08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

Default Re: No way, I can not give up Margaritas!

I was consurned for you and your tummy like alot of ppl here are. Just because its something you dont want to hear doesnt mean we are being mean to you. I dont think you came here for advice. I think you came here for someone to tell you it was okay to drink.

I'm sorry you took it the wrong way and I hope it doesnt hurt you to drink.

Good luck to you and your journey.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bledsoe
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 01:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalMaybe View Post
    I was consurned for you and your tummy like alot of ppl here are. Just because its something you dont want to hear doesnt mean we are being mean to you. I dont think you came here for advice. I think you came here for someone to tell you it was okay to drink.

I'm sorry you took it the wrong way and I hope it doesnt hurt you to drink.

Good luck to you and your journey.
    I appreciate that & thank you so much..but it really wasn't targeted at you.. 'Twas another response.
    But anywho.
    I did come here for advice.. More or less from people that had tried alcohol already after their surgery & how it went for them..
    But I appreciate all feedback.
    Thank you. Good luck with your journey!

Surgery date
    11/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Svendson
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Here is my deal...
    I died and came back 3 times with this surgery. I was in a coma for 3 weeks, then sent to a rehab for 5 weeks. a week from being home was re hospitalized with pneumonia....From that point until mid April (Surgery was 11/27 /12) I was on Oxygen and homebound and bedridden. I didnt have any help at home or boyfriend, husband...friends stopping to help out... I have not even seen or heard from my surgeon or his office for anything, even after I call with a question...sooooooooooooooo

All that being said, the one thing I have learned through all of this, is to appreciate the good things in life and not take anything for granted. I EAT. I DRINK. I LOVE. I LIVE. I do not allow a book to tell me how my body will handle things, because that book certainly didnt tell me I was gunna die and be alone and miserable trying to fight for my life for months on end.

I eat my chocolate in moderation, I drink Chambord, vodka lemonade, and Malibu in moderation because I can. I can find SF mixes for them (they are out there, I found them), I eat pizza with a thin crust so what? If we lie a completely carb free life... we risk ketoacidosis if you are type 1 diabetic.

If there is some one asking a legit question, and THEY know what THEIR body can handle, let them try, what is the worse they can do? Get sick? Then they can blame themselves. We are learning a new way of life, what works for me may not work for you or you or you; but may work for Jane schmoe. Lighten up and be supportive. Watch the tones you use when someone asks something YOU dont agree with.

Ok my banter over. I have never bantered in here before but this is silly for the bashing this gal has gotten over something WE ALL KNOW are docs dont agree on for a time table...just think about why they dont all say the same thing for a minute, why? Hmmm, could it be because each of us are different and our bodies will deal with different things differently? I think that is quite possible, but what do I know? I have only been sleeved 8 months, done 6 years of research---this same procedure has actually been around for 60 + years for ulcer patients; have lost over 160 pounds surpassed my docs goal weight by 15 pounds to date and am still losing...so what do I know.

peace brother and sister sleevers

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bledsoe
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

O my Gaaahh! I LOVE YOU FAWN!!! Lol you're freaking amazing & full of a lot freakin USEFUL knowledge! I appreciate you backing me up & understand what I was saying.. I didn't think I would ever get this kind of feedback on here.. It was astonishing to me! & kinda pissed me off lol
    But there were those of you who were freaking awesome & fully supported me & gave me your honest experiences
    Thank you so so so sooooo much!

Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bill Rizk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 09:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I hear you. It's fun and social to have drinks once in a while. My problem is over eating not over drinking! I would wait for your stomach to heal before trying any alcohol though. Don't want to hurt your stomach.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bledsoe
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
    I hear you. It's fun and social to have drinks once in a while. My problem is over eating not over drinking! I would wait for your stomach to heal before trying any alcohol though. Don't want to hurt your stomach.
    Oh ya! You're so right. I think my problem might have been over eating more than drinking too..
    Thanks for your advice & I will wait for my tummy to be healed

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

My niece had a gastric bypass when she was 20. By 22 all the weight plus a ton more was back on. Her big downfall was drinking in college. And with drinking comes snack foods and bar food and nibbling. I do drink red wine from time to time but I compensate for those calories by counting calories and working on burning calories. I'd be very careful with the drinking and find other ways to celebrate the new you.

Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 898 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponofMassInstruction View Post
    Look, if you cannot refrain from alcohol for one year (the requirement), you really were NOT ready for the surgery. Sorry. It's the truth and I don't believe in bullshit. Yes, you are young, but that is not an excuse to be irresponsible. You need to remember the surgery demands a few protocols to observe to give you a new life. If you want to take a chance and end that life earlier than needed, drink up. If not, buy margarita flavored gum or iced tea (both available) and lose weight and find friends who abstain.
    " ..... refrain from alcohol for one year (the requirement)". ..... This may be the "requirement" for your surgeon but it is NOT the case for all.
    Please remember that each practice has its own standards and that each individual has their own journey.
    I take offence that your "great wealth of experience" deems that someone like me was not ready for surgery because I like a glass of wine with my meal. Culturally I have had wine with meals since I was in my early teens. My health problems did not include any addictive issues with food and why should i justify myself to you (alcohol bully). Comments like yours make me want to stop contributing to the blog.

Gastric Sleeve Member applejacks's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yenumula
    Last Activity
    05-06-2014 04:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

I agree COMPLETELY with Bilby about every practice has their own standards.
    Some examples:

Practice A-
    10% Weight loss prior to surgery required
    No Soda/Carbonation EVER again for life
    No Caffeine ever again
    No pre-op liquid diet
    No Alchohol ever
    After surgery diet - 3 day clear fluids only/ 2 weeks full liquids/ 2 weeks soft foods and mushies/ solid food 1200 cal or less per day

Practice B-
    No weight loss required prior to surgery but
    1 week pre-op Liquid only diet
    No soda/carbonation for 6 months
    Caffeine OK after 6 months
    Alcohol only after 1 year
    After surgery diet - 2 day clear fluids only/ 1 weeks full liquids/ 1-2 weeks soft foods and mushies/ solid food 1000 cal or less per day

Practice C -
    No weight loss required prior to surgery but
    2 weeks liquid only diet prior to surgery
    Soda/Carbonation and Caffeine all ok in 3 months
    Alcohol after stomach heals about 3 - 4 months

My point is that I see some of these scenarios ALL the time on here. Every practice and every surgeon has their own suggestions and requirements for before and after surgery. So let's support eachother on here and remember that just because 1 person has to follow a certain plan and requirements set forth by their doctor not everyone has the same plan. If people are concerned then you can "nicely" tell someone that you are concerned and advise them to ask their surgeon instead of turning "brash/mean/judgemental" (whatever you want to call it) on someone else. We are all here for a similar reason but no 2 cases are exactly alike.

Hang in there Mel....just ask your surgeon and if he/she feels it's ok for you to have a small drink 4-6 weeks out then go for it. Most of us chose this surgery to "LIVE" happily and that's what you deserve

Highest Wt. before LapBand(11/2006) -416 lbs.
    Day of Surgery to remove LapBand (6/26/13) -330 lbs.
    Goal Wt. to get Sleeve Surgery -320 lbs.
    1st Mini Goal Wt. 295 lbs. -
    2nd Mini Goal Wt. 275 lbs. -
    3rd Mini Goal Wt. 250 lbs. -
    4th Mini Goal Wt. 225 lbs. -
    5th Mini Goal Wt. 195 lbs. -
    6th Mini Goal Wt. 180 lbs. -
    Goal Wt. 170 lbs. -

Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bill Rizk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 09:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I am very thankful that you started this thread. I too am a social drinker and have no intention of giving up alcohol for the rest of my life! If I do good with my eating all week I will not hesitate to have some empty calories on a Saturday night with my friends!

Gastric Sleeve Member newme4ever's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    06/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pham
    Last Activity
    07-16-2014 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

My Dr. said 6 months, I am not a big drinker and I prefer to be my husbands DD BUT there will be occasions when I would like a drink or a glass of wine, I have no desire to give that up completely. I will include what I am drinking in my Calorie count and be conscious of empty calories so I am thinking my drink of choice will be grape vodka and water because it tastes like grape kool-aid. The only warning my Dr gave me is I will get drunk fast so be careful. Good luck to you, I know I will be thinking about this blog when I take my 1st sip and smile!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I absolutely love a glass of wine... I asked my Dr. what protocol was for this and he recommended waiting 2-4 months to allow healing and solid weight loss. Also reminded me that a little will go a very long way. He recommended that I try it at home first to gauge how my body reacted before being out in public and accidentally ending up drunk. Everyone has their own opinion, drink, don't drink, in the end, like making the decision to have the sleeve, you will do your research, gather the facts and opinions and make the best decision that is right for you and your journey. I also found a Crystal Light called Mojito and Margarita - have to say, they are really tasty!

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

I was told no alcohol until 1 year post-op. I was never a big drinker prior to surgery, but I did enjoy my margaritas quite a bit!

Funny thing though... my first test of drinking after surgery I had 1 8 oz margarita. Not a good experience. I tried drinking alcohol a few more times spaced FAR apart after that first margarita as a post op, and now I do not drink AT ALL because my body can no longer handle it, and it's just not worth it to me LOL. Wondering what happens?

After less than 1/2 a shot of liquor, half a beer, half glass of wine, whatever... I experience the buzz stage, the slightly drunk stage, the wearing off of feeling high stage, the nausea stage and the IRREPRESSIBLE NEED TO PASS OUT AND SLEEP STAGE all in about 45 minutes to 1 hour after having a drink. Totally NOT worth it for me LOL. Bless those who can still enjoy their cocktails/beer/wine as post-ops! I guess my point is, you may find you don't like it anyway post-surgery, but you will never know until you try

Good luck to you in your journey!
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member shortnsweet24's Avatar
    Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Kemmerling
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

I had this surgery to live - not count calories and not have this or that... It is about moderation. I had my first drink at 6 weeks. You don't need much (lightweight!) and I would suggest trying to find something that is a little lighter (to be honest I had a strawberry margarita and it was too sweet for me and gave me a tummy ache but pina coladas and wine are just right ). I am still avoiding carbonated alcoholic drinks.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member cashmere sweaters's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Melo
    Last Activity
    09-13-2017 12:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LisaFlores View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a forum to share and not be so negative to people. If she wants to have a drink and she feels she is able to cause she knows her body NOT you then she can. I don't think it's right for people to judge or put someone down just because you refrained from doing something. Everyone's different. I had a fry at two weeks post op. so what, shoot me!
    I agree with Lisa. Everyone has a different experience and each doctor does things differently as well as far as post op instructions. She should feel free to try to see if she can tolerate. If not, then, she should just not do it for a while.

23. Said thanks: