter future for myself. I wish you the best of luck deciding what to do and the best of luck in your weight loss journey.
    May today be your best day yet,
    Tinamarie

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member indidoodah's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr James Halstead
    Last Activity
    01-14-2020 11:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Hello, thought I would reply because like yourself I am very young (18 to be exact) and I have thought about weight loss for a number of years now. When I turned 18 I knew it was what I wanted to do and researched more into the options - I was deciding between the the band and the sleeve. After a few consultations and taking to my doctor and family I decided to go with the band, I knew it was what I really what I wanted. I have my op in 9 days! Really excited I will let you know how I get on. In the end go with what you feel is right!

Sleeve on the 27/8/2013 at Leeds Nuffield aged 18
    Day of surgery: 298
    Current weight: 157.8

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifton Thomas
    Last Activity
    11-14-2014 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

There is always doubt with any surgery, right now I have been living with the lap band for nine years and soon will be converting to the sleeve due to the band not working anymore. You can have healthy children with any weight loss surgery that doesn't affect anything. I am 36 years old and just had my first child who is now 3 months old and I had a wonderful pregnancy and a beautiful healthy little girl! In fact the weight loss helps you get pregnant!
    Right now I'm having doubts about the conversion just because of surgery again, the eating less part is what I want! I want to get back on track with the weight loss and I can tell you without my surgery the first time I would never have been were I am now! It's a life changing decision but it's one of the best ones I ever made! Stay strong and just know that whatever decision you make it's for yourself!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Picasso Pink's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rob Schuster
    Last Activity
    09-19-2013 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've asked myself the same questions so many times... He** I'm still asking myself those questions (I havent had the surgery yet). I wonder if I've tried hard enough to lose the weight on my own? Is this a lifestyle choice that I want to make for the REST of my life? I'm not as young as you. I'm 34, but there's still a lot of years of very restrictive and controlled habits. Does it always feel restrictive? What are the long term risks of the vitamin deficiencies / supplements?

I want to make a major change. I'm tired of looking and feeling less than my best. But I haven't always been overweight. So, can I just make some major changes and do it on my own? What if I just did the post op diet without having the surgery. Would that work? Could I do it? Has anyone tried it? Would yo yo back? My insurance makes me have 12 months of medically supervised weight loss before they will authorize the surgery. So I guess I have lots of time to consider all of the options and consequences. Maybe that's the point?

My advice or my suggestion is the route that I'm taking. Mostly forced by insurance but kind of glad for the waiting period (well at least some of it ;-). Gives me A LOT of time to be all wishy washy, second guess myself and then hopefully settle on a decision that I'm confident in and that's right for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, in my case, my husband has a heart issue and the other day went to ER for that, heart was ok, but they found a mass in his lung he now has to check out. I worry that if something happens to him how do I take care of myself, I depend on him for so much right now, I was scared and wished I'd lost the weight already so I was prepared for this. I'm afraid to be alone.

Gastric Sleeve Member valdonlon's Avatar
    Name
    Valerie
    Surgery date
    07/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Angstadt
    Last Activity
    11-14-2013 11:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 85 Times
    Blog Entries

Obesity has been classified as a disease. We obviously cannot help it. Well, let me rephrase that..We can all help it and lose weight. But it comes back....It almost always does, rarely do you find someone who lost it and kept it off forever without some type of medical intervention. It doesn't mean you are weak either because you can't lose it. That would make us all weak and lemme tell you, there's a bunch of men and women here that are the strongest people I know...You WILL be able to be a parent someday. You WILL live a much healthier life. Keep thinking about it and don't do anything until you are absolutely sure about it. I'm 20 days out and feeling so proud of myself for making this decision to better my health.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools