Surgeon
    Dr Atkinson
    Last Activity
    12-27-2014 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default What are your regrets about getting the sleeve or lap band

I'm really on the fence with getting the sleeve surgery, I keep getting persuaded into the sleeve and then talked out of and into the lapband. Ive read so many posts from people that seem to happy with their prodecure, but the few I've talked to in person have regretted it. Please help I'm so confused !!!!!

2. The following 165 users said welcome Aspinetti to GastricSleeve.com!

1happyloser2b, 1SlimLady, 5stars, 619Diva, ACE, adoremi, amella50, amy matheny, AmyInOrlando, annakharrison, AnnieT, babypnut, Batmanswifeisloosing, binalyn, BodyRock, Bonnie.76, Breen, browneyes6789, bscastaneda, Calico, carol62, cbridges1962, cdogg12, chammons1231, ChefJenn74, chelleboo, cherbear53, christine53, cirquedallas, CoComom, cycleoldlady, dbarnes7, Debbie Jones, ecarasick83, EGV-Actor, Elizarvs, Fatfloydfan, fcprincess, Feather370, flowergirl, GinnyRose, goestogym, goldengal, gregorygirl, grimace1, Happagirl, Harley Granny, Harts4you, healedheart, HoosierGirl, hope4meyet, ILoveMyBoutique, InnerBeauty, Island Girl, j5Yolanda, jennak89, Joolah, journeytogether13, jrenee63, Juliebythec, katente, Kay4, kcgt, kdbressie, KebfromCincy, KESH, Khartt, Kimpossible318, KimReed, Ladyinwaiting, LagunaLucy, lakester, Lalaangeleyes, LauriDor, LCalhoun01, LeisaMcD, lighterlori'slovelylife, lisab215, LisaI, LisaNunu, livingonaprayer, lizpuga4186, ltlsqueak, lunamiah, lundbergmn, Luvem82, Maia0628, Mamagogo3, Marisol, martav, Mary-ann, MediaHound, melanie0941, melodicmom, MELR, Mikamom, MissDion, Mithy1, mlrisser, MrsB0324, Ms. S, Muppin, N2DVN, nana banana, NancyN, Nani, Nel, Netekay, newme4ever, NTV TXN, NubianBenz, nursebeth, OmShanti, pconrad, pebbles10116, Peg, PitPat, Pkay, reading mom, Red Hot Mama, releasenready, ReneeB, robsgal, Roshus Girl, rowdyjube, Saints_Fan, Sallyrj, Samaiya827, scentual1, SethP, Sharonlags, sharpeij, shasta, shaun27565, shrinkingkiwi, sksmith, Slamer3, slimpickens, Small Car, T-bone, tbminter, tbrown9, tea-el-w, tempred, TexasLady, TheNewKevin, TheSleever, The_Redhead, Think, TieDyed_Angel, TinaRuth, Toidboid, Town976, Trophywife, Truebody, TulipMom, turtlewoman, twinmom93, twnsn2000, Varden's Lady, wannabhealthy50, WeaponofMassInstruction, ximmia, yankegal, Zewski1602

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yu
    Last Activity
    08-26-2013 12:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: What are your regrets about getting the sleeve or lap band

Please do not even consider the band...Look up the failure rates. I had the band about 7 years ago and it ruined my esophagus to the point where I had fuid back up in my lungs every morning for about 2 months. I would have to cough the liquid up all day every day. TMI...Most doctors are not performing the band any longer. Please just research it???

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patrick White
    Last Activity
    03-15-2017 08:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,661 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had as close to perfect an experience as possible so far with the sleeve. I wish I would have done it about 4 years ago after I'd recovered a year from my c-section. I hope you can make a choice that right for you.

Height 5' 10"

Weight 1st NUT appt- 342
    Day of surgery 7/11/13- 319
    One month 8/11/13- 290
    Two month 9/11/13- 273
    Three month 10/11/13- 264
    Four month 11/11/13- 260
    Five month 12/11/13-252
    Six month 01/11/14-248
    Seven month 02/11/14-243
    Eight month 03/11/14-240

Name
    PitPat
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Turton
    Last Activity
    01-21-2015 12:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 231 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,479 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome!!! I will tell you from my point of view the sleeve wins hands down!! I had the lapband and I was miserable the two years I had it! I threw up nearly every day, had to go back every month for it to be checked to see if I needed a fill or not. The port came loose and I had to have another surgery to have it re-attached. Like I said, it was a pain! I hope this has helped you. Wishing the best with whatever you decide.
    Blessings......
    PitPat

Name
    Luv
    Surgery date
    05/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zelada
    Last Activity
    03-02-2014 06:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,363 Times
    Blog Entries

I have talked to some one who has the band and she eats the same as before no weight loss and you wouldn't know she had a surgery I have small portions and I quit soda I am not upset about it ( I had the sleeve in may) ... you will have cravings but they go away eventually

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

I have never personally talked to anyone that has been sleeved that has regretted it, and not many here have posted regrets. On the flip side, I have seen MORE that were hating the band, had failures, had slips or damage or no loss or WHATEVER. seriously, the band has so many postings online about regrets and failures that its hard to believe anyone gets it anymore.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-12-2014 04:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

This is really hard to say. I do not want to change anyones mind on a surgery that could change your life for the better. I got the surgery because I am addicted to food. If it tasted good I ate it all! I thought about food 24/7 and I did not have the willpower to diet. I tried and tried but always failed and binged.
    Its emotional and extremely hard. You are on a diet, sure you can have your treats but really you are restricted forever.
    The day I had surgery there were 8 of us being sleeved. 4 of were having their lap bands revised into the sleeve. Because they had slipped or were unsuccessful. I personally dont think the lapband would have worked for me because I could just have the liquid removed and my old stomach back. I have a willpower issue when it comes to my food addiction. Another sad thing is if you dont follow your diet plan and rules FOREVER you can gain all your weight back with any gastric surgery. This is because once you are on normal foods again its easy to snack all day on the wrong foods and pack the calories in.
    Things are getting better and better every day, and it is a lot easier to make the right choices with the restriction.
    I hope you make the right choice for you. This is a very big life changing decision take your time and make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Gastric Sleeve Member Scubagecko's Avatar
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sang-Moon Han
    Last Activity
    12-15-2020 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times

My only regret of getting sleeved was that I didn't do it years ago.

Total inches lost to date 38.6 inches 98.0 cm
    Highest weight 325
    1st Goal - below 300 (12/12/30) 9 days after surgery'
    2nd Goal - 265 weight I met my wife (13/2/23)
    3rd Goal - 250 lowest weight in my 30's (15/4/2013)
    4th Goal - 215 lowest weight as an adult ()
    5th Goal - below 200 ()

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I researched the band for about 2 years. I refused to consider the sleeve because I thought it was to drastic. I knew from all my research that the band was not right for me so finally one day I looked up the sleeve and knew instantly it was the right surgery for me! I'm 11 months out and loving it

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Reading your post it sounds like you're not really ready for surgery, and you're considering the band rather than the sleeve because you want to keep yourself a way out of it. My feeling is that if someone was really ready for a life-changing procedure to tackle their weight problems, they would know from all the band failure stories that the sleeve is definitely a superior way to go. I booked myself for consultations about the band about 18 months before I had the sleeve, and then read all about it on the web and how many people had problems and revisions, and it became clear to me that it was hit and miss on it's success rate, and had lots of complications for lots of people down the road requiring removal. I didn't know about the sleeve at that point, so I just cancelled my consults and struggled on for another year until I heard about this procedure. When I saw my surgeon for a consult he said something like "to be honest, the band is not the way to go, some people still want it and I do it if they really want it and understand the risks, but it's more hassle than it's worth. I recommend the sleeve or the bypass."

Also - it worries me a little that you say "I keep getting persuaded ..... talked out of .......talked into", as though your decision is determined by other people. This is a big deal and nobody is going to live with the consequences but you, so make sure it's your choice.

No judgement of you for this - it's ok not to be ready, and it would be ok never to be ready. This isn't a moral issue, just a health one. People find it hard to commit to the idea of significant and permanent change for their health.

So what I would say to you is consider hard whether you want gastric surgery in general - including all that it requires from you. Can you be ok with never eating a big meal again (recognising that your body will feel differently, so it won't be like starving yourself on a 'diet'). Are you ok with committing to changing your eating style to be healthier in general, and pick up some exercise (doesn't have to be huge amounts - but people who exercise on the whole tend to do better long term with the sleeve). If you're not ready for your side of the bargain, then don't do the band as some in-between version. Again - no criticism of you if the answer is no.

I have not regretted my surgery decision for one nanosecond. I feel relieved that I don't fight with the constant urge to eat, and to keep eating once I've started. I'm glad that the sleeve is permament because I want a permanent change to my eating and weight. I'm glad that once it's done, your body gets to function just as it always has done with reduced stomach capacity and less hunger hormone. Same valves in and out of your stomach - whereas the band is a foreign body which frequently damages stomach tissue doing a very poor imitation of managing food out of your stomach.

I am living my life completely differently and very happily almost a year out. If I hadn't had the surgery, I would still be overweight and feeling bad about my inability to overcome it.

Think about yourself in 1 year, then 5 years, then 10 years, then 20 years, then 40 years down the line with having surgery, and then without having surgery. Then, if you really want surgery because you want the rest of your life to be completely different, I think the sleeve obviously wins hand down.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member johnny15676's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Marco Adamo
    Last Activity
    11-08-2021 01:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome - I would agree with the other posters about the band being a bad idea. My surgeon told me that they are now removing more bands than they are fitting them. Make sure you are fully informed about the drawbacks of the band before going for it.

I had my sleeve on the 16/07 and so far its gone really well. I was feeling pretty crappy for a 2-3 days after the surgery (but I think that was mostly down to a bad reaction to the anaesthetic).

So far - no regrets at all. The weight is coming off and I am very confident I will hit my target weight.

Gastric Sleeve Member ggibson1038's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Tri State Bariatrics
    Last Activity
    06-11-2020 09:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

The Band was not even an consideration for me. I have a friend who had the band and he is still very big. Plus, most folks who have the surgery would never want to change so I decided that the sleeve was the right tool for me. It is not a cure though, you have to be ready to make a permanent lifestyle change to make it successful.

Surgery date
    07/23/2013
    Last Activity
    01-22-2014 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

My surgeon refuses to give anyone the band anymore. He says it does not work long term. I know of two people with the band that have had severe esophagus issues from it that have required further surgery.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi! Personally I've done a lot of research and it seems everyone Is much happier with the sleeve. I've known several people that did the lapband and now wish they hadn't. They seemed to gain the weight back for whatever reason. Best of luck to you in your decision!

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

My Doctor doesn't do that Band any more. So the sleeve it was. And I love it! The only thing I do not like is my saggy skin. I am 54 and my skin is awful. But clothes hide most of it and my Husband could care less. So all is good. If you don't know in your heart that you are ready for a "I am done with this crap" feeling then you are not ready. Just saying Good Luck!